[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Alan Silvestri's WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Alan Silvestri's WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 pm 

INTRADA Presents:

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT
Composed and Conducted by ALAN SILVESTRI
INTRADA Special Collection 397

In 1988, Touchstone Pictures and Amblin Entertainment released Who Framed Roger Rabbit, a technological marvel integrating animation and live action. To score the onscreen antics of the wacky Roger Rabbit and his sourpuss human detective-for-hire Eddie Valiant, director Robert Zemeckis called in his trusted composer, Alan Silvestri. The pair first worked together on Romancing the Stone and the following year's mega-hit, Back to the Future. Having also scored the aggressive action film Predator just the year prior, Silvestri was a brand name and brought a diverse set of styles to the colorful, kinetic onscreen action. Starting with a cool jazz styling in the previously unreleased Main TItle, Silvestri sets the tone for the film, then immediately diverts to a cartoon shooting in progress. A colorful and wild orchestra follows the crazy happenings in the cartoon world until production is interrupted. As the story unfolds, private dick Eddie Valiant is introduced as well as his cool and somewhat nostalgic, bluesy theme. The challenge was for Silvestri to write a score that was jazzy noir, action, with generous doses of Carl Stalling. The result is a swirling mix of styles that come together into a unified whole that captures the world of Roger Rabbit, 1940s Hollywood, and the under- and over-belly of the Toon World.

To present this expanded edition, including a wealth of music not used in the final cut of the film, Intrada assembled Dennis Sand's original mixes into a program running 98 minutes. In addition, some alternate takes are provided in the Extras section as well as the three Roger Rabbit shorts released in subsequent years:

Tummy Trouble, composed and conducted by James Horner
Rollercoaster Rabbit and Trail Mix-Up composed and conducted by Bruce Broughton

To round out this 3-CD set, the final disc contains the original album presentation featuring Silvestri's unique edits and assemblies including some dialog omitted from the complete presentation on the first two discs.

In the film, Bob Hoskins plays Eddie Valiant, a bitter, boozy detective who watched his brother die at the white-gloved hands of a crazed Toon. In a riff on Chinatown and other classic noir films, Roger’s ’40s-era Los Angeles is populated with trolleys, old-school movie moguls...and living cartoon characters. Eddie gets pulled into a case involving the death of Toontown’s owner, Marvin Acme, which is pinned on the rascally Roger Rabbit. The gumshoe must confront his own demons and prejudices, and ultimately the maleficent Judge Doom (Christopher Lloyd), who wants to exterminate all toons in his quest to pave California over with freeways.

INTRADA Special Collection 397
Barcode: 7 20258 53970 0
Retail Price: $34.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11361/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Alan Silvestri's WHO FRAMED ROGER RABB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:25 pm 
Expensive, but couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm 

Intrada does it again!

This is more than I would have expected. Almost 100 minutes of score? A lot of it unused? A lot of it heard full length for the first time? The Hungarian Rhapsody clean? What looks like Valiant and Valiant without that crossfade at the end I've detested for decades?

Incredible. Thank you so much guys. You're wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 pm 

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm 

Egads, I, shockingly, guessed this one early, but reading the mouth watering description....you guys went above n beyond! I hope you got a free day off or a Hershey bar, Roger.
I've always felt this IS a masterpiece as well, so much to this score - I hope it gets the attention it deserves. He ll, Everything has a theme here....and good ones, too! Cartoon bullets with ONE scene get a theme! Animated dancing shoes even get a little signature. And their only incolved for 33 seconds!! Ah, the good old days....
Many many thanks for your hard work Intrada crew.
-Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 pm 

YYYYEEEESSSS!!! The one I've been waiting for!

Thank you Intrada! Already ordered! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 pm 

I CALLED IT!!! ^_^ I cannot believe it, AT LONG LAST, one of my most wanted scores is finally given the Intrada treatment! Thank you everyone at Intrada for this! ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:03 am 

Having been lucky enough to listen to the recording sessions, I noticed there was a 30 sec that was supposed to be heard instead of the jazz intro that ended up in the film. Doug or Roger, do you know if we can find it anywhere in this gorgeous set ? P-p-p-pleeeease ?? :)
There also was a good amount of unused moments or cues. I noticed that "Shoes on the Loose" was included, a scene that was completely silenced in the film, to make it more horrible to see a cartoon shoe dying in the dip. You cleverly put some stars on those numerous tracks ("I can give you stars, just drop the refrigerator on my head one more time! :D), that's a great thing you managed to reconstruct the music as it was first intended ! Thank you !
You also included the "Roger Fanfare" cue that I loved so much in the movie. It was the moment when Roger is getting so excited to go to help his friends when he enters the Acme's gag factory that his theme is reprised as a rousing fanfare that is just a splendid example of how Alan Silvestri is able to manipulate a (originally goofy/cartoony) theme to make it sound completely heroic inside the real world.

Great thing to have included the Horner/Broughton cues as well.
What a cooooool release !

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:48 am 

Two releases in and 2018 is shaping up very nicely.
You mention you gave this one the royal treatment, when actually you guys / gals are more like gods.
Thank you to everyone at Intrada & at Touchstone / Disney for allowing Roger to bring home Roger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 am 

Almost 5,5 years ago ...
5,5 YEARS AGO !!! I contacted Roger with question about complete RR + animated shorts.
And now we finally get it.
Another Holy Grail is removed from my wish-list.

For the last 2-3 years I always waiting for sales (damn crises & high shipping costs!). But I always made exceptions for special titles (Great Race, Die Another Day from 2017).
This one will be another exception - I only can wait until Thursday (my payment day) - this is the title, which I'll never save for later! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:01 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:28 am 
I received and listened to this album and... uh oh!

Nah, this is one '80s expansion that should be safe from disgruntled collectors on other forums, but you never know. Now I just have to excise cues for a much leaner and meaner presentation. With these expansions there is often such a concept as "too much of a good thing" when it comes to affecting time management.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 am 

Also listened to the release and enjoyed it immensely. :D

I have to say Silvestri did a bang-up job selecting highlights for the soundtrack album. The full score is wonderful with lots of gaps filled in and new gems sprinkled throughout, but the best material is definitely what we've already had all these years.

It's also wonderful finally having Tummy Trouble. I've always missed that not being on the promo. And I like the decision to sequence it last even though it was the first short released.

Thanks again Intrada!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:59 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:13 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next