[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: New podcast with yours truly: THE GOLDSMITH ODYSSEY
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 pm 

Well, here we are three weeks after the last Goldsmith Odyssey episode. It's that time again...time to go "Back There":
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... there-1961

This was a fun conclusion to our conversation with Tim Greiving. Looking forward to hearing anyone's thoughts, if they feel like sharing...

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 am 

I recently had a wonderful conversation with film music producer Robert Townson, largely focusing on his friendship and working relationship with Jerry Goldsmith. In fact it was such a good conversation and Bob was so generous with his time, that we spoke for over three hours! Here is the first installment, with the second and final part arriving in two weeks...
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... son-part-1

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:12 pm 

We decided to release the second part of my epic 3+ hour long conversation with Robert Townson earlier than originally planned, so everyone could hear it while the first part was fresher in their mind! If you enjoyed Part 1, you may enjoy Part 2 even more, with discussion of rejected scores (including the never-recorded Babe and the partially-rejected Love Field), "what if" scenarios, and how very early in his career Jerry Goldsmith already had a fully formed, mature voice as a composer. It's a fascinating conversation with a lot of insight and surprises. Give it a listen and please share your thoughts afterwards!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... son-part-2

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:49 am 

Our latest (and perhaps greatest) regular episode of The Goldsmith Odyssey has now arrived at last, two months after actually recording the conversation!

Oscar-nominated composer/conductor David Newman returns as special guest, and acclaimed author Jeff Bond joins us for the first time as co-host! I am exceptionally proud of the latest foray of The Goldsmith Odyssey, as it is probably our most epic and ambitious examination of Jerry Goldsmith’s work yet, for the monumental conclusion to his contribution to the original classic Twilight Zone, “The Invaders”.

In fact, calling this installment “regular” is fairly misleading, because, similarly to our first Thriller podcast with Leigh Phillips, we begin with a substantial hourlong conversation with Jeff and David, who a decade ago became the only other person in history to have conducted this complete iconic Goldsmith work, since Jerry’s original recording session back in 1961. (Jeff afterwards joins us for our usual cue-by-cue deep dive into the score.)

If you love Jerry Goldsmith, The Twilight Zone, or great conversations about film music, I don’t think it gets much better than this! I hope you will share your own thoughts, after listening.

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... aders-1961

Also, in case you missed it (because I was super busy when it was released and didn't get around to sharing it here, we also put out another Odyssey Interview of mine at the end of last month, with Jerry's longtime recording engineer, Mike Ross-Trevor, who worked with him from Legend through The Mummy:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... oss-trevor

Please share your thoughts here after listening, and join the conversation!

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am 

And hot off the editing presses, my latest conversation on Odyssey Interviews was with none other than Brian Tyler, who discusses a host of fascinating subjects including his relationship with Jerry Goldsmith, the behind-the-scenes of Timeline, re-arranging Jerry’s Universal Fanfare, and incorporating Jerry’s music into his own Rambo scores. We also discuss his early concert music before he came to Hollywood, and play two substantial samples of this work, including a piece that premiered in Boston and got him noticed by John Williams himself! Whether you're a Brian Tyler fan or not, I think you'll really enjoy this conversation...

I almost forgot! He also generously shared some exclusive tracks from Rambo: Last Blood with us — don’t miss your chance to preview his fine work before the film comes out next week!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... rian-tyler

Let me know what you think after listening. :)

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:44 pm 

I was on vacation in England so hope I'll be forgiven for the belated share (if anyone here cares, lol...)

Really enjoyed having a conversation with Peter Bernstein recently; this one is more of an Elmer Bernstein Odyssey Interview I suppose, though we do touch on Jerry briefly. (So nice to see a new Bernstein premiere from Intrada today!) I hope most people are fans of both, and those who don't know Elmer's music as well as they should will hopefully open up their ears to his brilliance a little...

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614

Yavar

P.S. Roger can we pretty pretty please have an expanded edition of the amazing Rough Riders score, especially since it was recorded in Seattle? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:31 pm 

It's been a little while, but we hope this almost three hour FEAST of a Goldsmith Odyssey episode will make up for the long wait. In our return to the popular Gunsmoke series, we take a look at one of the best episodes of television Jerry ever scored, as well as one of the best television scores he ever wrote (no, they are not one and the same title).

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... faces-1961

I would love for Intrada or some other label to release this wonderful Gunsmoke scores (as well as some by other composers), but until then this is the only place you can hear these scores music-only, thanks to the EZ Cue library and generous collector Ron Burbella at FSM. I look forward to hearing your thoughts if you're so inclined, after listening!

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:51 am 

In a truly nice bit of timing considering our recently having covered more of Jerry's fine Gunsmoke work on The Goldsmith Odyssey, my latest Odyssey interview is with someone rather popular around these parts: the great Bruce Broughton, who got his composing start at CBS television on that very show! His memories of his CBS years were a particular gift that kept on giving in this conversation, as he worked closely with a lot of people who knew Jerry from his time under contract there just over a decade earlier, and (before he even got to know Jerry better) he found his way into multiple recording sessions, such as Brotherhood of the Bell! Among a wide variety of subjects spanning the breadth of his entire Hollywood career through to The Orville, we also discuss the three (!) times he was asked to adapt a Goldsmith theme, his insights into incorporating unusual instruments with the typical symphony orchestra, and his experience in the world of concert music, with an exclusive clip of his upcoming Trombone Concerto, "Quaternity"!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... -broughton

I hope you all enjoy listening to the conversation as much as I enjoyed having it, and I hope you'll chime in with any thoughts should you feel so inclined.

Yavar

P.S. In addition to Bruce himself, I'd like to thank Doug and Roger here, and Randy Thornton their friend at Disney, for their kind assistance in facilitating the inclusion of a precious 30 seconds of the unreleased score to Soarin' Around the World, which was so helpful to illustrate Bruce's skillful putting Jerry's melody into new ethnically flavored musical settings. I think it was way back in a 2016 interview where Bruce originally revealed that Doug was working on a set of his Disney Parks compositions, so I'm sure everyone here will be pleased to know that work on that has not been abandoned, almost four years later. I for one am sure that whenever it comes out, it will be worth the wait!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:02 am 

We have a new regular episode (actually posted on December 30th, but I've been traveling so forgive me for the late update here). Jeff Bond returns as special guest host for our discussion of his favorite Goldsmith Thriller score, "Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook". Our great initial conversation about Goldsmith in this episode (before getting to Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook) makes this episode a particularly great jumping-off point for anyone curious to give our show a try for the first time:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... -hook-1961

I hope you all enjoy (if you don't know this score, you should -- it's superb), and let me know your thoughts after listening if you are so inclined. For anyone curious to experience "Hay-Fork and Bill-Hook" in context before listening to our episode (which does contain spoilers), here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5p8y5qV2iw

I recommend you try out the opening of that, at least, to get a flavor of the score. It's great stuff!

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 pm 

We are starting off 2020 with a special "throwback" episode, where Clark takes a break and Jens joins us in his place, to discuss the beautiful score Jerry wrote in 1958 for "Tongues of Angels", a live filmed play in the Studio One series -- here is the episode itself if you're inclined to watch it and appreciate Jerry's score in context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH92UQjCZ_4

Though it has been up on YouTube since before the podcast started, we only discovered recently in November that Jerry had composed the score for it. Our discussion (actually recorded in December 2019) is here:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... o-one-1958

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:15 pm 

The first Odyssey Interview of 2020 is here, and I would like to offer special thanks to guest editor Wes Deckers, who last year offered to help us out should we ever have a scheduling crunch...and he really came through with some fine work, here!

Join me for the first half of my conversation with Iranian film music scholar Nasrollah Davoodi, who gave a Jerry Goldsmith lecture in Tehran early last year... we cover a host of fascinating subjects:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... odi-part-1

And there will be even more to look forward to in Part 2 later this month, which will contain an examination of Jerry's work venturing into the "middle eastern" sound, as well as a crash course (with samples) in original Iranian film music, focusing on the eight most important Iranian film composers of the 20th century.

Hope you enjoy the conversation -- let me know what you think!

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 pm 

And here is the epic conclusion!

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... odi-part-2

Full disclosure: After the opening half hour about Jerry Goldsmith, the character of this installment is very different from the first half, and indeed different from any other Odyssey Interview so far. It is more of a full on film music radio show, with us largely opting to play full pieces for you all after Mr. Davoodi introduces them. I would call it a deep dive into Iranian art music...except it barely scratches the surface so despite the record length it's really more of a crash course. But it will give you a sense of the breadth of the nation's music – particularly film music – as eight preeminent composers who worked in film are introduced (nine if you count Andre Hossein, who was from Iran but primarily worked in France). If the only Persian film composer you knew was Ramin Djawadi, prepare to have your mind expanded! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the variety of beautiful sounds contained within, and you may discover some new composers to love in the process.

As my father emigrated from Iran, this episode is of particular personal importance to me. I hope everyone enjoys, and I very much look forward to hearing what people think.

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

...and it's time for another *regular* Goldsmith Odyssey episode, at long last:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... 4-episod...

I really enjoyed this conversation, and I think it's nice to offer folks an Odyssey episode that's only an hour and a half long, after that epic interview most recently! Interestingly, there are some musical links between this score and Take Her, She's Mine which Intrada just announced!

Thanks to FSM reader George Gallant for sharing this rare TV episode with us and my friend Brad Wills for helping re-create the GE Theater logo in high quality. And of course, W. David Lichty (aka Lorien) for his expert editing. This is a really good podcast, with our conversation at the end being one of my very favorites.

Yavar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3