Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces James Horner's WOLFEN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 pm 

I noticed in the product page that James Horner supervised this project. If it is not mentioned in the liner notes, is it possible for anyone at Intrada to disclose to us here exactly how Horner was involved with the production of this CD? This for some reason has me interested.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 am 

At last !

I was introduced to WOLFEN's score at the begining of the 90's. I was striken by the incredible impact of the music on me. A really haunting score. Chilling but beautiful music.

Thank you Intrada, thank you Mr Horner, thank you WB. !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
I noticed in the product page that James Horner supervised this project. If it is not mentioned in the liner notes, is it possible for anyone at Intrada to disclose to us here exactly how Horner was involved with the production of this CD? This for some reason has me interested.

Especially considering that some time ago, someone asked him about the release of this score and he said it wasn't possible but didn't elaborate on the reason why.

Also interesting is that as far as we know (and feel free to correct me), Horner has been involved with all of the Intrada releases of his music personally, but has not been involved with any of the FSM releases, though for some....other...reasons that may be understandable.

Not sure if Horner was personally involved with Jade or Commando with La-La Land, because his name only comes up as a producer of the score, which he would be regardless of his involvement with the album, since that's obviously not one and the same.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:22 am 

Great work guys. I did'nt think we were ever going to see a release of the great score. Love the artwork aswell much better than just the Wolfen legend against a black background like the UK cinema Quad poster.Cover is the same as the US one sheet you can get from ebay from time to time.
I really love this movie its so underated and overlooked i watch it atleast once a year, the steadi-cam work is better than what Garret Brown did a year before in the shining swooping over the ruins of a war torn looking brooklyn.
Carl fullerton who did all the make up fx's got his job on Friday the 13th part II from bring one of the severed heads in to his audition he had made for Wolfen.

Ordered. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:17 am 

Nick wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

Especially considering that some time ago, someone asked him about the release of this score and he said it wasn't possible but didn't elaborate on the reason why.

Also interesting is that as far as we know (and feel free to correct me), Horner has been involved with all of the Intrada releases of his music personally, but has not been involved with any of the FSM releases, though for some....other...reasons that may be understandable.

Not sure if Horner was personally involved with Jade or Commando with La-La Land, because his name only comes up as a producer of the score, which he would be regardless of his involvement with the album, since that's obviously not one and the same.

You mean that Intrada never had a bashing newspaper telling lies and crap about James Horner... ? ^^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:43 am 

Anakin McFly wrote:
You mean that Intrada never had a bashing newspaper telling lies and crap about James Horner... ? ^^

Didn't want to spell it out but indeed that's the "other" reason I alluded to that is indeed understandable. ;)

I imagine Horner's next Intrada score will be another Warner Bros. film like "In Country", but I'm not sure off the top of my head what studios released or in the case of Wolfen which was an Orion Pictures film, acquired the rights to the remaining early film scores like "Deadly Blessing" or some other score.

I remember years ago, though I didn't actually pick it up, that Wolfen was re-released on VHS in the early 2000s and the cover had a piece of information that specifically said Horner's score was changed for the film in some way, either more music added or something similar. I've never seen the film on DVD as a stand-alone release, just bundled with three other horror titles in one of those 4-movie DVD combo packs so I don't know if the same piece was ever included on the DVD label.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 am 

Nick wrote:
I remember years ago, though I didn't actually pick it up, that Wolfen was re-released on VHS in the early 2000s and the cover had a piece of information that specifically said Horner's score was changed for the film in some way, either more music added or something similar.

If it was "Some music has been rescored for this home video presentation," usually that means that source music licenses may not have been covered for video and/or broadcast, and was replaced.

The most blatant example of this is in Wayne's World, which had a moment where Myers is in a music shop and begins to play Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" on his guitar and a worker tells him to stop. You only heard "Stairway" if you saw the film in the theater, otherwise you just hear some random guitar strumming that has no relationship whatsoever to "Stairway." The "No 'Stairway!?!' Denied!!!" joke doesn't work at all anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:10 am 

Terrific release, Hamsters! Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 am 

NICE!!! Can't wait for this one. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 am 

Sooooooooo ordered. Thanks so much Intrada!

:mrgreen:

Wishlist: Wing Commander, Willow, Dark City - (Still waiting)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:36 pm 

Thank you SO much guys. This is one one my favorites.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:21 am 

Nick wrote:
Anakin McFly wrote:

Didn't want to spell it out but indeed that's the "other" reason I alluded to that is indeed understandable. ;)

I imagine Horner's next Intrada score will be another Warner Bros. film like "In Country", but I'm not sure off the top of my head what studios released or in the case of Wolfen which was an Orion Pictures film, acquired the rights to the remaining early film scores like "Deadly Blessing" or some other score.

I remember years ago, though I didn't actually pick it up, that Wolfen was re-released on VHS in the early 2000s and the cover had a piece of information that specifically said Horner's score was changed for the film in some way, either more music added or something similar. I've never seen the film on DVD as a stand-alone release, just bundled with three other horror titles in one of those 4-movie DVD combo packs so I don't know if the same piece was ever included on the DVD label.

The only musical change i know to Wolfen which affects all dvd releases and the above vhs are that. The film originally had a cameo from Tom Waites singing and playing at the piano when Dewey walks into the Indian Bar but WB completley removed that scene becuase of music rights issue's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:06 am 

Wow, Warner Bros. is notorious for making changes to music for their TV-DVDs, and even canceling entire series' releases on DVD because of music licensing costs.

As a fan of the series "Everwood", it was a long five-year wait just to get the second season out on DVD because they wanted to change the songs in the episodes, and then did so for seasons 3 and 4. By then so much time had passed no one would've remembered what songs were used originally when broadcast anyway. I know I didn't.

I've never known a case of this affecting a movie until now. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 am 

All the studios have done this at some point or another. Wolfen was Warner Brothers, Wayne's World was Paramount, Universal did it all the time (including Jaws). Song rights can get really messy. Part of the reason why Heavy Metal wasn't available on home video for years was because of all of the music licensing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:03 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:

My history with Horner goes back to THUNDERHEART, A FAR OFF PLACE and UNLAWFUL ENTRY, long before his TITANIC success. We worked together on each one of those, albeit he did most of the editing on UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY himself.

We always involve Horner on our releases of his music. He gets copies of the mixes and edits, makes suggestions where needed and approves of the final master. In the case of WOLFEN, he also participated in the actual licesning agreement between us and Warner Bros. On all of the Disney/Horner projects, he actually wanted to edit and assemble the masters himself with his longtime engineer Simon Rhodes. We were thrilled at the prospect. On HOUSE OF CARDS, he, in fact, wanted to produce the entire album himself. (He likes that one.) On EXTREME CLOSEUP, he wanted me to produce it and he just wanted to hear the finished master before signing off. On 48 HRS., he nurtured the project, on UNCOMMON VALOR he simply okay'd everything... and so forth.

I can't speak for the other labels but I imagine a lot of Horner's stuff gets released without him being contacted or involved. But here at Intrada, we wouldn't think of doing something of his without having him involved somehow. He's certainly earned that right. (He's fantastic to work with, too.)

In a nutshell, we keep him informed of what we're doing and he in turn seems to enjoy producing/supervising projects with us. I wouldn't want it any other way.
--Doug