Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bernstein: Eames films, on the Amber label
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:18 pm 

Even though Intrada sold out of this, I gotta promote it:

http://www.soundtrack.net/album/music-f ... olume-one/

This music is so, so very exemplary of the sounds of this era: the small ensembles and the particular harmonies.

(The other example I specifically recall sounding like this, from this period, is Meyer Kupferman's "A Christmas Memory," the TV dramatization of Truman Capote's story).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0vjTfVyZco

I wonder if it was Bernstein who set the examples or was only following them.

"Ask [the director] where the camera comes from and I'll tell him where the music comes from" (David Raksin)

Post subject: Re: Bernstein: Eames films, on the Amber label
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:28 am 

I have that recording. It's great early Elmer Bernstein. I would think orchestras for the old radio broadcasts were small, the Bernard Hermann scores for CBS come to mind.

I visited the Eames house awhile back. Weird place with a lot of contemporary homes all around it now. Supposedly people are supposed to park their cars a few blocks away and walk up the street leading to it. I saw no signs and drove right up the driveway and caught some glares from a couple of neighborhood snoops. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Bernstein: Eames films, on the Amber label
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:39 pm 

Toccata for Toy Trains was recorded for the Filmmusic Club Collection as side B with The Silver Chalice on side A.
EB conducted with a small group of musicians with the TFTT showing on screen while EB used an actual click track.
If you were at the Oakland Museum Symposium in March of 76 you could have watched this happen. Magic moment.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]