[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - All Time Favorite Movie Song

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: All Time Favorite Movie Song
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:23 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Okay, the top 5 Golden Age composers? Well, looks like there's a lot of unanimousness there: Rozsa, Herrmann, Newman, Waxman, Steiner, Korngold, Friedhofer... the usual suspects battling it out neck and neck. So here's a different challenge, probably one whose answers will be considerably less homogeneous.

We are all film score oddballs, that's why we're here, but:

What is your favorite movie song?

That's right, song, not songs. Not a list, just one song. You gotta pick one.

Rules:

Which songs are eligible? All songs that were actually written for a movie, whether they were title songs (like the James Bond songs), musical songs (e.g. "Somewhere over the Rainbow"), end title songs ("It's a long Road"), background songs, dramatic pop songs ("Streets of Philadelphia"), ballads ("Do not forsake me"), disco songs ("What a feeling"), it doesn't matter as long as the song was specifically composed for a movie (or its trailer or its soundtrack). Tie in songs, that were not actually in the movie but were written for the soundtrack album and bear a significant thematic relation to the actual film music (e.g. "The Piper Dreams") qualify, songs that are not in the movie but merely appear on a so called a "soundtrack album" for commercial reasons or for the heck of it do not qualify.

Not eligible are songs that were merely used in or covered for a movie, but were not actually written for a movie or with the movie in mind. That includes but is not limited to musical songs that were actually written for the stage, such as many perennial musical favorites such as "Maria" from West Side Story or "Singing in the Rain" or "Unchained Melody"*; as good as these songs may be, they were not actually written for a movie, so they are disqualified.

* (Small correction: "Unchained Melody" qualifies; see further down this thread for details.)

But you may pick your favorite song based on how well you like versions other than the one actually heard in the movie. In other words, if your favorite movie song is a cover version of the song (say, you love Eric Clapton's "Somewhere over the rainbow"), but you can't stand the song the way it is sung in the movie (the Judy Garland version), that's alright, it still qualifies.

Some rules, eh? Well, this is my thread and here I get to call the shots.

So, now that the rules are clear, your entries, please, Ladies and Gentlemen:

Last edited by Nicolai P. Zwar on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Oh, yes, lest I forget, my own pick:

Henry Mancini & Johnny Mercer: "Moon River"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm 

I wont even hold back here.

Hands down it's got to be BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, by The Coupe De Villes.

Totally cheesy and it sucks, but that's why it's so great!!!

- Oz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:08 pm 

Ruby Dawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:33 pm 

I just listened to "Once" from "Brotherhood of the Wolf" written by Joe LoDuca and someone else - I've always rather liked that one.

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:34 pm 

Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor from Rocky III

It was the first Rocky I saw. It was also one of the first Dolby Stereo movies I experienced.
In the early eighties, there weren’t that many theatres that could reproduce a stereo soundtrack. Now every theatre has Dolby Digital. We’re spoiled...
There are some songs or movies from your ‘childhood’ (in your life) that you did find the max at the time. Some of them you reject today. But there are others you keep find ‘intresting’. So, this is one ‘strong’ song from 1982.
‘I’m getting old...’ 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:14 pm 

I throw out "Moon River" by default but if there's any other movie song I'm really a sucker for it's the warm and fuzzy "Bright Eyes" from WATERSHIP DOWN.
--Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:59 pm 
One song? That's tough.

I'll go with Born Free.

Music by John Barry
Lyrics by Don Black
Vocals by Matt Monro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:00 pm 

Unchained Melody-Alex North, Hy Zaret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:22 pm 

Hands down , Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland.

sd :)

Jerry Goldsmith, Joel Goldsmith, John Williams, Elmer Bernstein,Michael Giacchino,Scott Glasgow,Alan Silvestri, Bernard Herrmann, Christopher Young, Bruce Broughton,Ennio Morricone and a host of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:54 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:53 am 

Last edited by Nicolai P. Zwar on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:59 am 

Though I just see that it was actually nominated for an Academy Award as "Best Original Song". Strange, I always thought that "Unchained Melody" was composed even before the movie Unchained. But okay, if it's good enough for the Academy, it's good enough for this thread. "Unchained Melody" is in the race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:03 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:12 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next