[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces James Horner's THE ROCKETEER

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces James Horner's THE ROCKETEER
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:26 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:57 pm 

Maybe this was a request from James Horner to get a release on a more serious label. This was also the case for Mighty Joe Young, which was a Disney film with a Hollywood Records Soundtrack.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:39 pm 

Mine arrived in the mail today, thank you Intrada!

This release is stupendous and amazing, it sounds great and the music is incredible, Horner at the top of his game. The complete score is a great listen with no dull spots. [Personally, I don't listen to the pop songs, just the score].

Thanks again and keep the Horner / Disney releases coming! (I am hoping for Willow, Mighty Joe Young, and re-done/complete-this-time versions of Something Wicked, Natty Gann, and Honey I Shrunk The Kids)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:30 pm 

My previously purchased Horner/ Intrada releases:
SOMETHING WICKED....
....NATTY GANN
WOLFEN

my NEXT Horner /Intrada purchase:
APOLLO 13

sorry hamsters
;)
brm

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:34 am 

There's a strange glitch that happens on my CD during the track "Rendezvous at Observatory" on disc one around 4:13/4:14. Anyone else notice this problem or is it just my CD?

:?:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:33 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:24 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:38 am 

Question for you guys -- I've gotten a few questions about the sound difference between the complete program and the original CD program. What these guys are noticing is that the complete program is presented with the natural dynamic range of the original recording. The CD program is compressed, meaning the differential between the quietest parts and the loudest parts has been reduced. It provides a thicker sound, but is a bit of an artificial range. This compression seems to be the dominant choice for mastering these days, while Intrada has been religious about not tampering with the natural range. But...if the preference is for the sound of this compression, there's no reason we couldn't adopt that going forward. Just curious about your all feelings on this.

Ironically sound had to be compressed for LPs because the physical material of vinyl wouldn't allow for a wide dynamic range. It was one of the original selling points of the CD medium that you could have a full dynamic range without the need for compression. Kind of interesting that people seem to prefer the compressed sound! Or perhaps they just don't appreciate the natural acoustic. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:32 am 

I appreciate natural dynamic range when possible. I can't imagine why anyone would want their music brickwalled and LOUD constantly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:43 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 am 

I prefer the natural dynamic range as far as is practical.

It the score was recorded to sound like X, then it should sound as close to X as possible.

You guys do an amazing job, with sometimes difficult source material, and IMHO, this release of Rocketeer is definitive, and perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:03 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:32 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:34 am 

I suspect for some engineers and producers, compressing and brickwalling go somewhat hand in hand. After all, if you’ve reduced or removed the dynamic range, why not just bump the volume so that's not a problem either? :roll:

My personal opinion is that Intrada is already doing the right thing. Please don't change. You release albums from a variety of decades, and the older material (especially the wonderful sounding stereo material from the '60s we've gotten in recent years) deserves – after so long without an upgrade or any CD release at all – to be heard with their original dynamics intact. Some might even consider compression an unjustified alteration to the intentions of the original artists, which history indicates is never a popular choice in the long term. Likewise I suppose if '80s or '90s albums were originally compressed, the authentic thing to do is retain or recreate that. Is that what Intrada elected to do with The Rocketeer? (EDIT: I see it is.)

If you don't mind, I’m going to mention this on the FSM board to generate more discussion as not everyone there may see this. I'll put it in the Rocketeer thread.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:56 am 

I know, I'm over-simplifying it of course.

I trust you guys at Intrada to make the calls on this.

The sound Horner wanted on the CD was great, and I respect it for the original CD, but the way your presentation sounds for the complete score is awesome.

I also greatly enjoyed the dynamics of the Judge Dredd score presentation, even though the dynamics are very different from the OST.

In both cases, I have given/sold the OST CDs to good homes, keeping your releases as the definitive versions of the score for me.

I know the decisions made on how a given score should sound are taken on a case-by-case basis (Remix from Multitrack? Present original film mix? Change dynamics?), and all I can really say as a layman, is that Intrada's approach has been perfect for me.

Keeping the dynamics that are present on the recordings for me highlights the way the music was designed to work, and I don't regard a composer's choice for an album presentation for listening purposes to be necessarily reflective of how the music was designed to work in context of the movie, though maybe it is in many cases?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next