Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2008 Universal Fire...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:45 pm 

Reading about the 2008 Universal fire awhile ago, seems almost every name under the sun was affected, everyone from Tom Jones to whoever. Entire label master tapes gone, Decca, Chess, Impulse...

I'm wondering how many film music masters were lost?

Post subject: Re: 2008 Universal Fire...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:55 am 

From a recent FSM thread I remember that no film music masters were lost, but MCA and other Universal labels soundtrack master recordings (like album rerecordings of Jaws and Airport 1975 and other soundtrack album masters like E.T. and Dracula) could have been lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:18 am 

UMG minimized the extent, only recently was it revealed hundreds of thousands of music masters were destroyed. There's a who's, who online of hundreds of artists from the 1940's - 2000's whose material was particularly or completely destroyed.

UMG covered it up for a long time until a number of people complained after given the runaround when requesting material. It really is a great loss to the history of American music.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:11 am 

Who knows about film music specifically, but the latest I heard is that a staggering half-a-million music masters were possibly burned. UMG appears to have since learned two things: 1.) You can't bend the truth with people without being caught later, and 2.) Iron Mountain is their best friend going forward.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]