[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - RAMBO III

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: RAMBO III
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:08 pm 

I have a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket, and I remember that Intrada released an "updated" version of this, and I was THINKING that that version was released just a few years ago, but when I searched, the only one I can come up with dates back to 2005. That CAN'T be correct... can it?
Please someone provide some information! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: RAMBO III
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:26 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm 

Though I already love the sound improvement on the 2005 reissue, I would buy this again in an instant even for expanded detailed liner notes, much less any previously unreleased alternates or the like. If the first two Rambo scores can rate two disc sets, then the third (and longest) certainly does as well.

Yavar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:57 pm 

I'll be honest... Rambo III is one of only about three Goldsmith scores that I'm not crazy about (The other two I actually HATE! :shock: ), but I'm willing to give this one another chance! Thanks for the heads-up, Roger! I'll wait until the "face-lift"... just don't use too much (Pardon the pun!) "BOW-tox"! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:08 pm 

Terry, unless the other two scores you also dislike are also Rambo efforts, I can't fathom why you'd dislike III, outside of unfortunate performance issues (the Hungarian orchestra is no match for the National Philharmonic of II). It's the most epic/grand/sweeping/complex of the three scores, compositionally. Less actiony than the first two overall perhaps, but the action highlights are every bit as good and the development of the themes is just terrific. Incredible lengthy finale cue.

Yavar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:25 pm 

Hey Yavar!
Nope... the two scores that I "hate" are both from the 60s.... and that's all I'm sayiin'! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 pm 

The Flint scores? (I love the first but I'm not wild about a lot of the 2nd.) Sebastian?

I'm trying to think of what 60s efforts of his don't bear a lot of relation to what came after...

But I'm really optimistic that Rambo III will grow on you if you give it another chance. Maybe skip the early lengthy cue that's mostly repetitive percussion. I lose a little bit of patience with it unless I'm in a particular mood.

Yavar

Last edited by Yavar Moradi on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:13 am 

What is most enjoyable of the RAMBO Trilogy (Goldsmith scores) is that each film has its own individual thematic imprint. The scores does not flesh out from the original film with only sparing references to the First Blood 'Theme'. RAMBO FIRST. They stand apart. For me, FIRST BLOOD PART II is the finest of the lot. RAMBO III tends to be more epic in scope but is a 2nd favourite.

I hope the 'facelift' opportunity will also allow some alternates and unused cues to be showcased (if they are in abundance) I'd look forward to it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:28 pm 

I love all three Rambo scores. Although they share much of the same musical DNA they are all quite different. I have to say the third one gets a lot of play for me. It's simpler, more sweeping style really appeals to me and the occasional references to the earlier themes are fun when they appear.

More Rambo III would be surprising but welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:06 am 

I'm in the camp that goes bananas for the sweeping, more thematically-developed Rambo III score. "Questions" is an absolute treasure and the final, definitive statement of the First Blood theme that swells out of "I'll Stay" and segues into the end credit music is a powerful moment that's really tough to beat... as if Jerry was saying his own moving farewell to the trilogy. Which, upon reflection, I guess he was.

A heads up. The original recording sounded fine for what it was, coming from way back in 1988, but was a little on the harsh side. All previous releases were prepared from those elements. Our all-new presentation comes from the first generation multi-tracks mixed down from the Otari 32-track digital session masters by Mike Ross-Trevor and offers an ever-so-slightly warmer quality. There is also a shade more detail in these masters as well... though don't look for dramatic differences. Everything still originates with the Otari digital masters.

Though pretty insignificant in the bigger scheme of things, there was one previously unreleased cue on these elements called "Insane" that is very short and is scored for keyboards with sampled strings in a style similar to "Dust". It's very short and will matter only to those fanatics who want "every bloody note" as Jerry would say. Fanatics like myself. There was also an alternate of the gorgeous "Another Time" but the only difference appears to be a slightly altered timing of the last portion when the trumpet returns to play "The Homecoming" theme. Jerry slightly re-scored the shifting strings in this last section with a miniscule change in his tempo. The differences from the version used on previous albums is almost imperceptible. We'll include that familiar version of course. The necessity for the alternate is up for debate.

But, then again, for fanatics...

The conundrum is that our previous album ran 76:43, which means there is room to add "Insane", but not the alternate of "Another Time", if we're going to keep this as a single disc. What's more, the complete percussion sequence in "Preparations" for Rambo's stick fight (called "The Joust" in Jerry's manuscripts) feels awfully long (though the film required the length) and in fact was edited down on the initial Scotti Bros. album precisely for that reason. While I would always keep the complete version on our CD, in an ideal world I'd also include the edited assembly that Jerry did for Scotti Bros. for a slightly more rewarding listening experience.

It has taken us almost 30 years to finally gather up all three of these incredible scores under one roof. Whether these few additions warrant a 2-CD set that would double our manufacturing costs, and increase the retail price, is maybe a decision someone as fanatical about the Rambo trilogy music as I am shouldn't be allowed to make. :)

But, as Reverend Hale says in Hawaii in response to Jerusha's query about some problem or another: "I will sleep on the matter".
--Doug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 pm 

Doug, sorry to interrupt your 'sleep' on this matter but I'd say that a 2CD like the rest of the series would be appropriate and fitting. Its up to you to how to handle the sequencing on the 2 discs but give us 'fanatics' every bit of everything. To spice up you could add the Carolco Logo music to start the program. Also aren't there any trailer music cues specifically composed for the movie?

Look forward to 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:39 pm 

Doug, I'd never tell an artist how to paint but please keep the Rambo III key art you've got now on the new release - I love it! That moody photo of Stallone that was on the cover of the first cd issue might look good on the inside cover as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:51 am 

Personally i think that 1cd re-release of Rambo III will be enough.

In my opionion we dont need two cd release only for maybe two alternates.

But Rambo III needs also new booklet and cover in higher resolution than 2005 release :)

I will be happy if new Rambo III will include this short "Insane" track and "Another time" and "Preparations" included in good place regarding film narration.

I love Rambo III score - but for me this score dont have the same power like Rambo 1 or 2 because for Hungarian Orchestra.

I always have a problem with Hungarian performance - especially horns sounds sometimes much "weaker" than similiar parts in Rambo 1 or 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:58 pm 

If this happens on 2cds....any chance of including the Scoti Bros program, or the parts not represented by Intrada? I don't think I've even heard that one, I only know Intrada 's!

-Sean

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next