[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - How many Goldsmiths are there left?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many Goldsmiths are there left?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:38 am 

I am completely on board for PETER PROUD. It's one of his most unknown scores, and I too have heard it get flack for being electronic in some areas, but it really isn't. It's actually a very complex score, and I think John Stephen Walsh summed it up absolutely perfect. The film is a supernatural tragedy, and the score reflects that sense of sadness, with moments of eerie and creepy vibes. I love the cue when Peter Proud is dreaming by the pool, and Marcia (Margot Kidder!) hears it. There are moments of a downfall instrument that would later appear in Poltergeist!!!

Other cues I love are when Sarrazin and Jennifer O'Neill make love. That cue is Goldsmith delicioso!

And the scene when Margot Kidder "remembers" about herself and the late Jeff Curtis... .. .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 pm 

I've got some new guesses in light of the following information from Bruce Kimmel (Kritzerland) over at the FSM board:
"Here's the thing: By the time I inquired about the Goldsmith box everything of note had already been spoken for - one must be QUICK and I was not QUICK. So nothing from us from the box. "
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts ... &archive=0

I had been thinking his upcoming Goldsmith release might be something expanded/remastered from the Varese Goldsmith at Fox box. However, since he wasn't quick enough, that implies that either LLL or Intrada spoke up for the material first (outside chance of another label like Quartet or Varese themselves, I guess)

My money is on Intrada being the main label to license the remaining otherwise unreleased Fox box stuff, because their upcoming Goldsmiths are paired, meaning they are shorter scores. Here is my breakdown of the Fox box material from the FSM Kritzerland Goldsmith thread:

"If there's no additional music at all (or at least very little) to be found for any of the otherwise unreleased Goldsmith scores in the Fox Box, I think they'd actually even fit on two discs at this point, if we leave out Damnation Alley, which is still waiting on the synth tracks to be discovered (or re-recorded by some enterprising label):

Disc 4:
The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint (released by Varese later on their Agony and the Ecstasy DE)
Shock Treatment (20 minutes)
Fate Is the Hunter (7 minutes)
Von Ryan's Express (21 minutes)

Disc 5:
S*P*Y*S (19 minutes)
The Chairman (13.5 minutes in mono, but only 51 seconds of unique material not on the stereo LP album re-released afterwards by Prometheus)
The Detective (18 minutes)
Alien (later released complete/definitive by Intrada as an unlimited MAF)

Disc 6:
Damnation Alley (19 minutes, but as noted waiting on synth parts for any re-release I would think)
Anna and the King (at only 16.5 minutes for multiple episodes, I wonder if there's any unreleased Goldsmith music written for this series, but let's assume there isn't for the moment)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (14.5 minutes -- the complete score?)
The Vanishing (later released complete/definitive by Varese in their Club series)

So let's add up omitting Artist, The Chairman, Alien, Damnation Alley, and The Vanishing:
20 + 7 + 21 + 19 + 18 + 16.5 + 14.5 = 116 minutes. Add on the 19 "salvageable sans synths" minutes of Damnation Alley and you've still got a group that would fit easily on two discs in various configurations. I hope Kritzerland (or Intrada) puts some or all of it out."

Roger has said there will be two scores per disc so they probably won't be packed to the gills. These are in my opinion the two most likely pairings:

The "Sinatra scores": Von Ryan's Express and The Detective just make sense to pair together, and apparently both are missing a few cues which hopefully have been found in the interim allowing both to be released complete by Intrada.

The "sensitive TV scores": Anna and the King (a series for which Goldsmith composed three episodes) and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (a TV movie). If there was no more material to add (unlikely since Varese's notes say that two cues each were picked to "represent" each of the two scores Goldsmith wrote besides the pilot) the total time of the disc would be only 31 minutes, sort of a minimum length for a release (though in some cases like City of Fear Intrada will put out a shorter disc). I'm hoping more material is out there than can be added to hopefully get us a complete release of both projects.

I also think there is a chance that we may get S*P*Y*S with both the Goldsmith and John Scott scores, because Roger's wording said that the five Goldsmith scores were paired, which would imply that one of them would have to be paired with a non-Goldsmith score. I think this may be the first time that a Goldsmith score and another composer's score for the same film are put together on one release (ie. 2 Days in the Valley and Gladiator were recently released with just the rejected Goldsmith scores, and I worry if The River Wild comes out it will omit the rejected Maurice Jarre score...)

I do think in the case of S*P*Y*S there may be a feeling that Goldsmith's score won't have as much appeal on its own (especially if not much more than the 19 minutes in the box survive) so getting it with the Scott score is more likely.

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 am 

Well, it turns out I was right about Intrada releasing Fox Box material; I was merely wrong about which titles they'd focus on first! I'm very glad to discover so much more material was able to be salvaged (and much in stereo, no less) from both Shock Treatment and Fate Is the Hunter! I wonder how much longer it will be to make the Box fully obsolete...

Anyway, I don't think we'll be getting more than one more expanded/remastered Fox Box score in the very near future from Intrada, unless Roger misspoke when he said "some revisits, some premieres" -- since each are plural that means that we should have at least two premieres coming up soon, and since three titles are left only one can be another revisit like Fate Is the Hunter or Shock Treatment (I'm assuming those don't count as "premieres" because they are in stereo now or complete).

One possibility I see is a pairing of S*P*Y*S (from the box) with the previously-unreleased Fox comedy score, Take Her, She's Mine. In the notes to the Fox Box, Varese said they couldn't find any salvageable masters for this title, but as the situation has changed so much for Shock Treatment and Fate Is the Hunter, perhaps tapes for this are now salvageable. Of course this pairing would almost certainly preclude John Scott's S*P*Y*S score from being released, which would be unfortunate...

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 am 

Excited that tonight there will be at least one (and probably more than one) fewer Goldsmith score waiting for a definitive release...

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:07 am 

Updated to mark 'Masada' as 'Out of print' :( and 'Seven Days in May' as 'Available' :D

Keep 'em coming!

C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:49 pm 

If you wanted to you could include this link in the main post's spreadsheet to note that Star Trek First Contact is AVAILABLE here at Intrada:

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7565/.f

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm 

So, here we are, April 10, 2013, and we know that The Salamander was recently released (as a re-recording from Tadow). It looks like the Flint scores are next from Intrada (hopefully).

After that, what could we have? Sebastian? Peter Proud or Adrian Messenger as potential re-recordings?

The future is filled with possiblities!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:11 pm 

Well, it looks like we'll probably be having to wait until the end of the year for Star Trek: Insurrection from GNP. We'll be getting (probably) a Goldsmith two-fer is less than a week from Intrada, but I don't think it'll be the Flint scores, because Roger said "some revisits, some premieres" and we've only had one premiere so far (Seven Days in May). The Flint scores probably wouldn't qualify, unless Roger is counting CD premieres and the LP re-recordings haven't made it to CD before. I'm thinking there's an outside chance of tapes being discovered for Take Her, She's Mine and it getting paired with another Fox score...we also already know Bruce K. of Kritzerland has Breakheart Pass coming up soon (with some more material than the LLL somehow) and another Goldsmith a bit further in the future.

Then in this very thread Roger has also said there are more Goldsmith scores coming a little later, plus MV on the FSM board has said LLL has others in their pipeline as well...so possibilities indeed!

Yavar

P.S. I'm hoping the next Tadlow re-recording is either a complete version of QB VII or a twofer of Goldsmith's first and third scores, both westerns, both totally unreleased (probably because tapes don't survive?): Black Patch and Face of a Fugitive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 am 

Oh well, I've been waiting for a CD of those elusive Flint LP's since CD's arrived, as long as I know they're a'coming I can wait a while longer. I do wonder what's happening (if anything) about Sebastian?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm 

I am sure glad I bought the Fox box.
I could never afford (nor would I want to own)all the complete scores that have since been released on their own.
I bought ALIEN & PATTON but for scores like THE EDGE et al. , the highlights are satisfactory
bruce

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:36 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:38 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 pm 

Thanks Roger; I won't wait then.

Yavar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next