[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - A lifetime of collecting, wiped out...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: A lifetime of collecting, wiped out...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:59 pm 

I'm hoping someone will read what I'm about to write...

My brother and I are currently in Los Angeles. Monday morning I flew to Ohio to take care of some personal business. Tuesday morning at 6:00 am I went to the Public Storage facility where we have all of our worldly possessions stored in a climate controlled unit to check things out. The key wouldn't fit the lock. I waited until 9:30 am for the employee to arrive.I told him about the key, he pulled my file and said there had been an issue last May with the lock being tampered with. He said a new lock had been installed and we walked back to the unit, he put the new key in and walked away quickly. I opened the door, everything was gone. A lifetime of my brother and I collecting film music, jazz recordings, 16mm films, posters, books, compact discs. Personal items, my father's purple heart from ww2, photos, a hand gun, some autographs, everything wiped out. I stood there nearly in tears and three hours away from my flight back to Los Angeles. As I write this I'm on the verge of crying...

I went back to the office demanding answers, the desk clerk would tell me nothing, the district manager on the phone was vague and evasive. I called the police and filed a report. The police officer recommended I contact an attorney. I'm currently awaiting a call from a detective...

I flew back to Los Angeles dreading having to tell my brother this horrible news. He and I, for a little over 10 years have been more or less homeless, living in our car. I dreamed of the day when all of our stuff could be taken out of storage and enjoyed once again. And now it's all gone. A rough estimate of value is between at least two hundred and fifty and three hundred thousand dollars. Stuff that I've been acquiring since the age of 15 and he for an equally long time. It's a tough thing for he and I to deal with. Makes me sad as hell, it truly does...

Post subject: Re: A lifetime of collecting, wiped out...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:19 am 

I don't know what to say.... Except for words on a message board written by someone who can't offer anything but sympathy... Hoping you can get them back....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:17 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:36 am 

The people here among this community of collectors can empathize with the devastation of this loss, Victor. I know that our condolences will seem very slim consolation, in the face of being robbed of a lifetime's physical treasures and keepsakes -- especially for the abruptness of your discovery, without warning and apparently well after the fact. The same loss from a fire or natural disaster would have been less painful.

But in writing you now, as another collector of music, film prints and memorabilia who (like most of us) also possesses irreplaceable mementoes of departed family members, I'm praying that you will receive this as the comfort I intend: Remember the truth of THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. By nature, we crave and pursue material satisfactions, little of which stockpile will truly define us individually... and none of which we'll retain after we die.

I shouldn't assume, but for both of your sakes I hope that you and your brother are close. Whether through theft or the storage facility's commercial negligence, the horrible disappearance of your stored possessions is a blow that affects the two of you together. It is a crushing tragedy... but it would have been even worse for either of you to have had to bear alone. I am not wishing grief upon your brother -- just hoping that shared loss leads you to support and appreciate each other at this time.

However, I can offer you this. Last year I gave up selling on eBay after still more intrusive demands upon sellers; so at some point when you're ready to rebuild, if you provide a list of your favorite composers or score titles I will donate what replacements I can, from among my "trade pile" and, especially, my growing stack of CDs later remastered and reissued.

May that car remain in good repair. Beyond that, may your life conditions improve according to your needs and priorities... and soon. I'm very sorry for your suffering.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:54 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:10 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
The only reason I respond is... I read your post.

I do not know how to offer consolation (yeah, sure, I could go on rambling about how material possessions don't mean anything).

I do not know how to cheer you up (I'm a cynic who thinks life is dreary... deal with it.)

I do not know how to tell you a thousand things that might matter to somebody, maybe to me, but not to you.

But I do know how to say one thing, and I really mean it: I really, and I mean really, feel sorry for you.

What a terrible thing that happened to you, I really know and feel how valuable a collection of "stuff" can be.

I hope there will be at least some monetary compensation or legal recourse? You seem to have lost a grievous part (or all) of your collection?

I do not know what else to say or what words I could write to help you. (Didn't I mention I'm a cynic? I'm not good at comforting people. Ah, yes, I mentioned it.)

Just this: what the f+++ happened and surely there must be a way to get your stuff back? (Or at least compensation?)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:42 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:58 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Man, I really, really feel your loss. I don't know what to say. But as I said... surely there must be some way for you to get compensated? What happened? Somebody broke in and stole the stuff? Are storage places not insured for such cases? Even if you collection is gone, there must be some kind of at least monetary compensation?
Of course, money pales in comparison to a lifetime collection of stuff that has meaning to oneself, but it still is better than nothing at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:44 am 

The news media in Columbus, Ohio is preparing a story on this which will be aired on television. They're getting in touch with the detectives who will be investigating. Hopefully, we'll be able to find out who is responsible and what happened to everything that was stolen. The estimated value of the theft is at least between $250,000 and $300,000 dollars. Needless to say, after the police investigation is complete there will be some serious lawsuits filed against Public Storage. Hopefully criminal charges as well...

I am feeling completely violated...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:33 am 

What a hell of a disaster. I nearly cry too. I'm veeeeeeeeeeryyyyyy sorry about that. I hope you get at least the most important stuff back. Have you checked local pawn shops, ebay etc. already? Maybe some stuff pops up there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:29 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:13 pm 

I am so sorry for you and your brother. I really hope you will recover, if not all, at least the most part of your beloved collection. I wish the best of lucks for you both.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:38 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:24 am 

As an avid collector of LPs, CDs and other cinema memorabilia myself, I think I can understand how you feel. It is like somebody had stolen your entire life. I know that life shouldn't be about gathering things around you, but about human relationships and affects, personal realization, etc. But it is not possible to avoid feeling something near to an affective relation towards the things which have been important and meaningful for you along your life. Things that are part of everyone's dearest memories, part of the personality and soul. Somehow, the person who has done that to you, has commited an act similar to a murder. I sincerely hope you and your brother will recover all the stolen stuff, and that the people responsible for that crime will pay for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:38 pm 

The police detective assigned to the case refuses to properly investigate the theft. He sent a message stating there is no evidence to pursue. That's wrong, there is plenty of evidence to pursue. He said the case is inactive. How can something like this happen? I don't understand.

I'm contacting the Columbus, Ohio mayor's office and city attorney as well as searching for an attorney who will listen. The guy at the television station said he hopes to do a story that's helpful if the station management will allow him. He asked for photos that might be useful in the story. We haven't heard back since.

What an ugly thing. An ugly thing that deserves to be examined. It's like, where is the joy and happiness and humor that used to be? I'm hurting bad. I love my brother, he and I don't deserve this...

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please email me...

victoravalentine@yahoo.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next