[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - One Hit Wonders!!!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: One Hit Wonders!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:15 am 

I just got to thinking about a rock group from the '80's, *THE FLOCK OF SEAGULLS and was trying to remember more than one song that they did besides "I RAN" I ran so far away...). The correlation here to film music is what composer(s) had a similar line of success, only scoring one notable hit or maybe only scoring one film that has stood the test of time. One that come to mind is TOTO's score to DUNE. Though the band does have notable film music links (Joseph Williams' is John Williams' son) and some of the members have gone on to scoring careers (Steve Porcaro, Marty Paich), but none have ever had anything match the success ofDUNE(which I still think is a pretty kick ass soundtrack).

Does anyone else have some names to add to this list?

- Oz

*NOTE: As far as I know, even though the main guys from FLOCK OF SEAGULLS last name was SCORE, unlike TOTO, they have never actually scored a film.

And just for fun - a TOTO link: http://www.toto-rocks.com/id8.html
And a FLOCK OF SEAGULLS link: http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/artists/f ... agulls.htm (check out those hair cuts!)

Last edited by TheOzMan on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: One Hit Wonders!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:10 am 

One composer I recall is Andrew Powell - Ladyhawke (1985)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:02 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:41 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Leonard Bernstein: On The Waterfront
Superb film score, top notch work, yet his only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:46 pm 

I think the topic is about "one hit wonders" but feel free to clarify. Leonard Bernstein probably wouldn't qualify since he's got hits up the wazoo outside of film music. Many visible composers did steady work but never had a hit, of course. If "hit" is the keyword, maybe David Raksin qualifies. He's got a lot of music out there but "Laura" is what he came in with, went out with. However, my knowledge of popular music is limited. If someone knows other really successful Raksin tunes, please jump in. (I hope I didn't hijack the thread and send it in some unwanted direction.) Great topic, Oz!
--Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:02 pm 
How about Kitaro - Heaven & Earth (1993). He has done other work, but I'm pretty sure that is the only score he did, and it is a great one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:20 pm 

[quote="TheSnowLeopard"]How about Kitaro - [b]Heaven & Earth [/b](1993). He has done other work, but I'm pretty sure that is the only score he did, and it is a great one.[/quote]

That's a great one, but it does look like he's done a few other scores ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003317/ ) Still, this is heading in the right direction.

- Oz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:40 pm 

Okay... here's one,

CINEMASCORE ( http://www.imdb.com/company/co0116834/ ) - they scored Schwarzenegger's RAW DEAL. I actually liked this score, and though it is very dated, it still has a quirky sort of appeal (kind of like Harold Faltermeyer's RUNNING MAN).

Granted this group, like TOTO, was made up by a number of members, like orchestrator/Composer Chris Boardman and composer Tom Bahler (of COLD FEET fame http://www.varesesarabande.com/quickfind.asp ). Keeping in tow with the subject "one hit wonders," this smacks the bullseye!

Any more?

- Oz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:02 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:20 am 
Eddie Sauter - MICKEY ONE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:39 am 

I like Jonathan Sheffer's music for "In a Shalow Grave", very much. It's a masterpiece. Altough perhaps not really a one hit wonder, there are a few other soundtracks released from this composer. But after a short while of creativity he started conducting for Danny Elfman and Elliot Goldenthal, and to my knowledge, didn't do to much composing, since then.

Do hope, he will start again some day.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:56 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

Last edited by Nicolai P. Zwar on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:02 am 

Then there is also of course Peter Schickele's wonderful music score for Silent Running. According to IMDB he's done a couple of more film scores, but I don't know any of them. (Classical music lovers with a sense of humor are, of course, familiar with some of his other work. ;) )

Last edited by Nicolai P. Zwar on Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:04 am 

Some years ago, I actually started a similar thread at .
One other composers that comes to mind because of this old thread is Philip Sainton, who scored John Huston's Moby Dick.

Last edited by Nicolai P. Zwar on Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next