[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Michel Legrand's "The Other Side of the Wind"

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Michel Legrand's "The Other Side of the Wind"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm 

Afternoon, all -

I don't suppose this is something that Intrada could pick up and put out for us greedy savages on the other side of the counter? (Or Music Box, or Quartet, or Kritzerland, or....?) A proper CD release that is not a part of a twenty-disc set that I don't know that I can shell out for at the moment would be great. I saw the movie last night and while I usually dig Legrand's music, his work on this seemed quite exceptional to my ears. There was a fair bit of jazz trio stuff behind the party scenes, which I suppose will rankle some round these parts, but the noir-y jazzy stuff under the film-within-a-film, which got a lot of space on the soundtrack because of the nature of the thing, was a lot of fun too.

His end title cue knocked me on my backside, though. I don't know what direction Legrand got or from whom, but it plays like a glorious emotional culmination to the forty-odd years of work that it took to get this film done and released. I'm keen to see the film again just to revisit the end credit music, actually. I'm not familiar enough with Legrand's music to recognize if it's a previously existing piece of music, but even if it is I wouldn't mind having it on CD.

Controversial opinion warning: There is also a significant amount of preexisting and source music in the movie that could stand to be represented on a soundtrack CD as well. In particular, there's a very striking gypsy (?) singer over the film's climax that is used to striking effect. They indicated in the Q&A that a lot of their music choices were driven by things Welles wrote down in memos or notes to himself or others, this vocal piece at the end in particular. My music wish list has been whittled down nicely over the years and this is the first time in a good long while that I've added a thing to it — seems like a good sign of something or other, hmm? :D

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Post subject: Re: Michel Legrand's "The Other Side of the Wind"
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:46 pm 

Your post sent me to wikipedia, there's a detailed page that I'll read later but it looks like a damn good film. So far whoever releases the Michel Legrand score has two copies sold.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 am 

This article from last May is more readable and more current than Wikipedia last time I looked.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... last-movie

:D

And here’s a trailer.

https://youtu.be/nMWHBUTHmf0

If that ain’t enough, here’s a trailer for a documentary Netflix is releasing with the movie that gives all the backstory. I haven’t seen it yet, but those who have say it’s quite good.

https://youtu.be/H_kOsnGzfYY

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:11 am 

The latest good news about this film and its music is to be found at the end of this article.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/com ... 6_Rhb0h3d0

To sum up, Legrand wrote and recorded music for the whole length of the two hour "The Other Side of the Wind" of which about 45 minutes are in the film. The soundtrack CD will have more than the 45 and they're looking at including all of the music on the Blu-Ray — maybe as an alternate audio track, I'm guessing? This makes me very happy indeed. :D

Those who are on Netflix can see Michel Legrand in the 40-odd minute supplemental documentary called "A Final Cut for Orson" presented with "The Other Side of the Wind." Poor guy ended up in the hospital and couldn't conduct his music or supervise the dubbing (would they have DARED leave so much of his music out otherwise? :wink: ) but he appears for a moment in this. The stony expression on Bogdanovich's face as Legrand says that he envisions music from the beginning to the end of the movie had me falling about!

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]