[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Possible Future Recordings

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

What score would you like to get a brand new recording?
Jungle Book 18%  18%  [ 68 ]
Suspicion 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
The Man Who Knew Too Much 14%  14%  [ 54 ]
Face of a Fugitive/Black Patch 20%  20%  [ 76 ]
Strangers on a Train 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
The Haunting 12%  12%  [ 43 ]
Joan of Arc 13%  13%  [ 47 ]
Brute Force 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 373
 Post subject: Re: Possible Future Recordings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:53 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:08 am 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:54 am 

My choice:

- The Haunting
- Brute Force
- Joan of Arc (I would have preferred Vera Cruz, but I like a lot any Friedhofer's)

Goldsmith's Black Patch/Face of a Fugitive would be my 4th option.

By the way, not enough Bronislaw Kaper releases (very, very few) in the last years.
Yeah, I know, it's presumably not a good seller, but I am looking forward to discovering his MGM 1940's works: Keeper of the Flame, Bataan, That Forsyte Woman, Gaslight (around 35 minutes) and many more. Maybe someday he will deserve the Waxman BoxSet treatment. Kaper is a TOP FAVORITE of mine.
So I'll add to my list Green Dolphin Street and The Big Sleep (Max Steiner). And, obviously, Vera Cruz.

Have a nice day! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:26 am 

This is my first post on this board. To all Greeting!

I guess the three scores I’d vote for would be:
JOAN OF ARC
THE JUNGLE BOOK
STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

Though I enjoy every Herrmann, I regard MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH a lesser score of his, especially since the central piece, integral to the story, he did not compose.

Also, because of his general popularity, I wouldn’t be surprised if Goldsmith scores dominate these re-recordings. I love some Goldsmith, but certainly not all.

Ah well. At least, unrecorded scores are finally going to be done. And that really is a great thing, no matter how you look at it.

(Though, one day, I’d love to see GREEN DOLPHIN STREET, THAT HAMILTON WOMAN, Herrmann’s THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, and even a complete TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS. What would life be like without pipe dreams?)

Last edited by John B. Archibald on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 am 

It does seem like if Kaper is ever given attention for a re-recording, Green Dolphin Street should be at the front of the list. I've seen it repeatedly brought up so many times, and Lukas confirmed that original tapes are lost (or he would've released it on FSM).

Have you given this a listen, John? http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... ickstarter

I'm curious if (either of) the two sample cues we included in that are "your kind of Goldsmith" or not.

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 am 

If there ever is need for a short score to fill out a disc I would suggest Fielding's Noon Wine! And it's scored for small orchestra.

:D

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:07 am 

If anyone is wondering why the top three results are what they are...it's because those three composers have more active fan communities, I think.

I know as soon as I saw this I shared it to various Goldsmith Facebook groups, and we put together that PSA to reach our own podcast subscribers.

But John Takis shared the poll at the fairly-active Rozsa forum here (which corresponded to when Jungle Book overtook Herrmann in the poll):
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/miklosr ... 0-s20.html

And speaking of Herrmann, I recently discovered the Herrmann forum and this poll was promoted there as well, which is probably why Herrmann was leading initially. I would link to it now but the bernardherrmann.org seems down at the moment, for some reason.

Again, what's super unexpected is Hugo Friedhofer's strong 4th place here, only half the distance behind Herrmann than Herrmann is behind Goldsmith, now. Ol' Hugo actually has a fantastic looking website, but the attached Forum hasn't ever had a single post, and it doesn't appear the webmaster has put in a news item about this poll either:
https://hugofriedhofer.dudaone.com/

And yet Joan of Arc is still doing so well in this poll!

Yavar

P.S. FSM user raferjanders made a couple fantastic custom covers which I just thought I'd share here -- would love to see what other people might come up with for the other options in this poll -- Joan of Arc in particular!

And the flip side:

And finally, an alternate version of Black Patch:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 am 

My vote:

1. The Man Who Knew Too Much
2. Suspicion
3. Jungle Book or Brute Force (split vote, any Miklos Rozsa would be welcome)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am 

Face of a Fugitive/Black Patch all the way.

Yavar has kindly shared the artwork already. Musicians take your seats please :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm 

From Russia with Love complete.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am 

The Herrmann forum is back up, so here's the thread link I originally wanted to share in my recent-ish post:
http://talking.bernardherrmann.org/talk ... topic=4405

Franz Waxman has a nice official website like Hugo Friedhofer does, but unlike Friedhofer, doesn't even have an empty forum. There is however a news page, but whoever updates it did not use it to mention this poll (or was unaware): http://franzwaxman.com/news/

Similarly the official Dmitri Tiomkin website has no forum, only a news page. They did mention Intrada's successful Dial 'M' Kickstarter campaign but also seem to have missed Roger's subsequent poll, in terms of promoting Strangers on a Train for the next project: http://www.dimitritiomkin.com/category/news/

Of course as I said, both Strangers on a Train and Suspicion have at least had substantial suites available (re-recorded for the Tiomkin and original recording for the Waxman, released by Intrada on their mega Waxman set), so that might also factor into them being at the bottom of the results.

There is *no* official Humphrey Searle webpage to promote the possibility of his score for The Haunting to followers, so its showing in this poll is still quite impressive even though it's just barely been pushed to fifth place again by Friedhofer's awesome Joan of Arc...

It also seems fair to say that the voting has pretty much halted at this point. Hoping Roger will chime in about it sooner or later.

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:01 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:01 pm 

How long is this poll going to be active before a choice is made?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 am 

I've suggested a rerecordings From Russia with Love. I would fill out the CD with a rerecordings of John Williams My Friend Mr. Nobody.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next