Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 pm 

Time to update those holy grails, since Fire & Ice has just been released !

1) Ghostbusters II (Randy Edelman)
2) American Anthem (Alan Silvestri)
3) Mission Impossible (rejected) (Alan Silvestri)
4) The Rare Breed (John Williams)
5) Ewok Adventures (Peter Bernstein)

Disney holy grails
1) Lilo & Stitch (Alan Silvestri)
2) The Sword in the Stone (George Bruns)
3) Robin Hood (George Bruns)
4) Ducktales (David Newman)
5) Lilo & Stitch 2 (Joel McNeely)

Post subject: Re: The Holy Grails
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:46 am 

It's fun going through these old lists & seeing the amount of titles that have since been released, we soundtrack fans have done very well!

I had four albums from UMG on my list, & The Deep has been released, & the "Flint" albums are a'coming (they'd better be, or it's a stiff letter to The Times!), so here's five that would get me cheering, starting with one from the original list:

The three, Rozsa Conducts Rozsa albums
The Great Race - Mancini - complete original score
Dracula - Williams - complete original score
23 Paces To Baker Street - Harline
Ulzana's Raid - Frank DeVole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:21 am 

At this point, since my previously mentioned titles are extremely unlikely due to the most complex of legal issues and missing elements long looked for, my biggest not-so-unrealistic wishes are for the following:

Airport series - Newman, Cacavas & Schifrin
MacKenna's Gold - Quincy Jones
The Six Million Dollar Man series - Oliver Nelson, et al.
Orca - Ennio Morricone
Police Academy - Robert Folk

With news that Police Academy will apparently soon be released, Corvette Summer by Craig Safan will replace it in the list once it becomes available.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
At this point, since my previously mentioned titles are extremely unlikely due to the most complex of legal issues and missing elements long looked for, my biggest not-so-unrealistic wishes are for the following:

Airport series - Newman, Cacavas & Schifrin
MacKenna's Gold - Quincy Jones
The Six Million Dollar Man series - Oliver Nelson, et al.
Orca - Ennio Morricone
Police Academy - Robert Folk

With news that Police Academy will apparently soon be released, Corvette Summer by Craig Safan will replace it in the list once it becomes available.

ORCA had a decent CD release some time ago and it was as complete as I was able to judge, although the end titles lacked the female vocal that you hear in the film.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:29 pm 

crwdfwtx wrote:
ORCA had a decent CD release some time ago and it was as complete as I was able to judge, although the end titles lacked the female vocal that you hear in the film.

That Legend CD, which I had, is not decent in my opinion. Some of the discordant suspense cues sound fine, as their nature can mask some flaws. But, other tracks are clearly distorted and have the sound of a vinyl rip. This score is deserving of a transfer from original elements.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
crwdfwtx wrote:

That Legend CD, which I had, is not decent in my opinion. Some of the discordant suspense cues sound fine, as their nature can mask some flaws. But, other tracks are clearly distorted and have the sound of a vinyl rip. This score is deserving of a transfer from original elements.

Fair enough. I guess I assumed the crummy sound was inherent in the source. Either way, this actually was a grail for me at the time, and I was glad to have it available at all (minus the vocals, which I actually loved for their cheesy 70s flavor).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 pm 

crwdfwtx wrote:
Fair enough. I guess I assumed the crummy sound was inherent in the source. Either way, this actually was a grail for me at the time, and I was glad to have it available at all (minus the vocals, which I actually loved for their cheesy 70s flavor).

I understand where you're coming from. While a lot of people most want expansions of scores that are already almost complete and sound great, I almost always prefer premiere releases as my most wanted titles. Orca is an exception due to significant issues with overall presentation of the current album. Those early Legend CDs often leave a lot to be desired, but they were of course from a different time when access to the original master tapes of older scores was usually unfeasible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:24 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
crwdfwtx wrote:

I understand where you're coming from. While a lot of people most want expansions of scores that are already almost complete and sound great, I almost always prefer premiere releases as my most wanted titles. Orca is an exception due to significant issues with overall presentation of the current album. Those early Legend CDs often leave a lot to be desired, but they were of course from a different time when access to the original master tapes of older scores was usually unfeasible.

Yeah one of my few remaining grails is THE SWARM, which has been released on CD before but has pretty rotten sound, and lacks Jerry's great LP presentation. Aother from the same era is DRACULA, for both of the same reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:26 pm 

Jaws (John Williams) - two-disc film score/album soundtrack
Jaws 2 (John Williams) - straight reissue or expansion
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Alan Silvestri) - C&C with the three cartoon scores
Back to the Future II (Alan Silvestri) - C&C
Back to the Future III (Alan Silvestri) - C&C

Oh, and hi Intrada forum. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 am 

Traveling Matt wrote:
Jaws (John Williams) - *two-disc film score/album soundtrack Jaws 2 (John Williams) - straight reissue or expansion
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Alan Silvestri) - C&C with the three cartoon scores
Back to the Future II (Alan Silvestri) - C&C
Back to the Future III (Alan Silvestri) - C&C

Oh, and hi Intrada forum. :mrgreen:

Yep scratch off Fire and Ice off my list too. :D

*The Hunt for Red October (I'm hoping for the same format too along w/alternate, unused tracks)
Les Misérables - Poledouris
Willow

Hmmm can't think of any other scores on my top want list aside from the Varese sdtks. I must be getting old..... :lol:

Wishlist: Starship Troopers, Robocop 3, Under Siege 2, Predator 2, Wing Commander, Willow, Dark City.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 am 

lotusgirl73 wrote:
Apologies if this has been mentioned before (I am new to this board), but I was just mentioning to a friend that I'd love to see a *complete* Excalibur released. That is one of my favourite scores by T. Jones. Such a beloved and worthy score that demands a proper release, at least in my opinion. Perhaps some day...

Seconded. Some of my favorite original score by Jones from the film has yet to make it onto disc. In fact, I'd welcome just about any of Trevor Jones's music still unreleased, if not quite refer to them as grails. A wonderful composer who deserves more love than he often gets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:08 am 

crwdfwtx wrote:
lotusgirl73 wrote:
Apologies if this has been mentioned before (I am new to this board), but I was just mentioning to a friend that I'd love to see a *complete* Excalibur released. That is one of my favourite scores by T. Jones. Such a beloved and worthy score that demands a proper release, at least in my opinion. Perhaps some day...

Seconded. Some of my favorite original score by Jones from the film has yet to make it onto disc. In fact, I'd welcome just about any of Trevor Jones's music still unreleased, if not quite refer to them as grails. A wonderful composer who deserves more love than he often gets.

A few of us have been trying to show Trevor the love, but he hasn't been particularly interested in it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 am 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
crwdfwtx wrote:
lotusgirl73 wrote:

A few of us have been trying to show Trevor the love, but he hasn't been particularly interested in it.

From my 2010 interview with MV Gerhard:

"Did you fail to produce some projects?
The three biggest failures have to be Bubba Ho-Tep, The Hurt Locker and Excalibur. (...) And, as for Excalibur, well, we were all set to go, and had the legal right to do so, but Trevor Jones didn’t want another label to release it, as again, he supposedly wanted it out on his own label, though it has yet to be produced and released."

Source: http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/2010/03/interview-mv-gerhard-at-the-heart-of-la-la-land-vo/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 pm 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
crwdfwtx wrote:
lotusgirl73 wrote:

Gulp so I guess an expanded and/or complete Dark City might not be possible?

:cry:

Wishlist: Starship Troopers, Robocop 3, Under Siege 2, Predator 2, Wing Commander, Willow, Dark City.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am 

True Romance and Scarface and Terminator 2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next