[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Which one do you cherish the most?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Which one do you cherish the most?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:53 am 

So I'm on an obvious memory lane trip here. How could I not be over these next couple of weeks? We've made a lot of albums here. Hundreds of them.

Anyway, I'm curious. Assuming you have some Intrada releases, which one is your top favorite? Not two, not five or whatever. Just your one absolute top favorite. Any reason works. It's your favorite score, your first born arrived on the same day the album did, it's your mom's all-time favorite movie, the music was playing on your first date, whatever. It's just your favorite Intrada release. Period.

Yeah, they're all my babies yada yada yada. I can't really choose. But you can. So please let me know which one you cherish the most.

Thanks.
--Doug

Post subject: Re: Which one do you cherish the most?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:25 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Obviously, there are so many Intrada releases, so many of them cherished, that it is incredibly hard to pick just a single one.

I have so far narrowed it down to just three... they will battle it out... two... still fighting.... okay... last one standing at the moment... my favorite Intrada release (of this post):

Jerry Fielding: LAWMAN

Why?

LAWMAN was one of those scores I audio taped from the TV as a kid... certainly one of those film scores that got me into film music in the first place... I thought the music was absolutely fantastic... when I started my record collection, everywhere did I search for a vinyl album of the soundtrack... I couldn't find it (of course, it had never been released). Didn't have the Internet back then to provide that information though.

It was an early 1970s Western movie, not a "classic" one like maybe HIGH NOON or THE BIG COUNTRY, but more obscure, so in the 1990s, even when those special edition releases started, chances for this one still looked dim... and then it was released. Excellent.

Last edited by Nicolai P. Zwar on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:53 am 
Another Jerry Fielding pick at this moment, but I'll go with the 2008 release of The Killer Elite.

With seemingly infinite replay value this score evokes everything that I love about Fielding in a most expressive fashion, and it happens to flow perfectly on album in excellent audio quality.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 am 

Funny, three Fieldings in a row. For me it's The Mechanic.

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:13 am 

if i have to choose only one:

Night Crossing

one of my most loved cds and one of Jerrys best!
it was one of my first intrada cds and it get's better with every single re-release ;)

the music speaks for itself

Last edited by Andy on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:47 am 

Easy!

ALIEN by JERRY GOLDSMITH

Amazing score, amazing presentation, perfect liner notes. The model all releases should follow!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 am 

Have to almost totally agree with Jay as my 'go to', you guys NAILED that one, just perfect as it could be.

But I have to go with the one I would hug it out the most with you all over - Pino Donaggio's BODY DOUBLE.
It was my 'taped off the TV' favorite (there were more than I care to admit in that realm, most since replaced, thankfully). Such great scoring & visual, center stage for most of the film, at least the first half. As usual, you guys nailed this title, and I still pull it off the shelf and smile EVERY time I listen, in awe it actually exists.

"Security"
"Hello, this is Bellini's, can you come over, I think we have a problem"
Ha, no more!

-Sean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:44 am 

White Fang - Basil Poledouris / Hans Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:13 pm 

I really hate playing favorites. It'd be incredibly difficult to plahy a true top contender. Obvious Intrada has released a bunch of my so-called holy grails, and released fantastic comprehensive presentations of scores that I loved and didn't even really figure the need for expansion but welcomed...

So how to choose? Well if you consider perhaps all the factors one could based on my own musical tastes as well as general popularity, I supposed a singular answer could be found.

That answer? Back to the Future, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:47 pm 

BACK TO THE FUTURE of course. It was a long awaited graal for many of us, but especially for me. I was just expecting Intrada to make a gorgeous remaster of the complete film score, but instead you just doubled the album with the big surprise of the rejected Silvestri score. This was unexpected and made this album a unique experience (discovering for the first time some music made for my all-time favorite movie) and a very precious double disc in my collection.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm 

There are so many to choose from, but if I had to pick one it would be GLORY AND HONOR. I waited a long time to see this beautiful score released. Intrada has always had a special affinity for the works of Bruce Broughton, but this one , probably for legal reasons,eluded them for a long time. Finally the day came many years after its television presentation. For that one and many others I am truly grateful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:19 pm 

For partially selfish reasons, I have to say that the one I cherish the most is "Cross Creek." The selfish reason: I wrote the liner notes. The album came along at a time in my life when I had just graduated college, and was figuring out what I was doing with myself. Working on that album offered me an opportunity to talk to Ralph Ferraro, and really dig deep into one of Leonard's scores. I remember that Leonard died while the release was being finished, which gave the score an added layer of meaning and poignancy to me.

The not-so-selfish reason I cherish it: The music is gorgeous, it's an important score in Leonard's filmography, and the mere fact that Intrada was able to find the elements (courtesy of John Lasher) after such a long search for suitable tapes, was nothing less than a minor miracle. The lengths they'll go to in their detective work and preservation make so many of Intrada's releases (and releases by other labels, but I'll just focus on Intrada here) truly special, and quite magnificent. In spite of the fact that I listened to the score a number of times while working on the album, I still revisit the music quite frequently - there's so much lovely, lively material throughout.

Parenthetically, I'll say that my first Intrada album - Rosenman's "Lord of the Rings" - also holds a very special place in my heart, but I do think "Cross Creek" is really the one I cherish the most, even with so many tremendous releases that came afterward. Thanks Doug & Roger, for letting me be a small part of the work that you do.

Last edited by TheFamousEccles on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:02 pm 

I'd have to go with BACK TO THE FUTURE. It's still astonishing it ever came out, yet is more astonishing we went so long without it. It was absurd we had almost nothing for Part I while nearly all of Parts II and III were available. For decades. What a strange situation that was.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:50 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next