[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Georges Delerue's SOMETHING WICKED

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Georges Delerue's SOMETHING WICKED
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:00 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES
Composed and Conducted by GEORGES DELERUE
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 337

For Something Wicked This Way Comes, composer Georges Delerue was overtly excited by the opportunity to write one of his first large-scale, Hollywood fantasy scores for a huge orchestra -- a score that could handle Gothic and avant-garde elements along with his trademark lyricism. In the course of two weeks, he wrote over 50 minutes of music—brash, exotic and at times demented, but grounded by a sweet melody for childhood innocence. Director Jack Clayton was delighted: “It seems more than a miracle that you should have been able to compose such a magnificent score in so short a time,” he wrote in a letter to Delerue.

Delerue’s score deftly complements the suggestive shadows and quiet evil—as well as the sadness and sweetness of the father/son relationship at its heart. The film’s moralistic themes, mysterious carnival attractions and intimate humanity inspired him to fill his score with gut-rattling calliope material, Gallic lyricism, a sparkling music-box tune, a heightened funeral march, solemn drama and classic Hollywood suspense. By most accounts, however, Clayton’s understated, slightly claustrophobic film simply wasn’t scary, or big, or fantastical enough, resulting in the film's editing, special effects, and music given a serious overhaul. For Delerue, scoring the picture was quite a journey, one that ultimately led to the most disappointing moment in his career—the score went completely unused.

This presentation is sourced from the recently discovered complete 2˝ 24-track scoring session masters, stored in the Disney vaults -- unlabeled. This amazing find allowed Intrada to newly mixed into digital stereo, including every sequence Delerue wrote for the film. This included several cues recorded prior to major postproduction changes that were, themselves, dropped from the then-existing cut of the film.

Something Wicked is a nostalgia-soaked morality tale about regret, growing old, and unwise wishes suddenly granted. At the emotional core of the story is Mr. Halloway: too old to play sports with his young son and incapable of saving him from nearly drowning earlier in his life. His regrets, along with those of fellow his townspeople, draws the evil carnival owned by Mr. Dark, who is prepared to grant any and all wishes -- at a price. Halloway's son and best friend, with his own deep desire, uncover the evil of the carnival.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 337
Retail Price: $19.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9969/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Georges Delerue's SOMETHING WICKED
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:43 pm 

Stunning release. Picked it up at Creature Features.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:55 pm 
Great work! My Delerue collection now feels complete. One of the easiest buys, but I think Maleficio will pass on this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:59 pm 

Absolutely wonderful!!! The wait is over! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:10 pm 

The samples sound amazing. Can't wait to get it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:36 am 

Fantastic release and with this I've finally placed my first order direct with Intrada :)

Loved this score since hearing the 10min suite on the London Sessions and have been wanting a full release. The previous French release was nice but sounded bad and you could tell it came from poor sources.

Then when Horner's score was released and it was mentioned that Delerues score existed in the same wonderful quality it seemed that a proper release was finally possible. Now it's here and the samples sound amazing.

I usually shop elsewhere for the majority of my soundtrack releases due to their customs "friendly" shipping to the UK.
But they usually take a week to receive their stock so I thought I would try out Intrada directly for this release. Been meaning to for a while due to their loyalty programme.

Oh, and fabulous covers as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:44 am 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:24 am 

I actually picked up the CD on Saturday prior to the CD signing then.

I had real life preventing me from viewing the film Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:12 am 

Thanks anyway, OneBuckFilms.

Can any forum member who did attend that screening answer my questions above?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:11 pm 

I'm quoting from FSM member Tom Servo:

"they did screen some scenes from the early workprint version that included Delerue's score. I don't think it's legally possible to record and share this event, because technically that workprint shouldn't be viewed by the general public."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:27 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:28 pm 

Love the Artwork too! Score for score I can't imagine a better release year than 2015 but please keep up the amazing work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:22 am 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 am 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:52 pm 

That's a (dark) dream come true, as I was hoping so much for such a release.

Thank you so much, Doug & Roger for delivering this score in its best form ever -- and complete! :D :D :D

Ordered, few hours after your annoucement... I'll post again once I got it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next