[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm 

Do you know how I could contact the Goldsmith estate?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:14 pm 

I do not! However, in the future we would love to get in touch with Carol Goldsmith or any other surviving family members who have memories to share of Jerry or his work.

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am 

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... lar-part-1

Episode 12 is now up -- our most unusual one yet, Part 1/2 covering all the "wild" (not scoring to picture) cues we can find that Jerry Goldsmith wrote for CBS during his seven years under contract there. We finally tie a bow on the Prometheus album, Jerry Goldsmith: The Early Years Volume One here, as well as include three rare highlights of the remaining material unreleased on CD. These have been painstakingly pieced together from multiple sources (multiple TZ isolated score pieces, plus very rare TransWorld 78s) for the ultimate best version ever available to hear -- I can't wait to hear what you guys think of the super-cool City Mood and exciting action of Jailbreak!

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:46 am 

I forgot to give an update that Episode 13, Part 2 of our CBS Library Music Spectacular, was released!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... lar-part-2

But in more exciting news, I'm proud to announce the very first special interview episode of The Goldsmith Odyssey. Very happy how this turned out as it's the first real interview I've ever conducted, and we have a monumental guest for this new series: legendary American conductor Leonard Slatkin! If the Jerry Goldsmith connection isn't immediately apparent -- he originally commissioned Jerry's Music for Orchestra, and actually knew him since childhood, when his parents Felix and Eleanor Slatkin regularly worked with him in Hollywood. Give our conversation a listen; he's quite the entertaining storyteller!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... rd-slatkin

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:31 am 

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... f-eidelman

Conducting this interview was a complete delight, and I think my experience interviewing Leonard Slatkin enabled me to do a bit smoother job on this one. I was really touched by what my friend Jens wrote on Facebook, so I hope he won't mind if I share it here:
"Yavar interviewing Cliff Eidelman is my favorite episode of the The Goldsmith Odyssey to date. Eidelman’s ebullience and joie de vivre is infectious, and his admiration for Jerry Goldsmith is truly touching. This episode also led to me discovering some marvelous Eidelman compositions I was previously unaware of. Much fine music is discussed and played."

I hope you all enjoy it just as much...and yes we'll finally be back with a regular episode in a couple of weeks, covering Gunsmoke (we recorded just last night, in fact).

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 am 

I'd like to announce our return to the regular Goldsmith Odyssey with our latest episode, covering Jerry's first three (out of six total) scores for the long-running classic western series, Gunsmoke. And we have a truly special surprise, in that we are premiering these three complete Goldsmith western scores in very good-sounding MUSIC ONLY form for our listeners, thanks to collector Ron Burbella who had some of them on reel-to-reel tape he had acquired some time ago. These are incredibly varied works, with something for everyone -- don't miss your chance to hear what is effectively NEW Goldsmith!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/159614/85374 ... vuaFrcaIVM

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:26 am 

The Goldsmith Odyssey is taking a break for the holidays, but before we do, we're ending our first season on a high note: Jerry's sole feature film credit of 1960, Studs Lonigan. I think this may be our best episode yet! The film was a great deal of fun to discuss, in spite (or perhaps because) of its flaws. But the score is probably the most impressive work we've covered so far, and to our surprise we discovered that the existing albums for the score are not complete. Listen to our show to discover at least a couple of substantial unreleased cues...

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... nigan-1960

I'd love to hear folks' thoughts on this one!

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:37 pm 

The second season of The Goldsmith Odyssey opens with some great western scoring you may not be familiar with:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... -star-1960

Do check it out and let me know what you think. The cue Jerry wrote for Flaming Star (1960) in particular just keeps growing on me the more I hear it, and his score for "A Head of Hair" from Have Gun Will Travel I knew I loved, right as soon as I heard that fantastic main theme...

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:25 pm 

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... soner-1961

A combination interview of master reconstructionist Leigh Phillips (The Salamander on Tadlow Records, among many others), plus examination of "The Poisoner", Jerry's second work for Thriller and one of Leigh's personal favorites...this is one you can't miss, as it launches us into the Thrillerverse and makes some real surprise connections with important later Goldsmith scores such as The Blue Max and even Basic Instinct!

As always, I'd love to know what you all think!

Yavar

P.S. Before anyone asks, yes we know we didn't talk to Leigh about his fine work on Intrada's Damnation Alley...THIS time. We will definitely ask him about it when he joins us for another Thriller excursion in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:12 am 

We've had a bit of a hiatus, but I'm very proud to bump this thread for the latest Odyssey Interview I've conducted, this time a very extensive and varied conversation with composer/conductor David Newman, who also had the distinction of playing as a session violinist on multiple Goldsmith scores including Contract on Cherry Street and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which he gives an important behind-the-scenes view on here:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... vid-newman

Give it a listen and please feel free to share your thoughts!

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:33 am 

And hot on the heels of the Newman interview we are releasing another one I conducted shortly after, just in time to tie in with this Saturday evening's performance of Rudy in Concert in LA! Join me for my conversation with Justin Freer, founder of CineConcerts and a friend of Jerry's during the last couple years of his life. We do discuss some of his insights about the score to Rudy to be sure, but this wide-ranging conversation goes far beyond that, with lots of insightful Jerry tidbits! If you enjoyed the last conversation don't miss this one...
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... stin-freer

And as always, I welcome anyone to share their thoughts!

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 pm 

I should note for everyone that we just re-published an expanded edition of the Justin Freer interview, and added more original compositions of his to the conversation about them in the last 15 minutes of the podcast -- if you liked the bit of his music we included before, go check out these unreleased exclusive pieces -- one has an L.A. Confidential flavor to it!
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... stin-freer

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:01 pm 

The wait for the next regular episode of the Goldsmith Odyssey is finally over, with longtime friend of the show W. David Lichty taking over the reins from Jens as co-host and editor. We finally put a bow on the year 1960 with "The Cheaters," Jerry Goldsmith's very first work for Thriller. Moments of suspense, moments of horror, and moments of action await your discovery! And best of all: a gorgeous central character theme which gets some concentrated and fascinating development...paging Leigh Phillips -- this one needs a fresh new recording!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... aters-1960

Yavar

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm 

Just a heads up: Twilight Zone podcast #5 (on "Dust") is dropping in the next 24 hours -- we are being joined by another great guest host, journalist and liner note writer Tim Greiving! (https://timgreiving.com/). He actually joined us to cover "Dust" and "Back There" in the same recording session, but we decided to split it into two episodes.

But a podcast I'm on actually did already drop this morning: I joined Jeff Commings on his John Williams podcast The Baton to discuss my favorite Williams score of all time, Jane Eyre. It's his longest and most substantial episode yet (for Williams's most mature and substantial *score* yet), because I kept pushing him to include more stuff!

https://thebatonpodcast.podbean.com/e/e ... jane-eyre/

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 am 

Okay, here 'tis!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... -dust-1961

While not a score I found very immediately accessible when first listening to it on album, after studying it in context I think "Dust" is something of an underrated and brilliant piece of scoring. Very unique and overall unlike any other score I can think of. The episode itself really grew on me as well.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Yavar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next