[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - What Other Kind of Music Do You Listen To?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What Other Kind of Music Do You Listen To?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:11 am 
Surely none of us only listens to film/TV music. I'm keen on jazz, classic rock, '80s/early '90s hip-hop, and some country and pop. Classic rock can't be beat, with the usual assortment of groups including Rush, Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Nine Inch Nails...

How about you?

Post subject: Re: What Other Kind of Music Do You Listen To?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:09 am 

The rare chance I'm not listening through film music scores, I'm listening to either pop rock, or 80s synth.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:58 am 

Outside of my 90-minute analog-cassette and full-CD anthologies of treasured individual songs which I've compiled periodically since 1986, here are the separate non-film-music albums and classical pieces to which I still return with the most pleasure:

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass: their '60s albums, especially Tijuana Brass Vol. 2, South of the Border, and Herb Alpert's 9th [my love of these LPs helped feed my adolescent transition toward Ennio Morricone with FISTFUL OF DOLLARS]
Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings
The Beatles: Abbey Road
L.V. Beethoven: piano sonatas Moonlight, Pathetique, and Appassionata; Symphony No. 7
Leonard Cohen: esp. I'm Your Man; The Future
Nat "King" Cole: Love Is the Thing
Sam Cooke: 28-song anthology The Man and His Music
Claude Debussy: The Girl With the Flaxen Hair; Clair de Lune
Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms
The Drifters: The Drifters' Golden Hits
Antonin Dvorak: Symphony No. 9
Enya: esp. Watermark; The Memory of Trees; The Celts; Shepherd Moons; A Day Without Rain; and Amarantine
Roberta Flack: Killing Me Softly
The Four Tops: Anthology
George Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
Philip Glass: Dancepieces; Songs From Liquid Days
The Grateful Dead: American Beauty
Quincy Jones: Quincy Jones Plays the Hip Hits (Big Band jazz that incidentally includes my favorite cover of Gold's EXODUS theme)
Scott Joplin: his piano rags as performed by Joshua Rifkin (or orchestrally by the Southland Stingers); the opera Treemonisha (the 1975 Deutsche Gramophone recording)
Franz Liszt: esp. Mephisto Waltz; La Campanella; Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2; Liebestraum; and Les Preludes
Dory Previn: Mythical Kings and Iguanas; We're Children of Coincidence and Harpo Marx
Maurice Ravel: The Bolero
Diana Ross and the Supremes: Anthology
Simon and Garfunkel: Bridge Over Troubled Water
Paul Simon solo: Graceland
Frank Sinatra: September of My Years
Cat Stevens: esp. Mona Bone Jakon; Teaser and the Firecat; Tea for the Tillerman
Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life; Hotter Than July

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:04 pm 

What's this -- this thread is up for three days, and nobody else bothers to identify or recommend other music that more of us might discover?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm 

Warren Zevon - John Hiatt - Ry Cooder (A bit of crossover there) - Billy Joel - Nick Lowe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm 

IRON MAIDEN. Very cinematic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
I listen to mostly classical music, I don't know how much exactly but probably more than half of what I listen to falls into the general domain of classical music, from Bach to Brahms to Penderecki.

The rest is film music, jazz, rock/pop, techno, industrial, house, whatever....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:32 am 

Ravel is my favorite classical composer -- I love "Daphnis et Chloe" (a huge inspiration on Goldsmith's Legend and other fantasy scores), "Mother Goose Suite", "Pavane", "Valses nobles et sentimentales" (can't stand "Bolero" though!).

Debussy -- "La Mer" (another big influence on film music), "Trois Nocturnes".

Takemitsu -- "Toward the Sea II", "Tree Line", "A String Around Autumn".

Corigliano -- "Creations", "Promenade Overture", "Elegy for Orchestra", "Voyage for Flute and Sting Orchestra".

Messiaen -- most of his organ works ("La Nativite du Seigneur: Dieu parmi nous" is one of the most extraordinary things you'll ever hear).

I'm also a big fan of some of Vangelis' non-film music, like "Rosetta", and like portions of "Direct", "Mask", and the album of Greek hymns he recorded with Irene Papas, "Rapsodies".

Predictably, I also enjoy concert works by some "film" composers -- Kamen's "Concerto for Saxophone", Williams' "Five Sacred Trees", and some tracks on Barry's "Beyondness of Things" and "Eternal Echoes".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:27 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]