[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - It's that Halloween Season!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: It's that Halloween Season!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 pm 

October is my favorite month, and it's been a tradition with me to dive into music from horror films and thrillers this time of month. Then it occurred to me that, that's the low hanging fruit. Sure it's easy to settle in with a viewing of HALLOWEEN or TRICK 'R TREAT or listen to A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. But what about films that center around Halloween that are not horror films. HOCUS POCUS is an obvious example, with it's beautiful John Debney score. MGM was just running LADY IN WHITE (which starts on Halloween), so I got a chance to revisit it with its sumptuous score by Frank LaLoggia (one of my favorites of 1988 and very much in the Elmer Bernstein vein). A neat, stylish film. On NetFlix I'm in the middle of watching BOYS IN THE TREES. I haven't finished it yet so I can't confirm where this film is going, only that the score is kind of in and out one ear.

What other Halloween films with scores, remarkable or forgettable, do you recommend, that aren't horror?

Post subject: Re: It's that Halloween Season!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:19 pm 

Casper. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:58 pm 

CASPER is definitely a good pick.

In a similar family film vein, THE HAUNTED MANSION.

THE ADDAMS FAMILY and ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES.

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS and CORPSE BRIDE.

E.T. takes place around Halloween, lest we forget. :)

Perhaps COMEDY OF TERRORS.

Not all of the above center on Halloween per se, but they fit the bill thematically...

I might also suggest SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (either score) -- though this one may in fact be considered a horror film, depending who you ask.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
The Karate Kid. I must have seen that movie about fifty times as a kid, and one of the aspects that continues to stand out to me is the Halloween party. Even listening to the score by itself brings out a Halloween/autumnal mood because of that association. Both the film and score are brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 pm 

Great thread! I’ll strongly second Casper, as it’s one of my favorite Horner scores and quite an underrated one at that. I watch the film and listen to its score quite often during this time of year. Hocus Pocus is a must, indeed. Another great family film with a terrific score (although sadly still unreleased) is The Witches. It’s a great film for this time of year.

In addition to those, there’s always the customary ones many may mention:

Danny Elfman’s Beetlejuice
Elmer Bernstein’s Ghostbusters
James Horner’s Something Wicked This Way Comes
Howard Shore’s Ed Wood
David Newman’s Meet the Applegates
Douglas Pipes’ Monster House
Speaking of Newman, I also love watching Little Monsters during this time of year, as well.
I always check out Chris Young’s Flowers in the Attic during this time of year, too. Beautiful and haunting.

And I’ve always enjoyed some elements of Mark Isham’s Fire in the Sky, too - especially the cue “Evil Spirits from the Sky,” though perhaps that film borders on horror a bit?

But of course, maybe these are all low-hanging fruit, as well? :)

I’ll post more if they come to mind.

Last edited by ProsePrevails on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:38 pm 

The score that comes to my mind this time of the year is Providence, (Miklos Rózsa).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:17 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:27 pm 

I eat & breathe Halloween year round, but even more the month of - I go through a similar low hanging fruit process too after the NOES & Carpenter series are tackled....

I had to offer one very unlikely, very fun & ultimately absolutely gorgeous overlooked piece...

Chris Gordon's WHEN GOOD GHOULS GO BAD. The album is fun but not idiotic, menacing when necessary (those trombones!!) and in the penultimate 10min. cue, utterly poignant . Who knows what this incredible piece scores, I can never watch the Fox family film that spawned this music, but definitely seek the album out! !

-Sean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:31 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm 

The favorite in our house is The Raven with Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and Boris Karloff. That makes a great light Halloween treat.

And a couple of Disney treats: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is one of my very favorite cartoons ever. And just because we played it all the time when my daughter was little - Mickey's House of Villains - where all the Disney villains take over the House of Mouse animated variety show. It's kind of a hoot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 pm 

Two more at ya that are spinning in Casa Goblini tonight.

Intrada's own DR. GIGGLES by Brian May.
A semi-golden age Gothic throwback for a contemporary slasher - unheard of now, right? I'm glad the filmmakers kept tongue and cheek & let the composer homage the Universal classics.

Carl Davis' FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND on BSX.
Another Gothic symphonic work, very underrated & overlooked.
Davis takes a shot at the Hammer-James Bernard playbook in my opinion. Excellent album!

-Sean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm 

I’m listening to the great Herrmann-esque “Throw Momma from the Train” by the talented David Newman. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:27 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]