[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces James Horner's LEGENDS OF THE FALL

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces James Horner's LEGENDS OF THE FALL
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:22 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

LEGENDS OF THE FALL
Music Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
INTRADA ISC 443

First and foremost, Intrada wants everyone to know that you and your families are all in our thoughts, hoping you stay safe and healthy through this trying time. May you find solace in the vast wealth of beautiful music in the universe, where we often turn to help sort through and understand our feelings.

And now back to our regular program...

Intrada's latest release from composer James Horner is one of his grandest works -- the 1994 western Legends of the Fall. Horner graced Legends of the Fall with no fewer than five broad, sweeping themes that recur throughout the picture, writing almost all of the score in the key of D major or related keys. The film was directed by Ed Zwick, with whom Horner previously collaborated on his magnificent score to Glory. After Zwick discussed the score and heard Horner's final product, Zwick commented, "All I can say is that somehow James managed to distill all these lofty conversations into a score that is at once brooding and lush, redolent of both love and loss, and that touches that secret place of awe I had experienced only once before—upon my first reading of Legends of the Fall." Not that the score isn't without its moments of action, including a brilliant moment where Horner lays down the theme for Tristan on strings and horns over a bed of propulsive rhythm. It all combines to create an epic score and one of Horner's finest.

While the original CD release was a generous presenation of Horner's score, this new presentation expands the program considerably, filling up two CDs, including 35 minutes of alternates.

The film tells of a two-generational saga—filled with loss and desire—involving Col. William Ludlow (Anthony Hopkins in the film), a renegade with a moral stripe; his distant wife, Isabel (Christina Pickles); their three sons: Alfred (Aidan Quinn), Tristan (Brad Pitt) and Samuel (Henry Thomas); and the woman who suffers the fate of loving all three of them, Susannah (Julia Ormond).

INTRADA ISC 443
Barcode: 720258544308
Retail Price: $29.99
Note: Due to local restrictions related to the pandemic, shipping time may be slower than usual
For track listing and sound samples, please visit the Legends of the Fall soundtrack page at http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1 ... gory=22848

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces James Horner's LEGENDS OF THE FALL
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:17 pm 

This score perfectly exemplifies how there has been no "closer" like Horner. His finales have hit me harder than anything else, all the way to the end with his spectacular score for Wolf Totem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

You forgot you link the actualy page FWIW.

Even if I don't end up getting this, release done this way is my favorite style of release and it certainly might lean me toward buying it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

This is an incredible score and I'm excited to see how much alternate material is included on this definitive 2-CD edition!

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:49 pm 

I was very proud (and honored as always when writing about Intrada releases) to be involved with this in-depth analysis:

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/legend ... ve-review/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:36 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:51 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:53 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 am 

Thanks Doug! I'm relatively fortunate in that my taste largely aligns with the head of a film music specialty label. ;)

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:16 am 

This score is in the category of scores I've listened to a couple of cues, mostly The Ludlows, on the OST, but have not paid as much attention to the score as I should.

Releases like this give me a reason to listen to and revisit the score in it's longer form, and in many cases will give me a greater appreciation and love for the score.

I look forward to listening to the entire score here. Thanks Intrada. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:25 am 

I still remember when I left the cinema in 1994, I kept telling myself that I absolutely had to go to the store to buy the soundtrack from Horner. No other score after Glory could have moved me so much in a film. He had such a big heart and his music bears witness to it. Horner generally wrote in order to develop a form and his finals are no exception. For me, those that ended in morendo (Willow, Glory, Appolo 13, Windtalkers ...) are my favorites. Thank you Intrada for this expanded score!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 pm 

This one is an emotional Roller Coaster ride all the way to the end.

Thanks Intrada!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:04 pm 

This Horner composition is in my top 5 of his filmography, for sure. Some of the most emotional writing he's ever done is featured here. That solo piano, which I believe was done himself(?), stands out among so many beautiful moments. Thanks so much for expanding on this score. Looking forward to spinning my copy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 am 

A treasured release !

When I was in my twenties, I didn’t use to share my tastes with my parents that much, may it be about music or about movies (my two hobbies then). The day I went back from the theater where I did watch for Legends of the Fall, I was so amazed by the film and immediately decided that it was a masterpiece. The lush music by James Horner has had a huge impact on me as a viewer and once the OST in hands, as a listener. I remember I came back home very late that night and I wrote a note to my parents which said “Cancel your trip in Egypt, forget about your next duty, leave all, run and go to the theater for watching Legends of the Fall”. Like me, they felt in love with the movie AND its music. 25 years or so after my note, they still speak to me from time to time about it with great fondness. That was the magical power of James Horner’s music.

Thank you so much for the reissue of one of his very best scores.
(And yes, I bought a copy for my parents too!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:46 am 

Hope I can get a copy one day ;)

Any idea when yet this might be back in stock?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next