[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The Brave Little Toaster - To The Rescue / Goes to Mars

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Brave Little Toaster - To The Rescue / Goes to Mars
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:10 am 

I guess you're probably thinking, what the heck is THIS kind of a request? But as quoted from Toaster in the original film: "You can do what you like. We're not gonna give up hope!"

I watched the two direct-to-video sequels back-to-back a couple of days ago - they're definitely, well, "kid-fare" if you want to call it that. Perhaps it's the inner child in me, but I don't think either of these two movies were that bad at all. They're decent enough, but certainly not masterpieces as they lack the charm and dark undertones/messages of the original film.

I quite enjoy the original scores given to them, however. An orchestra was utilized for both films, recorded and performed in Seattle. There's an obvious sinister/dread theme present throughout Brave Little Toaster To The Rescue, as well as a secondary hopeful theme in the second half of the film.

I'd say there's enough music to fill up one entire CD, or spread out amongst two CDs - the running time for both films combined is 147 minutes.

Here are the facts:

- Alexander Janko composed and conducted the scores for both films (he served as a primary orchestrator for David Newman from 1995 to 2000, and also co-composed the music for My Big Fat Greek Wedding).

- The production rights reside with Hyperion Pictures and The Kushner-Locke Company, according to IMDb (Disney only owns the home video and distribution rights). Taylor White would know how to contact them, since Percepto released the soundtrack for the original Brave Little Toaster film, also owned by the same companies.

- There are 8 musical numbers in the two movies (4 for each movie) - credits are as follows:

Music: William Finn
Lyrics: Ellen Fitzhugh
Arrangement: Alexander Janko

I can see it now... a 2CD presentation of both scores (maybe not necessarily complete, but a darn great package overall!), as a Signature Edition limited to 1000 copies. ;)

I can also pull up examples and highlights of both scores, if so desired. I believe the films are uploaded to YouTube as well.

Doug, Roger? How feasible is an undertaking like this, for a pairing of animated films? I'm a sucker for animation in general and also somewhat feel as though the genre is somewhat neglected in the limited edition score market these days. If you guys could make this happen, it would definitely make my month. Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: The Brave Little Toaster - To The Rescue / Goes to Mars
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 am 

Hi Roger! I'm quite surprised to see that you responded here... I don't think I've ever seen that happen in the Suggestion Box! :D

That's unfortunate if the David Newman score was a tough sell for Percepto... I wonder if it was limited to a certain number of copies, or was it unlimited? In any case, if you check out the Soundtrack Views and Opinions board here, The original Brave Little Toaster soundtrack was repressed and is available again at Screen Archives. I couldn't be happier to finally order a copy of this fantastic score.

If you do decide to undertake this project for the sequel films (To the Rescue and Goes to Mars), I'd be willing to help out in any way I can. There's some really great music in both of these films, in my opinion - and since I just watched both of these a couple of weeks ago, they're still fresh in my mind. It appears that Alexander Janko only scored 3 or 4 films at most, so to have his music released would be quite interesting.

Given the circumstances involved with business and economics these days... I'd be disappointed if it can't happen, but I'll be able to move on. But if you ever need my assistance, you're more than welcome to contact me in private... I think you know where to reach me at. ;) (My name's Lucas)

Thank you once again for seeing this.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:14 pm 

Percepto's CD was limited to 3,000 copies and sold out 2,500 (at the time they didn't know they missed 500, but they're selling them now) in half a year or a year or so. It wasn't THAT tough a sell. You want a "Tough" sell, look at some of the FSM CDs still sitting there after years. So, it sold okay.

But I have a hard time beleiving the second score would move even 2,000 copies.

THE PRISONER

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:43 pm 

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:26 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:51 pm 

I still hold out hope for a possible release of these two scores...

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:09 pm 

I'd just like to express my own interest in these. Opinions on the movies aside, the music ain't bad. I'd love a soundtrack release on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 am 

I'm surprised to see this bumped near the top of the board after all this time.

As much as I'd love a release of these scores, I was way too optimistic in the past and I just don't see this ever happening. Alexander Janko is pretty well unknown outside of his most prestigious work, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. We'd probably be the only two people who would even buy this, lol. (I can't even bear to reread my own posts from years ago...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 pm 

I'd buy this.
j.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:43 pm