Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Love Field/Jerry Goldsmith
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 am 

I just finished revisiting this film, and I admit having completely forgotten what this film was about. The score is what I imagine Goldsmith would have written had he scored To Kill a Mocking Bird. It's full of tenderness, pain and human warmth. Something you don't hear much these days. Interestingly, I infer the film was partially rescored, as throughout the film there is a piano score that is clearly not Goldsmith. Turns out it was written by Bill Payne. Some very nice piano music, in fact. It was used over the end credits instead of what Goldsmith wrote. There's some pretty stuff there and I imagine if you were an average Joe picking up the soundtrack after seeing the film and not hearing Payne's work on the album you'd be mighty disappointed. Naturally the CD has a lot of the Goldsmith music cut from the film. There are some wonderful Goldsmith cues in the film not on the album. Given the album is only 29 minutes long...there was definitely room to include them, but probably another victim of AFM fees at the time. Not knowing how much music was recorded and not in the film or CD, it's hard to say how long the score really is. But an expanded edition would be great, including a separate section for the Payne score. Should all fit on one CD. I checked...it's still controlled by Varese. But everyone is clamoring for expanded issues of Air Force One, Small Soldiers, The Mummy, US Marshalls (as am I), but let's not forget this small gem. It's every much as worthy.

Post subject: Re: Love Field/Jerry Goldsmith
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
Interestingly, of the scores you mention there, LOVE FIELD is the only one I do not have at all. An expanded release would be very welcome indeed.

I saw the movie back when it came out and remember I liked both the film and the score, but it's been a long time.

Post subject: Re: Love Field/Jerry Goldsmith
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 pm 

I could never get into this score much beyond the nice early Zimmer-isms for piano. For '90s Goldsmith dramatic scoring, Medicine Man and Rudy are my usual go-to albums.

That said, I would listen to Love Field a thousand times over before warmed-over action fare such as U.S. Marshals, Chain Reaction and Air Force One. I get the shi*s thinking about those. Small Soldiers, however, is pure goodness and should not be grouped together with those colostomy bags.