[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Synth Scores That Would Be Much Better for Full Orchestra

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Synth Scores That Would Be Much Better for Full Orchestra
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:40 pm 

Not every synth score would translate well to orchestra, though some could be quite interesting. Which would you say fit in the latter category?

One score that I think would benefit greatly from full orchestral arrangement is Alan Silvestri's Delta Force.

Post subject: Re: Synth Scores That Would Be Much Better for Full Orchestr
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:38 am 

Goldsmith’s Runaway

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:15 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:45 pm 

Ladyhawke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:33 pm 

James Horner´s "The Name of the Rose"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:47 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:54 pm 

Goldsmith's RUNAWAY - the cues "Alley Flight" and "Lockons" - I'd love to hear what those cues would sound like if played with a full orchestra.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:24 am 

The best composers created a new sound with their electronic scores. The hacks create artificial sounds that mimic musical instruments and replace actual musicians. Any idiot can do that with a laptop computer...

I like electronic film scores, Videodrome (Howard Shore), Runaway (Jerry Goldsmith), The Andromeda Strain (Gil Mellé) and the granddaddy of them all, Forbidden Planet (Louis and Bebe Barron)...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:31 pm 

Over the summer, the Hollywood Bowl did a live-to-film performance of "The Princess Bride", with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra performing a new, fully orchestral arrangement of Mark Knopfler's score. It was something of a revelation. The action, romance, emotional content, and even the humor all seemed more heightened. Obviously, the live musicians were part of it, but I truly think it was a better film with a full orchestra.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:23 am 

The Chemical Brothers' music for Hanna would be much better if it was accompanied by a string orchestra & some soloists including a violin, a cello, percussion & piano.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:08 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:54 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Few if any, unless the reason synthesizers were used was to emulate "real" instruments.

Electronics have a certain timbre, and instrumentation is part of composing. If a composer chooses a certain electronic instrument, I don't see why it would be "better" had he not done so?

Scores like RUNAWAY are electronic scores, I don't see how translating them to an orchestra would make them "better" (certainly different).

I'm not nuts about transferring an orchestral score to synthesizer (Giorgio Moroder's adaptation of the "Superman Theme" isn't more than a curiosity), but likewise I don't see how a score like RUNAWAY would be improved if the electronic sonorities would be removed and replaced by violins, brass, and woodwind.

There's an argument to be made that Maurice Jarre's cue "Raising the Barn" from Witness works better as an orchestral cue though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:34 pm 

Goldsmith's Criminal Law would benefit greatly from a symphonic upgrade. As would Silvestri's Clan of the Cave Bear.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]