[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Love Field/Jerry Goldsmith

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Love Field/Jerry Goldsmith
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 am 

I just finished revisiting this film, and I admit having completely forgotten what this film was about. The score is what I imagine Goldsmith would have written had he scored To Kill a Mocking Bird. It's full of tenderness, pain and human warmth. Something you don't hear much these days. Interestingly, I infer the film was partially rescored, as throughout the film there is a piano score that is clearly not Goldsmith. Turns out it was written by Bill Payne. Some very nice piano music, in fact. It was used over the end credits instead of what Goldsmith wrote. There's some pretty stuff there and I imagine if you were an average Joe picking up the soundtrack after seeing the film and not hearing Payne's work on the album you'd be mighty disappointed. Naturally the CD has a lot of the Goldsmith music cut from the film. There are some wonderful Goldsmith cues in the film not on the album. Given the album is only 29 minutes long...there was definitely room to include them, but probably another victim of AFM fees at the time. Not knowing how much music was recorded and not in the film or CD, it's hard to say how long the score really is. But an expanded edition would be great, including a separate section for the Payne score. Should all fit on one CD. I checked...it's still controlled by Varese. But everyone is clamoring for expanded issues of Air Force One, Small Soldiers, The Mummy, US Marshalls (as am I), but let's not forget this small gem. It's every much as worthy.

Post subject: Re: Love Field/Jerry Goldsmith
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Interestingly, of the scores you mention there, LOVE FIELD is the only one I do not have at all. An expanded release would be very welcome indeed.

I saw the movie back when it came out and remember I liked both the film and the score, but it's been a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 pm 
I could never get into this score much beyond the nice early Zimmer-isms for piano. For '90s Goldsmith dramatic scoring, Medicine Man and Rudy are my usual go-to albums.

That said, I would listen to Love Field a thousand times over before warmed-over action fare such as U.S. Marshals, Chain Reaction and Air Force One. I get the shi*s thinking about those. Small Soldiers, however, is pure goodness and should not be grouped together with those colostomy bags.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:15 pm 

I thought I'd replied to this post a long time ago (in more detailed fashion than I have time for now) but apparently not. THANKS for highlighting this largely-overlooked and substantially-rejected score, Roger. I would be all over an expansion.

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:23 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:19 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:14 am 

Even more intriguing, Doug. This is now one of my most-wanted Varese-controlled titles to get the Deluxe Edition treatment.

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:17 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:17 am 

In light of the recent developments with LLL managing to sub-license Jerry's two Planet of the Apes scores from Varese...

Any hope now of a definitive complete Love Field, with Jerry's rescores, unused cues, and the Bill Payne piano cues (which Bob Townson wanted to leave off but you want to include, Roger)?

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:01 am 

MAJOR UPDATE:

As Roger and Doug have noted in this very thread, we really have had no clue just how much unreleased music there was from this score, since large chunks of it went unused in the film (essentially making it a partially-rejected score, with another composer even coming in to write new cues for several sequences). We knew there were substantial cues in the film but not on the album, and substantial cues on the album but not in the film, and no idea how many cues might be neither in the film or on the album. Until now... it turns out that the complete written score (by Goldsmith that is, not the replacement composer Bill Payne) lies in the Academy library archives, and they now list all the contents (including official cue titles) on their website:
http://collections.new.oscars.org/Detai ... e/71302980

1-1 "Family Album (revised)," 2 pages
1-2 "The Posters," 2 pages
1-4/2-1 "The Assassination," 2 pages
2-3 "The Note (second revision)," 2 pages
3-1 "On the Bus (revision)," 2 pages
3-2/4-1 "You Win (second revision)," 2 pages
4-2 "The Accident," 4 pages
4-3 "First Words," 1 page
4-3a "The Photos," 2 pages
5-1 "Lost Luggage," 12 pages
6-1 "Repairs," 2 pages
7-1 "I Don't Mind," 1 page
7-3 "The Map," 1 page
8-1 "What's Going On?," 2 pages
8-2 "Roadside Incident," 4 pages
9-1 "The Visitors," 2 pages
9-3 "Pretending," 2 pages
10-1 "We're Not Alone (revised)," 3 pages
10-2 "Staying Behind," 2 pages
11-1/12-1 "The Motel," 10 pages
12-2 "The Locket," 2 pages
12-3 "Return Visit," 5 pages [photocopy only]

I have bolded cues that don't seem to be on the album (though perhaps the album's "Together Again" is a retitled "Return Visit"?)...it's also possible that some cues like the 12 page "Lost Luggage" might have been abbreviated for the album, and it also seems evident, with three cues marked "revised" and even two marked "second revision", that only the final written versions of these cues were saved in the Academy archive for this score. So if some label pursued a release, they might cover earlier (probably fairly different) recorded versions of these cues since Jerry was clearly trying to please the director, apparently unsuccessfully (seems almost as bad as Lonely Guy, but at least there Jerry was able to eventually get to a satisfactory final result without having his music replaced by another composer). With all of these cues, plus any surviving recorded alternates, plus everything written by Bill Payne that Roger says is "very nice piano music, in fact," I suspect a pretty full complete disc of music could be produced for this score. I wonder if it might be a possibility for Intrada, now that Varese is apparently willing to license perpetuity titles out to other labels (as they did with Jerry's two PotA scores for LLL's box set).

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:47 am 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:12 pm 

If it worked out successfully for PotA, I would hope Varese might be amenable to sublicensing other titles as well, with the understanding that they might ask a bit less for the license on things that are much lower profile than PotA. I mean, obviously if Varese has actual interest in expanding something themselves, go for it! But if it's a score they don't care much about expanding (a category which Love Field might likely fall into, and apparently the Flint scores and The Other fall into, or they would have done them years ago when Mike Mattesino restored the scores for the Twilight Time Blu-ray iso tracks) I just don't see why they wouldn't rather get *some* money for the title rather than doing nothing with it.

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:57 pm 

I can easily imagine Varese expanding Love Field if it is indeed still their property. Same for the two Flints and The Other if anything can be done there. Nothing obscure about any of those.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:13 pm 

That may be the case for Love Field, but as for the Flint scores and The Other, there’s also the Fox-Disney deal to take into account. And with Disney placing a moratorium on the licensing of Fox scores, it may be a while before we see expanded editions of those three scores.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:27 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next