[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:22 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE
Music Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
INTRADA ISC 447

At a time when we're all sheltering at home, awaiting what's next and when "what's next" will be, we could all use something bright and cheery. Jerry Goldsmith's effervescent score to the 1963 20th Century Fox feature film Take Her, She's Mine fits that bill perfectly. The score kicks things off in a swinging jazz vein—a sound that underwent a revival in the late fifties and early sixties, and so was somewhat contemporary, but would have also resonated with older film goers. This strand runs throughout the score. To play up the story’s farcical elements, he frequently employs the contrasting colors of solo tuba and calliope. Goldsmith wrote two principal themes for Take Her, She’s Mine, both of which are explored in highly creative ways. The main title tune begins with a series of jocular ascending figures before meandering to its eventual resolution. The score’s second major idea is a frenetic motif chiefly associated with protagonist Frank’s misadventures.

There's only a handful of Goldsmith scores that have yet to be released in any form, and the music elements for this title were long thought damaged beyond use. But with advances in technology and the meticulous work of restoration expert Chris Malone, Intrada is able to present nearly all of Goldsmith's score in stereo. Malone had to restore the audio of each channel separately to get the wondrous results heard here. Rather than compromise the naturally wide instrumental spread, which was never intended for a stereo mix, Intrada also offers a mono presentation of the program as heard in the film.

The film opens with lawyer Frank Michaelson (James Stewart) brought before his bank colleagues to defend himself against a series of increasingly lurid headlines. The main story proceeds in flashback, as Frank’s comfortable life with his wife, Anne (Audrey Meadows), and two daughters is upended when the older girl, Mollie (Sandra Dee), goes off to college. Realizing that his daughter is, in the popular parlance, “a dish,” Frank frets to no end and lets his wild imagination get the better of him...

INTRADA ISC 447
Barcode: 720258547504
Retail Price: $21.99
Note: Due to local restrictions related to the pandemic, shipping time may be slower than usual
For track listing and sound samples, please visit the Take Her, She's Mine soundtrack page at http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12179/.f.

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:45 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:09 pm 

Yep, that's the theme! Interesting find!

This theme is also the basis of "Late Reading," where Goldsmith transforms it so significantly that I didn't catch it on my first listen!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:48 pm 

It certainly surprised me when I was listening to Yavar’s amazing podcast. I had to rewind it to listen again and again to be sure!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:21 pm 

In addition to unused scores, reusing musical themes from television scores for theatrical films was quite common. Even other big boys like Jerry Fielding, Lalo Schifrin and John Williams knew how to never let a good theme go to waste.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:18 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:06 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:08 am 

Yes, with the volume of Goldsmith's output it's amazing he didn't re-use themes *more* (and more noticeably) than he did. Certainly other composers who were less prolific did so to a greater extent.

I would liken Goldsmith more to Alfred Newman in the Golden Age. Newman wrote a mammoth work for Captain from Castile (my favorite Golden Age score, incidentally), with fully a DOZEN themes -- his theme for the New World was re-used from The Black Swan, I'm fairly certain, but it works musically and fantastically well in film context, for the later film. As does his score for The Robe lose any of its power because he re-used some stuff he wrote for The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Not in my opinion.

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:41 am 

One important case of self-borrowing that always springs to my mind is Alan Silvestri's triumphant theme in Cat's Eye getting writ large for Back to the Future. The result being that we got one of the most effective scores ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:46 am 

Hope I can get a copy one day ;)

Any idea when yet this might be back in stock?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:32 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:54 am 

a bit too costly...

$41.70 + $16.60 Shipping & Import Fees

+ I'd rather support Intrada when it is only out of stock.

It's at the plant. Give it a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:39 pm 

Did you ever pick this up, Lokutus? It's been back in stock for a month or two now. Also, for anyone on the fence we at the Goldsmith Odyssey produced a belated Soundtrack Spotlight podcast celebrating it (with a lot of cue samples in addition to great discussion). The special guests were none other than Mike Mattesino, Chris Malone (who performed the substantial restoration), and John Takis (who wrote the liner notes). It was a really cool "reunion" of sorts, something different from the other Spotlights we've done. And David, who edited this one (Jens did the other three Spotlights to date) as well as co-hosting with me...well, he just did an incredible job incorporating relevant excerpts from the interviews we did earlier in the year with Chris Malone and Neil S. Bulk, so you really get the full picture on this. It's basically an audio documentary of sorts about the making of this album, as well as a celebration of this delightful score:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com ... -mine-1963
Let me know what you think if you give this conversation a listen.

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:02 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]