[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Redresses Pino Donaggio's DRESSED TO KILL

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Redresses Pino Donaggio's DRESSED TO KILL
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:29 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

DRESSED TO KILL
Composed by PINO DONAGGIO
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 360

Intrada's latest is also a first -- reissuing an album still in print. When first released three years ago, there was still room for improvement in the dynamics of the mastering and when it came time to repress this popular seller, Intrada decided to upgrade the master by returning to the source elements (along with some adjustments to the packaging and slight modifications to the track list) before replenishing inventory. Here it is, the re-dressed Dressed to Kill now with dramatically improved mastering.

From the original announcement:

While director Brian DePalma has worked with several different composers, it is Pino Donaggio to whom he has returned time and again since they first worked together on the director’s 1976 masterpiece Carrie. Donaggio’s romantic, melodic style is the perfect complement to De Palma’s tensely erotic visuals, which inspired the composer to write what is arguably his finest score for the 1980 thriller Dressed to Kill. Donaggio provided lush orchestrations featuring an impressive variety of memorable, fully developed melodies.

To bring this expanded edition of the score to CD, Intrada returned to the 2″ 24-track session masters and newly remixed everything, creating brand new two-track stereo mixes for this release. Almost every cue was present on these elements, stored in beautiful condition in the MGM vaults; only three cues (tracks 1, 2 & 24) needed to be mastered from the existing two-track stereo mixes made back in 1980. While not every cue was accounted for, this release features a bulk of the previously unreleased music.

In the film, Kate Miller (Angie Dickinson), a dissatisfied Long Island house wife, turns an afternoon museum visit into a richly satisfying sexual encounter with a complete stranger. Afterwards, she is brutally murdered in the elevator of her lover's appartment building. Liz Blake (Nancy Allen), a high-priced call girl, is the only witness and she teams with Kate’s grieving son Peter, a budding computer genius. Realizing that the killer is one of Dr. Elliott’s patients, the pair hatches a plot to track her down through the doctor’s records.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 360
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10542/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Redresses Pino Donaggio's DRESSED TO KILL
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:39 pm 

Ordered! I just got a copy ordered in June, however I love the Pino scores for the DePalma films he worked on. Dressed to Kill is a great score, also my Martin Logan electrostatic speakers love some great sounding audio.

For those who don't own it it is great to pair up with Blow Out. I used to own the old Prometheus CD and the Intrada is high quality.

Now if there was some way to persuade Intrada to re-release Body Double! :-) the resale price on the OOP disc is crazy!

Also thanks for keeping the iconic art for DtK :-)

And of course I love it that consideration was taken for a new pressing to improve upon it when possible this is a great idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:00 pm 

Ah,
Besides better sound some cues have been uncombinef from others.
Definitely on the to-get-again list, but first things first

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:56 pm 

:P Glad that this was re-released anew. I had missed out on the 2013 release and while it isn't out of print, I'm happy to finally acquire it in this remastered form.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:10 am 

Just curious for those that might have both versions if they noticed a difference? We did add more reverb so it wasn't nearly as dry, but retained the detailed playing. It takes the good points of both the Varese and our previous version, without it drowning in reverb like the Varese or dry as a desert from our previous release.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:30 pm 

Yes. As a long time fan of this score, owning every incarnation of it, THIS is the DtoK to play. I actually was happy with the initial expansion, until one day playing 'The nightmare ', that's when it clicked, something was amiss. The opening trombone punctuations just landed flat. That cue was the revelation to me. It is as Roger says, it's just right between dry & reverb city.
Frankly, I'm not a fan of rebuying things (who is??), but as important as this one is to me, I'm happy to say it's very much worth having the redress. You guys nailed it, and I liked Doug's note that speaks to the revision, as well as the recording method here (each cue done individually ).
So, thanks & good job then!
-Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:58 am 

I have both and prefer the new version. It managed to have a fuller sound but still keep the details that were absent from the original album (the murder scene is a great example of this).

I hope someday Raising Cain is released. There's some diferences to the film versions and the sound of the álbum is a bit muffled.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:52 pm 

YES! to Cain as well, what with the excellent new Blu Ray just released . Too bad a re-record will never happen, but I'll take a remaster someday. There are some really bad flubs in that score, and once heard, you can't unhear those. ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:46 pm 

I also love the new disc. I ordered it instantly when it went up for sale. I have both copies and I did try some sound comparisons on my Martin Logan ESL stereo speakers and I do prefer the new audio. I will still of course hold on to the original release just to have it.

I am hoping it has sold well, I think some will regret not purchasing it if it does go OOP.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]