[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - LLL announces Expanded HOOK

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: LLL announces Expanded HOOK
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm 

Long rumored, LLL announced the following via Facebook today:

Have to fly. Have to fight. Have to crow. Have to get it to the printers. . . then have to get it to the manufacturer. Hook is back! ;)

Orders will begin March 27, 2012 at 1 pm pst
Retail Price: $29.98

More information to follow in the coming weeks

For this price it will probably be a 2 disc set. With the very nice Drew Struzan Artwork.

I will be there for sure. Will you?

Phil

Holy Grails: PSYIII/ESC TO ATHENA/M'RAKER/WILD GEESE II/NIGHTGEN

Last edited by GloryConan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: LLLs announces Expanded HOOK
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:34 pm 
I've never been too crazy about this score compared to other Williams epics.

I won't be there, but I'll surely be around for many other La-La Land releases.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:40 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:46 pm 

Post subject: Re: LLL announces Expanded HOOK
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm 

Just curious, if anybody is a Facebook member, if you can pose the question:

Is this the "OMFG!" score that they found a recording of, as per the FSM thread, that they didn't know existed?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm 

I'll definitely be there on the day this becomes available to order.

Agreed 100%with the above comment on "Remembering Childhood"..the soundtrack would be worth a purchase for that track alone.

Appreciate all the efforts it appears MV put into this. I'll probably be buying two copies as an added thank you.

Last edited by JohnnyUtah on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:46 pm 

Surely a triumph, a great score - a looooong score - has to be 3 discs, the score almost
fills two on it's own, and the alternates more than another half - AND there may be the
album too, we'll see.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:53 pm 

Roger has hit the nail on the head here. It's an amazing moment for John Williams - one filled with a sound of complete, magical bliss. He really shines here. I cannot get this soon enough. I would love to know some of the back-breaking hurdles MV faced for this - was Williams against the album, etc?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 pm 

Hook is just my most requested score in need of an expansion EVER, and one of my favorite score EVER. I'm thrilled Lalaland managed to make it happen for real. I must be in a dream.
This is the most thematic, melodic effort of John Williams in his entire career. Hook is grand, Hook is beautiful, Hook is playful, Hook is moving, Hook is poetic, Hook is swashbuckling, Hook is soaring... Hook is everything you can think of. If someone should ask me one day what's film music, I would play him Hook. It's everything film music should and can be !

This will be an awfully big album !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:56 pm 

For me, HOOK is absolutely John Williams' masterpiece of the '90's. On some days, I think it's the last real masterpiece he ever wrote. I still just love it, from beginning to end (with the regrettable exception of "When You're Alone"). The movie was such a let-down that it took a while for this score to really take hold, but once it did, it became one of my absolutely favorites by JW's or anyone else. I hear Prokofiev all over the place, especially in the music for Hook and Smee, and that's a good thing, of course. Roger was so right to single out "Remembering Childhood" as a high point. It's an eleven-minute microcosm of everything the man knew how to do peerlessly. I LOVE "Hook-Napped" and "Farewell "Neverland" and everything in between.

The performance and the recording are incomparable. The "Prologue" (which I think was actually the trailer music that JW wrote specially, since it's not used in the film) is a real powerhouse, and I always use it to test a new stereo system for dynamic range and depth. I read a review by Royal Brown in "Fanfare," back when he wrote the world's awesomest music column, and he made a point of discussing how Williams had really arrived at a kind of technical peak, in terms of his orchestration, conducting and production (though I personally couldn't say how much JW had to do with actually producing the record). It was a great review, and I ran back and listened to HOOK with new ears. I've never looked back.

What a thrill to have this jewel in the crown, complete and shiny and new! LLL does it once again...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:16 am 

Actually, Remembering Childhood is even longer than 11 minutes in the picture. I can't wait to hear the full cue !
Ultimate War is also much much longer (until Hook's fall inside the crocodile) in the picture and certainly the most rousing moment of John Williams' entire career.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:23 pm 

I still have the original soundtrack release of HOOK and when I bought it - before the film opened - I listened to it constantly and I loved it. Again a masterpiece from JW. I was looking forward to this film so much. What a director, what a cast, what a composer, Dean Cundey shot it, everything seemd perfect. Boy, was I wrong.....

After I saw the film, I was very disappointed. I went again. Maybe I was to excited and my hopes were stacked to high. But that din't help. It got worse ;-) What a disappointment it was to me. Totally over-produced, as was 1941. I hated it. After watching it again a few years later, I still had the same feeling and it didn't change to this day. I will probably never watch it again (I can still somehow watch 1941 though).

I layed the Score to rest and I haven't listened to it for almost 20 years. Until today. After reading all the comments here.

Yes, the score delivers, still. It even got better. Thank god, my memories of the film have become foggy and I simply do not care about the film. I can now truly enjoy this brilliant score again.

Had I to pick one track, it would be "You Are The Pan". Pure magic!

I will definitely hit the buttons within the first minutes...sorry, seconds!, the LLL release is ready to order.

Phil

Holy Grails: PSYIII/ESC TO ATHENA/M'RAKER/WILD GEESE II/NIGHTGEN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 am 

WOW!!!

It's actualy here & the sound samples are amazing.
Overseen by Mr Williams & Mr Spielberg, what's not to like about this release.
They really have sprinkled this with pixie dust, truly magical

2012 is becoming a fantastic year.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next