[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - How's this for a find?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How's this for a find?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:16 am 
Cocoon for $2 is indeed a great find. A captivating score from an exceptional period in Horner's output. Although, I almost vomit every time I think about that Michael Sembello song put in the middle of the album.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 pm 

The Black Hole ($7)...

Yes, the one released by Intrada & Disney...just last year!

I'm sure most of us already think like this, but please enlighten me, if my logic is not straight:

I found it in a local music, movies, games, and books store. What I don't get is how and/or why did this happen? I've already bought a number of CDs from this store (there are 3 locations where I live)...some of them were limited editions...and for $2! I know the store didn't do their research, but why not the individual who sold it to them? If that original owner of the lim. ed. CD received it as a gift, and just doesn't want it, then I guess I can understand selling it. However, those who buy these types of CDs, know or should know some things about them:

1) They are limited editions, which indicates collector's items.
2) They cost usually $20 and up, which means selling it to a store will be a smaller return.
3) Once they are out of print (excluding The Black Hole and others), the price usually is quite higher on the aftermarket.

Why would someone pay $20 or more for a CD like this, just to get a smaller return? Better yet, why buy a CD like this, instead of just researching it to download the music (bypassing the purchase)? Anyway, I digress. Since I'm not really complaining, just a little confused, any discussion is welcome, of course, just for the fun of it. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:33 am 

Could have been an unwanted Christmas gift. Maybe some girl bought it for her boyfriend in happier times and the relationship went to hell in a handbag and the guy wants nothing around that reminds him of her.

Maybe someone sold a stack of CDs to the place and went for the total trade value because he (assuming a male sold the CD) was obsessed with acquiring something else he could otherwise not afford. Maybe someone stole the CD from a "friend" and sold it behind his or her back. Maybe the seller was just plain nuts.

Overheard someone at a junkstore where I sometimes shop say that Barbara Walters (aka Barbara WaWa) donates items to the place. Maybe some down and out shopping bag lady is roaming the streets of Venice, California wearing a pair of Barbara Walters discarded bloomers.

Years ago I answered an ad in a newspaper, someone offering vinyl soundtracks for sale at $5.00 each, It was a woman and she was acting sort of strange. Found a number of nice, choice recordings and paid $100.00 for them all. She mentioned something about her boyfriend. I've wondered a few times if perhaps those LPs belonged to him and she was dong something really mean and spiteful behind the poor guys back. Whatever the case may be, that world premier pressing of In Like Flint is mine and if anybody ever tries to claim it we're going to have a SWAT situation on our hands. :lol:

Many of my recordings have an individual story behind them. A memory from the past, where I was at the time, what my life was about, who I bought it off of. I still think about the idiot in Columbus, Ohio with a basement packed full of 16mm films and LPs. He was an ex-drive-in theatre projectionist missing half of one index finger. It was sliced off by a fast rewinding 35mm reel of film. I asked him what film he was projecting when it happened, he said, "To Hell And Back" starring Audie Murphy. Some other projectionist in another state five years later probably wondered how the hell the third reel of "To Hell And Back" got splattered with blood.

I'm still wondering how the FYC CD of Michael Giacchino's UP ended up at a Goodwill store in some jerkball town in Ohio.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:48 pm 

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 am 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:41 am 

Among some stuff I've purchased recently I'm most enthuthiastic about this LP...

A self produced one sided LP manufactured in 1962 by International Sound Inc. for client Douglas Lackey. Apparently the recording was given to friends as a Christmas gift and may very well be one of a kind. I can't see any more than ten or so having been pressed. The cover is an actual cue sheet from an industrial film he scored in 1962 folded over a plain white jacket. The back jacket has hand written titles by the composer and an inscription to the folks who recieved the recording as a gift.

Douglas Lackey, a prolific composer of many industrial, documentary and B movies and music editor on hundreds of well known films. This recording offers examples of some very obscure scoring from some very obscure films. I'm proud to have unearthed this piece of audio treasure.

His IMDB credits...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0480116/

My submission to SoundtrackCollector.com. Ton worked wonders on my less than perfect cover scan...

http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/96 ... ure+Scores

Front Cover

Back Cover

Music Side

Blank Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 pm 

Well I've found a number of obscure recordings since last posting on this thread, I've more or less lost track. the most recent being this promotional LP, probably the late 50's (no release date on jacket or label). The music is composed by Ray Heindorf and is from a pair of television documentaries. I've never heard of this recording in all my years of poking through vinyl, I'm assuming it's extremely rare as there's no info online other than my own submission to Discogs. The LP is in pristine condition and looks unplayed...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:25 am 

I had a little money, so I bought a CD-R promo. Turned out to be a real copy, not a copy of a copy.

It's an old CD-R back when CD-R's were still fairly new on the market, of music by the late Ralph Kessler. Kessler did very little scoring in film/TV, and the majority of his stuff was ghostwriting (some of the ghosting is on the CD-R), and TV commercials.

It's turned a little yellow on the top side from age, but plays fine.

The inner front paper is signed by Kessler, with a transcription to the person (my guess was correct, I looked it up and the person it's signed to, is indeed a sessions player).

28 tracks from TV commercials spanning, to my ear, the 1970's and 1980's, cinluding Yuban, PanAm, Gilette, Texaco, and Hasbro. Some of them are cheesy songs. Cheesey song about PanAm, a cheesey song about Kool Aid. But some excellent 1970's scoring, if you're into that sort of thing.

Them tracks 29 to 35 are film & TV:
29. Barnaby Jones
30. Flamingo Road (two cues) (ghost writing)
31 Unspecified Hanna Barbera cartoon music.
32. Police Story (ghost writing)
33. Police Story (ghost writing)
34. Tales of the Unexpected (not sure if it's ghost writing)
35. Tiny Toons

Then the last section is titled Program Music, which includes:

36. The Journey of Odysseus
37. OPUS for TPT & WW Quintet
38. El Alfrarero
39. Impressions

Sadly yhe program music wasn't enjoyable. And his music for Odysseus is sounds nothing like music you might expect for such.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 am 

I did found this. One of the cues was used in the Adventures of Superman TV series.

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:44 pm 

Ullee's Gold (Charles Engstrom). Ryco disc of the score from the film starring Peter Fonda.

Last Tango In Paris (Gato Barbieri) Ryco disc of the LP presentation plus re-recorded cues by Gato. LP long a favorite. Varese Sarabande disc a favorite. So now I have the Ryko which was released the same year as the Varese disc with identical content, similar artwork as the United Artist LP while the Varese Sarabande disc has artwork similar to the Italian LP.

King Rat (John Barry) And to think I requested this as an Intrada project unaware a CD of the Mainsteam LP content was available and no one here said a word. Hey, thanks a whole hell of a lot, guys! :lol:

Anyway, I found these three recordings at a junkstore while treasure hunting, paid $1.00 each.

Sekal Has To Die (Michel Lorenc) Composer promo of the score. Dark, haunting. Insert autographed by one of the actors in the film. $2.00

Bought a few LPs, Walt Disney's Tru-Life Adventures composed by Paul Smith. A French EP of Billy Wilder's The Front Page composed by Billy May and another EP, Zware Jongens (Toots Thielemans). The Billy May was 33 cents! :shock:

Last edited by WorkingWithKnives on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 am 

The Outfit (Fielding)

Junior Bonner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:04 pm 

The two hardest to find titles I own are Conti's NAPOLEON and BLOOD IN BLOOD OUT, the unreleased Varese album.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 am 

Another rare CD I did found.
The Sonic Images Records pressing of Ron Jones' "Starfleet Academy". The CD was cancelled after amazon.com shipped the first few orders.

The Outfit (Fielding)

Junior Bonner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 am 

Onlt thing rare about it now ar ethe cues on it composed by Brian Luzietti. But it appears there were TWO versions. I got one and it has 22 tracks. Yours might be minus Luzietti's cues. Looks like they revised it.

Jones' cues are on the FSM TNG box.

THE PRISONER

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next