Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RAMBO III
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 pm 

GoblinScore wrote:
If this happens on 2cds....any chance of including the Scoti Bros program, or the parts not represented by Intrada? I don't think I've even heard that one, I only know Intrada 's!

-Sean

Actually, we're working on this idea as i write. The never-before-released alternate for "Another Time", which is shorter with a slightly altered performance of the trumpet solo, is actually the version used in the film. So I really want to have it on this completely re-mastered version... which means a 2-CD set would be necessary. It turns out the cue called "Insane" was edited onto another cue way back when so it'll appear just as it always has after all. A previously unreleased separate take of the percussion section for "The Joust" also has a couple of seconds of tympani pre-roll that didn't make it onto any of the previous releases so that may find its way onto the extras, just for completists - though including the heavily-edited version Jerry put together for Scotti Bros. would make a total of three (!) versions appearing now! Since the entire end title in the movie is the song "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", it makes sense to have it included as well, if we can. This brings in Scotti Brothers, who we originally shared a license with back when the movie was new in the late eighties. If everything works out, then including the entire Scotti Bros. release, which featured songs, a Giorgio Moroder piece and seven Goldsmith score cues will all help create a proper-length second CD. No separate trailer music was written for the third movie beyond cut-and-paste tracking from the previous movies. And we've done the Carolco logo already. In any case, the 2-CD idea gets everything Jerry recorded including the two extras, plus the Scotti Bros. release for those interested in a different approach to presenting the movie's music. That's where the discussions are at now.

Whatever we end up doing, the entire 77-minute score disc has already been licensed and has been completely re-edited and newly mastered, finally presenting the score in film chronology with several of the more-awkward (though fine for 1989 purposes) assemblies updated. And we'll have all-new packaging. This is the Rambo III that I want to look at and play. :D
--Doug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:14 am 

Thanks Doug. This does indeed look solid. Looking forward to it then.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:11 am 

IMPORTANT NOTE TO Doug

Please ALSO include the previous Intrada version of PREPATATIONS as well as the film version

in the film there is some ekstra percussion in the battle scene of the PREPARATION cue

It could be an overlay or some mix done by the crew late in the process

AND even if the carolo logo was already presented on RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II

please include it here at the start of the score

when you hear the piece you can hear it is a deviration from the Rambo 2 theme

and for me, it's like 20th Century fox fanfare before star wars main title

and a repeat of this already released short does not mind me because it kind of feels right with starting with carolco and then the NeXT track is Preparation

and please also re-create the trailer music with the cut and paste version :=)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 am 

Damn....Doug, please don't go into sales for bridges, for my sake, k?
Seriously, nice pitch, I'm probably in on this, since I've loved played your assembly of this for. ....25+ years now? Where's the time go...

-Sean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:44 pm 

Michal Turkowski wrote:
Personally i think that 1cd re-release of Rambo III will be enough.

In my opionion we dont need two cd release only for maybe two alternates...

Hi Michal. Though discussions remain underway, please keep in mind: We've kept the 1 CD version available for almost 30 years! I think people that only want a 1 CD version of this release have had plenty of time to get it that way. Just saying...
--Doug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:33 pm 

MarkMalm wrote:
IMPORTANT NOTE TO Doug

Please ALSO include the previous Intrada version of PREPATATIONS as well as the film version

in the film there is some ekstra percussion in the battle scene of the PREPARATION cue

It could be an overlay or some mix done by the crew late in the process

AND even if the carolo logo was already presented on RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II

please include it here at the start of the score

when you hear the piece you can hear it is a deviration from the Rambo 2 theme

and for me, it's like 20th Century fox fanfare before star wars main title

and a repeat of this already released short does not mind me because it kind of feels right with starting with carolco and then the NeXT track is Preparation

and please also re-create the trailer music with the cut and paste version :=)

You probably won't get everything you're hoping for. There is NO extra percussion in the stick fight sequence you refer to. During post production, the actual length of the piece was re-edited to fit the changing needs of the picture and we generally have no interest in re-creating stuff that was done editorially after changes are being made to the film. Those decisions have little to do with the composer or the scoring sessions. The complete unedited version as Jerry recorded it was available on our previous 1 CD version and will still be available on our new edition. On the Scotti Brothers album, Jerry cut the percussion part down considerably for musicality and timing purposes. If we have their program on a second disc, this specially-edited version will, of course, appear. And yet a third version may be included, which is just the complete percussion segment but now also including a tiny tympani "pre-roll" at the beginning that hasn't been heard before. Not sure why Jerry prepared this unique mix. Perhaps it was intended to help fill in a potential gap between the orchestral lead in and when the actual drumming began, depending on what the film editors did with the scene. But it was present on the multi-track mixes that Mike Ross-Trevor made in London way back when so it's fair game.

Considering Jerry wanted the cue to be shorter for listening purposes, he's probably rolling in his grave knowing it may appear thrice.

And, yes, the Carolco Logo appears - this time in the "Version 2" with the "whooshing" sound that ultimately became the version used in front of their films. The first version Jerry recorded has less electronics over the opening and appears on our Rambo 2 release. Rambo III (and First Blood) include the second version. :)
--Doug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 am 

While This percussion overlay was probbably created by the film Crew i Would not mind hearing the complete cue a 4th time with this overlay

Don't know if you have heard the piece in the film, but for me it kind of help me with the percussion that have always have Sounded Like it appeared a bit off beat

And if you have more room on the CD i would NOT mind hearing some cues as Their first take, sometimes the first take always Sound a bit different than their final take, and it would be a great feature two have some fauvorite cues in a different feel and sound

P.s. I also hope we get the Music AS recorded without crossfade effects

P.p.s what has happened to the first blood score since it's out of stock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:46 am 

And also it would be cool to hear preparation cue sans percussion part with synth and mandolin only :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:53 am 

The Scotti Bros. release was the first Goldsmith album I ever bought :oops: and since the cassette had to be junked I'll probably spring for this...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:44 pm 

Currently there are some discussions between the various parties involved (StudioCanal, Scotti Bros., Intrada) over specifics. We're sort of at the bottom of the totem pole so we're treading water while things get worked out. As soon as we can, we'll get this release out be it a 2-CD set with the song album included, a completely re-mastered one disc release of our score album or... well, something anyway. :lol:
--Doug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:39 pm 

Douglass Fake wrote:
Currently there are some discussions between the various parties involved (StudioCanal, Scotti Bros., Intrada) over specifics. We're sort of at the bottom of the totem pole so we're treading water while things get worked out. As soon as we can, we'll get this release out be it a 2-CD set with the song album included, a completely re-mastered one disc release of our score album or... well, something anyway. :lol:
--Doug

Thanks for the heads up, can't wait for it to complete my collection of Rambo's soundtrack!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:30 pm 

Douglass Fake wrote:

What's more, the complete percussion sequence in "Preparations" for Rambo's stick fight (called "The Joust" in Jerry's manuscripts) feels awfully long (though the film required the length) and in fact was edited down on the initial Scotti Bros. album precisely for that reason. While I would always keep the complete version on our CD, in an ideal world I'd also include the edited assembly that Jerry did for Scotti Bros. for a slightly more rewarding listening experience.
--Doug

Hey Doug.....
Honestly, that "stick fight" music is why I don't particularly care for this score! It's as you said... it "feels awfully long"... I know I shouldn't judge the entire score by this one piece, but I will pick this up once it comes out... and take a utility knife and cut that piece off the CD.......HUH?!