[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces THE WAR OF THE WORLDS/WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces THE WAR OF THE WORLDS/WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:45 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (Leith Stevens)
WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (Leith Stevens)
THE NAKED JUNGLE (Danielle Amitheatrof)
CONQUEST OF SPACE (Van Cleave)

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 202

Before Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Peter Jackson, one man captivated film audiences with colorful, big-budget science fiction and fantasy spectaculars: George Pal. Pal would produce four highly imaginative films during the period 1951-1955: When Worlds Collide (1951), The War Of The Worlds (1953), The Naked Jungle (1954) and Conquest of Space (1955). These pictures would employ top actors, large casts and the elite of the Paramount special effects and art departments, and each would provide film composers with the opportunity to underscore spectacle, astonishing visual effects, terror and intense human drama.

With its world-spanning plot and chaotic scenes of humanity preparing for the threat of approaching planets, When Worlds Collide features by far the busiest and most energetic score of the three sci-fi films represented on this set. Leith Stevens' eerie, foreboding melody for the approaching planets dominates the score, reinforcing both the menace of the looming planets and the boiling cauldron of human emotions that threaten to derail humanity's last hopes.

The War Of The Worlds showcased scenes of destruction and mass panic that outdid even When Worlds Collide. Leith Stevens managed to find a fresh way to pay homage to Gustav Holsts's "Mars, The Bringer Of War" from The Planets. Instead of mimicking Holst's famous rhythms, Stevens overlays driving percussion onto his main title music, which launches from a spiky, startling fanfare through a gloomy yet propulsive dirge for humanity finally brightening into brilliant, spine-chilling major chords.

With its lurid title, well-established actors and unique "invaders," The Naked Jungle might be George Pal's strangest film but also one of his strongest human dramas. Composer Daniele Amfitheatrof had ample experience scoring dramatic films, and he possessed the technical background to create the sort of orchestral fireworks necessary to reinforce the idea of an army of killer ants advancing through a jungle.

Pal returned to "hardware" science fiction in 1955's Conquest of Space, an ambitious epic about a flight to Mars. The score primarily called for bright, semi-militaristic music for the space mission, an ethereal portrait of outer space itself and some psychological shading for the mission commander. Van Cleave created a noble march that recurs throughout much of the score, embodying the driven character of Commander Merritt but ultimately standing for the heroic nature of the mission.

For this 2-CD set, spearheaded by Lukas Kendall, Intrada had access to all existing materials. The War Of The Worlds, The Naked Jungle and Conquest Of Space are mastered from 35mm protection copies of the music tracks at Paramount Pictures, in varying degrees of completeness. The Naked Jungle is the only title to survive in three-track stereo, one of the earliest scores so recorded at Paramount. When Worlds Collide is presented in complete form, largely from acetates. All combined, this set presents a rare, but thrilling listen into the sci-fi/adventure sound of George Pal's '50s Paramount epics.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 202
Retail Price: $29.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7685/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE WAR OF THE WORLDS/WHEN WORLDS COLL
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:15 pm 

Brilliant release, many thanks Intrada folks...ordered! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:23 pm 

That's great! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:31 pm 

What has been done here is that Roger, Doug and Lukas have accessed the memory engrams of my thirteen-year old self and made one of the purest desires of myself at that age into a CD set. I am torn between being outraged at the violation of my privacy and complete bliss that this CD set exists.

Really, you guys should have asked first before poking around in my mind like that. It would be one thing if it was just this one time, but you've all done it before.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 am 

Now we are talking, true cinema in all its glory.
These samples really draw you in & that artwork is incredible.
Team Intrada have waved there magic wands again & now notes are flying out of my wallet.
Congratulations to all involved a job well done :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:57 am 

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of yet another Intrada must-have.

Thanks, you guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:35 pm 

Thanks for wiping off four grails from my list in one fell swoop. You guys are the best. (Ordered one for my brother to stoke his nostalgia.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 pm 

BRILLIANT! 8)

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, was one of my few remaining sci-fi movie grails,
and is greatly appreciated. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:56 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Does THE WAR OF THE WORLDS soundtrack contain the music of the opening narration that follows the Main Title?
That music has been irreversibly imprinted into my brain since childhood, my favorite section of the music. Would be a shame if the recording of that piece has gone lost or is beyond restoration.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm 

Has this gone out yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:50 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 am 

After a few days of listening, and digesting the music from various CD players around the house and inside my Prius, I can say, by far the best of the four scores is IMHO The Naked Jungle. I also like that film above the other three, so that's probably got something to do with it. But I'm . . .I'm loving all these releases from Paramount.

Lately, I feel as if I've somehow taken a turn into an alternate reality now that Intrada keeps putting out these gems from out collective past , when I know I've been living in a reality where this music never had a chance to see the light, or is it that there are amongst us some seriously dedicated mad-men looking out?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:34 pm 

With the re-issue of certain Intrada titles over the last couple of years, I was wondering if there are any plans to re-release this CD?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:43 pm 

Any updates to a possible re-issue?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]