[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces James Horner's WILLOW

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces James Horner's WILLOW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:07 pm 

Just got my copy today. As usual, the packaging/liner notes/presentation is top notch. Having the remaining tracks on is GREAT. Only piece of music potentially missing (it's a minor one) is the source music when Willow and the brownies go into the tavern. I wasn't sure if Horner wrote that or not. But at least the synthy/shakuhachi duet cue when the cat comes out is featured at the beginning of "The Island," so that's good. This is a classic score that was long overdue for a 2-CD treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:30 am 

Just watched the film....
[ coughs]

Excellent score!

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4189-THE-BEST-SOUNDTRACKS-OF-THE-DECADE.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMSjXiRpOI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:49 pm 

Absolute home run - a million thanks Intrada bunch, waited a long time for this and happily played it twice this weekend, with rapt attention.

Over at Mos Eisley they say "how could Sleigh Ride" be dropped?
I'm thinking Horner did a coin toss - Sleigh or Canyon of Mazes. Canyon won.

The comment about the Virgin exec loving and releasing the album after 3mins of listening (New Age fans will love this!), damn near had me crying in laughter. I'll bet he heard the shakuchachi reading the theme, cut it off and said Sold!
Wonder if those New Agers were surprised by the violent barrage of Russian-styled-neo-classicalism, peppered with aleatoric-garde effects! There is that one section of Journey Begins & the opening of the End Title I guess, ha!

Beyond class act & DeWald is one of our finest writers of the liners I feel. Thank you all!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:25 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:52 am 

Pretty much the cat I saw as well!

Thankful however, since that Virgin album provided decades of listening enjoyment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:43 am 

I just want to say a word of thanks here. I've been listening to WILLOW quite a bit this past week and I'm overwhelmed by how much the added music improves the experience of the score. That's not always the case - I prefer to have everything of course, but sometimes an expansion delivers more of what the original soundtrack already had. Then there are the cases like NIGHT CROSSING where the improvement in audio is so dramatic that it changes everything. In the case of WILLOW the new sections really bring out the secondary themes and make for a much more complete journey. Even though I had heard it in the old Virgin CD I never realized that Arik had his own motif, a sort of Wagnerian horn flourish. That's just one way that the score deepened for me. There are many more.

I can't imagine how much searching and researching went into this release so thanks to the whole team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:22 pm 

I received my copy yesterday and just finished my second listen. It's a magnificent score and a wonderful release. I really love the artwork and liner notes as well.

I wasn't sure about placement of the Willow's Theme track at first but it actually makes perfect sense. It serves almost as an Intermission/Entr'acte to the score. The tone of the narratives definitely changes with the opening of Canyon of Mazes. The first half is breezier and more exploratory while the second feels grander and more epic. If they were ever to perform this score live to picture it would be a good idea to divide this way as well. :D

A dream come true. Horner fans are getting spoiled this year!

Karol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:01 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2