[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Poltergeist II: Complete & Remastered!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Poltergeist II: Complete & Remastered!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:31 am 

Post subject: Re: Poltergeist II: Complete & Remastered!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:50 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
I think it is wonderful that so many excellent film scores get re-released and do not remain OOP forever once they are gone. POLTERGEIST II is a very good score that deserves to remain available.

I do own the original LP of POLTERGEIST II as well as the expanded Varese edition, which I am very happy with, so I don't really think I will re-buy the score right now. I am not sure what Bruce Kimmel means by " mastered so hot as to defy credulity", I never had any particular issue with the mastering of POLTERGEIST II, but obviously, his sensibilities led him to approach the mastering from a different perspective. It would be interesting to hear the two in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:51 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:36 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:32 am 

In any case, I still have the original Intrada LP release, bought back in the day when it was released. :-)
It may have been my first Intrada release, I'm not sure. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:00 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:29 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 am 

If I remember correctly, and Doug would know better...I think Goldsmith was not in favor of using the chorus. Really not in favor...which is one of the reasons he did not include any of it on the original album. And I think Botnick added the telephone ringing when they made the album...I think it was his idea, not Goldsmith's. But then you get used to it and it sounds weird without it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:04 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 pm 

So Roger, if we want the best edition possible, it was Intrada's expanded one. Digital sound without the "hot mastering" you're talking about... ^^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:39 pm 

One big thing to keep in mind, and this we know from being the original label to finance the project back in 1986. The three-channel mixes for Poltergeist II were NOT designed for true stereo listening but made for the Dolby four-channel film prints. On this title, the center channel was mixed specifically with balancing underneath dialog. As such, instruments were positioned in that region separately from where they were in the proper stereo listening mixes. Re-mastering these mixes can address lots of audio issues for today's marketplace BUT can not alter the intentions of them being made to accommodate dialog in Dolby presentations. We already went through all of this with both Goldsmith and Bruce Botnick when we made the original album, one of the first digital soundtracks to hit the then-new CD marketplace, and again when we put together our first expanded release. Goldsmith specifically stated the mixes for the film presentations altered the violas, woodwinds, percussion and some of the electronics considerably and said they were not designed for listening apart from the dialog because they would phase improperly.

While there is warmth to the analog three-channel elements, the instrumental positioning is out of kilter with the actual two-track digital mixes Botnick created. Both he and Goldsmith preferred the digital two-track sources (Sony PCM format) because they reflected what the orchestra spread was intended to be. Though it was then state-of-the-art, the Poltergeist II recording has never been my favorite in terms of audio, and hot and brittle is a good way to describe the digital sources. However, the correct stereo imaging and spread of the true stereo mixes is certainly an important consideration and trumps warmth for me.

If the 1/2" three-channel tapes were all that survived, using them would be a necessity. But the true stereo PCM masters do exist. When we decided to delete the release, we sent the masters to Varese so they could do their own version.

I'll look forward to this upcoming new version and probably enjoy it just fine. Bruce Kimmel can work wonders with the audio on his albums. But that said, my personal preference will still be the true stereo mixes Goldsmith and Botnick created.
--Doug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:52 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:27 pm 

Intrada's expanded CD can still be found on the secondary market though. I think I'll stand with Doug with the digital master since it's the true stereo mix. Why not using the analog sources to create a 3.0 Blu-Ray Pure Audio Disc ? Just my 2 cents... ^^

By the way, this is one of my favorite Goldsmith's score (crazier - on the electronic side - than the first episode) and I'm happy people will be able to discover it once more with this new CD !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:44 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next