[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Alex North's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: North's 2001
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:09 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:26 am 

The Varese re-recording:
1. Main Title (1:37)
2. The Foraging (3:44)
3. Eat Meat and the Kill (3:27)
4. The Bluff (3:01)
5. Night Terrors (2:02)
6. The Dawn of Man (3:14)
7. Space Station Docking (2:22)
8. Trip to the Moon (3:21)
9. Moon Rocket Bus (5:01)
10. Space Talk (3:30)
11. Interior Orion (1:26)
12. Main Theme* (2:31)

The original recording:
1. The Foraging (3:11)
2. The Bluff (2:38 )
3. Night Terrors (1:47)
4. Bones (1:41)
5. Eat Meat and Kill (4:00)
6. Space Station Docking (5:22)
7. Space Talk (3:47)
8. Trip to Moon (3:04)
9. Moon Rocket Bus (5:19)
10. The Foraging (alternate version) (aka The Dawn of Man) (3:08 )
Bonus Tracks
11. Eat Meat and Kill (take 7-wild) (1:03)
12. Space Station (take 4-partial) (2:11)
13. Docking (take 2) (1:15)

Alex North only gave the first part a score.
And that's all there is. There isn't any more.
*This turned out to be the main theme from North's score for the documentary Africa, not the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:55 am 

I see that DavisDVD.com has a copy of the announcement:
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/music.html
That's the first time I have seen a film music announcement on a DVD site.

Post subject: Re: North's 2001
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:06 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:12 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:30 am 

Just a short note to say thank you for getting this soundtrack out. A very sentimental trip down memory lane for me.

When the film came out I was quite disturbed by Kubrick's choice of music and simply aghast at the slight to Alex North. Over the years I've come to understand what was going on in Kubrick's head regarding his choices in music and while 2001 will always be one of my favorite films, did I ever expect to be holding the actual soundtrack in my hands (or playing it on the machine)? No.

But you guys at Intrada continue to play your own important part in the history of film music, and for that I give you thanks. 2007 has gotten off to a great start. in no small part thanks to you and everyone involved, especially Nic Redman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:57 pm 

"Stanley hates this but I like it!"

That cracked me up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:17 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:32 am 

I finally received my copy on last Saturday along with GOODBY, MR. CHIPS. You figure, I put 2001 in my player first, couldn't wait to start reading the liner notes then.

So, here is my opinion you propably wish not to have read.

I'm not all that positive about this release, if one considers the overhyped goings before the announcement. I agree that it's an important release, and I understand that it was difficult to get it done considering all the obstacles. But, folks, Alex North's score is only a torso, an unfinished work. And, he was too ill, to conduct the orchestra himself, so we will never know what he would have done under less stressful circumstances in full capacity of his forces. So, we're actually not dealing with a fully realised piece of work, the recorded parts - as we learn in the notes - left even the composer wishing that he could revise some portions of it. And yet, it is indeed a fascinating torso, I would go further and say that the story behind it is even more fascinating. It's somehting you almost forget, when reading the liner notes. Because every one seems to be just in awe about the project and seemingly doesn't dare to criticise the oeuvre as such as it is.

I've purchased the Goldsmith rerecording when it came out in 1993. In all these years, I couldn't say that it was something like a 'best player' - I've always missed the finished touch in it - don't get me wrong, I don't blame Alex North nor Intrada for this. After all, North hadn't a chance to finish his work! This dissatisfaction stays with me when I listen now to the Intrada CD. Especially, "Bones", I think, is a awful piece of music, so completely wrong in that movie, that I just must congratulate Kubrick for replacing the original score. That score just doesn't work in the picture. Now, that we have the original recording of North's score, this is clearer than ever to me.

BTW, I found that "Bones" had some sonic imperfections that I was surprised to hear. I'm not talking about 'Mono' which is not a problem for me, but I wouldn't describe this recording (or what was left from it on those x generation tapes at the Academy) as pristine as some do.

In "Eat Meat and Kill" you can hear from time to time a pre-echoe (the first one at about 2:05).

These sonic imperfections are nowhere mentioned in the notes. FSM would have done that.

I disagree when one describes this CD as being a landmark release, musically. - Doug, IMO, you took your mouth just too full this time. - The well written liner notes can't compete with the best booklets that FSM had done so far. Mostly, because the writer's 'fan touch' is just too strong, IMO.

"If music doesn`t sing, or dance, or have an interesting harmonic concept, then it shouldn`t be there at all. A film score should burn with its own fire, not merely glow in the dark like a pretty charcoal." – John Barry, 1972

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:56 pm 

THE PRISONER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:37 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next