[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - VARESE CLUB - THE RELEASES

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:06 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:28 pm 

None of the titles excited me at first so I was going to pass completely, but I thought I would first give a listen to all the samples at the very least. After listening to them all I was shocked to discover that I really wanted to order Lucas and none of the others.

Lucas really popped for me. Not sure why exactly as I never longed for the score in the past, but the samples truly won me over. Also, I don't order the 1000 only titles unless I actually want them. That gives the true fans a better shot at them.

I also ordered Hawaii and Studs Lonigan. Two scores I should have ordered a long time ago.

Tai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:21 am 

Last edited by Christian Kühn on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:49 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
The Birdman of Alcatraz is my favorite of the bunch. At least that comes in 3000 copies. Also, while I am unfamiliar with the Cook score, the Friedhofer CD is certainly a welcome release.

Hmm... I wonder how wise it is of Varese to still do these "limited to 1000" releases. Seems to me that, no matter what it is, they all sell out in less than a day or two. So I think they could slowly raise the number of their "lowest number editions", say to 1200, and, if they still sell out that quickly, to 1500.
I'm not surprised that a Goldsmith sci-fi effort in a limited edition of no more than 2000 sold out so quickly. Even though it's not among his most stellar efforts, it is at least intriguing to hear Goldsmith experiment with completely eletrconic sonorities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:51 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:16 pm 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
I never bothered to pick up Runaway when it originally came out, but put in an order for it this time. Looking forward to some 80s synth spectacle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:25 am 

The cover of this new edition is vastly superior to the original. If I'm not mistaken, it was one of the first cd's I ever bought, and was one of the first Varese ever issued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:22 pm 

Technically RUNAWAY was Varese's 21st production disc, as it's issue number was 47221. Still an obnoxious score, but even louder and clearer than before. I hope Varese issues a deluxe CRIMINAL LAW to close the book on Goldsmith's electronic opuses.

This latest batch was really good and I'd say the least impressive score is LUCAS, it's an upbeat companion to David Newman's HEATHERS.

BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ is awesome and sheds some light on ideas used on MY LEFT FOOT. These scores are similar but BIRDMAN is easily superior.

Ray Cook's CAREFUL, HE MIGHT HEAR YOU sounds like a homage to Miklos Rozsa.. I'm not implying that he's emulating Rozsa, but the lush sound and scope of this score sounds very Golden Age and at times comes close to the grandeur heard in the Time Machine Waltz and some of Fedora.
Also, this particular LP is over 40 minutes long, so it's an extremely nice choice for the budget reissue series.
Well worth owning.

SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD is nice too, but I need to give it a another listen, some may argue that the THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR has gotten the shaft (similar to THE SANDLOT), but perhaps a more complete MONO release will be issued.

Last edited by DeviantMan on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:25 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:08 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:47 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:36 am 
[quote="STEVENJ
You won't be disapointed in SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD, Robert. It is magnificent! I listened to it last night upon receipt of my discs and took it to play on my drive to work this morning. ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR.
Like you, the other release I anticipated the most was BIRDMAN, and I'll be listening to it over the long weekend. Nice seeing you post again!

I can't get enough Hugo Friedhofer.[/quote]

Hi Steven,

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday! The same, of course, goes to Doug and the other American participants who are part of this community!

I still have my tape of the soundtrack to SEVEN CITIES, recorded from TV when I was an adolescent. David Raksin was right in his praise of Friedhofer's subtle genius.

Trying to get a major personal project completed, so fewer posts, but I do check in on a regular basis. There are folks who post here with whom I do keep in semi-regular contact, off-line. These friendships grew out of Intrada's forum. I consider this a very positive aspect of internet culture.

Don't eat too much turkey and trimmings, or you'll fall asleep listening to BIRDMAN!! (There is potential humour in there, but I won't go there. :) )

b.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next