[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:01 pm 

INTRADA
Announces:

THE BLACK HOLE
Composed and Conducted by JOHN BARRY

INTRADA/WALT DISNEY RECORDS D001383402

John Barry's 1979 score to the Walt Disney Studios sci-fi epic The Black Hole has consistently been one of the most demanded soundtracks. It was no small feat, and Walt Disney Records and Intrada are now proud to announce its premiere and complete release on CD. The Black Hole was a unique assignment for Barry and he responded with one of his most unusual and audacious scores. His main title for the picture is a strange, dizzying piece, half-waltz, half death-march, driven by a swirling ostinato for synthesizer. Barry was immediately inspired by the image of the black hole and its power in writing this music: “The concept of this bottomless three-quarters swirling thing, the black hole, was the film’s central image for me, and the thought behind the movement of the main theme.” Barry recorded The Black Hole with a 94-piece orchestra that included synthesizer and an unusual percussion instrument invented by Craig Huxley called the blaster beam. While the score was released on an abbreviated LP at the time of the film's theatrical run, its restoration and release on CD has been an elusive event.

John Barry's score was the first digitally recorded soundtrack in motion picture history and was recorded using the 3M Digital Recorder. The format was used sparingly for several years until technology moved on, and due to its limited use, finding working machines had become quite a challenge some 30 years later. Randy Thornton's producer's notes chronicle the entire odyssey through the investigations and trials until successful transfer of the 32-track digital elements, with simply stunning results. Now The Black Hole is presented in complete form with a striking clarity not heard previously.

Set in the far future, The Black Hole follows the crew of the spaceship Palamino: cool-headed Captain Dan Holland (Robert Forster), trigger-happy Lt.
Charlie Pfizer (Joseph Bottoms), ESP-gifted scientist Kate McCrae (Yvette Mimieux), star-struck space researcher Dr. Alex Durant (Anthony Perkins), tag-along veteran journalist Harry Booth (Ernest Borgnine) and quotation-spouting robot V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (voiced by an uncredited Roddy McDowall). When the Palamino enters the gravitational field of an enormous black hole it finds the lost spacecraft Cygnus and its eccentric commander, Dr. Hans Reinhardt, who runs the ship with the help of an army of mysterious robots, including his deadly bodyguard Maximillian. Reinhardt’s plan to take the Cygnus into the black hole’s event horizon eventually threatens the lives of the Palamino crew—just as it apparently doomed the original crew of the Cygnus.

INTRADA/WALT DISNEY RECORDS D001383402
Retail Price: $19.99
AVAILABLE NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7229/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 pm 

ORDERED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:06 pm 

(FSM is down at posting time once again....)

Obviously we knew it was this, but it's a nice birthday present.

What exactly is that "In, Through... And Beyond! " track? Simply an unused track (I hope?)

The synthy stuff on track two sounds a bit more 'forward' than the LP/iTunes versions....or am I just hearing things?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:08 pm 

I was debating about getting this... but I decided to pass on it.

And then I decided I was a moron for doing so.

ORDERED! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:09 pm 

Wowoo, champagne and caviar !!!

ORDERED !

Thx all involved !!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:13 pm 

Stunning, gentlemen, just stunning.

Thank you for making this a reality at long last. Thank you also for making this unlimited - the only reason I'm not ordering now is that from the hints, I'm sure to want either one or both of the Sept 6 releases, and so will save a bit on postage by adding this to that order.

But on that night, you'll have my order to pull me through this incredible musical vortex 8)

Thanks to all at Intrada, and Randy Thornton and Disney, for putting this one together!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:13 pm 

To quote the mad Dr. Hans Reinhardt, "The word 'impossible,' Mr. Booth, is only found in the dictionary of fools."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:14 pm 

Unbelievably awesome. Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:15 pm 

Last edited by Neil on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 pm 

Ordered!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 pm 

I'm still waiting for THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS... :evil:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:20 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:22 pm 

Ordered, of course, and as probably promised a number of times. As said elsewhere, this and the Galactica release have provided a fantastic moment for my own personal interests---much thanks for those who've labored to make this possible. The Black Hole is another dream album to cross off the list, and I'm very pleased to have gotten in on this one. When paired up with Stu Phillips, I'm not sure there's much more out there that I want which could rival the one-two punch of today's release.

Now, if only I could afford a quality model of Cygnus with lighting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:23 pm 

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next