Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jerry Goldsmith's Most Undervalued Year
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 am 
1975. The Wind and the Lion, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, Breakheart Pass, Take a Hard Ride, A Girl Named Sooner and Babe; all scores are culminations for their respective genres.

And he still had time to have a snack.

Post subject: Re: Jerry Goldsmith's Most Undervalued Year
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm 

That was a good year, without a doubt. I think 1966 is maybe a bit more undervalued.

Sure, people value The Blue Max, The Sand Pebbles, and to a lesser extent Stagecoach and The Trouble With Angels. But I think Our Man Flint is pretty underrated (people seem to prefer the sequel score, which is inexplicable to me) and I think Seconds is one of his absolute greatest but more overlooked works.

But as for *most* undervalued...realistically it's probably 1972 because so little has been released from it:
I've done complete score breakdowns for his scores to Crawlspace, The Man, and Pursuit from that year so I am very familiar with how excellent they are, but they are likely lost to time and will never be heard on their own on album:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7213
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6967
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7236

His gorgeous work for The Other is his only film score released from that year, and that as a frustrating truncated suite (the Twilight Time isolated score track reveals the expanded score in a much better light but still preserves the film's edits of the music and so still isn't even complete).

Finally there is his lovely work on the main theme and at least three episodes of the short-lived Anna and the King TV series for Fox...between those three episodes Varese only released 15 minutes of music on their limited and OOP Jerry at Fox set. So yeah, probably pretty undervalued by film music fans in general.

And even I am totally unfamiliar with Lights Out and The Culpepper Cattle Co. -- is anyone else familiar? Did he write any good original music for these films?

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:10 pm 

I was under the impression that The Culpepper Cattle Co. used tracked music... no original GOLDSMITH score!

Last edited by Terry Cloth on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:58 pm 

Yeah, that was hanging around in the back of my head, I think...what about Lights Out? Also his music being reused or did he actually compose original music?

Yavar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:28 pm 
The reason I chose his 1975 works is that while some of the scores received accolades in their day, the six I mentioned are all what I consider masterful yet they hardly ever get mentioned anymore as many people greatly favor the likes of Omen, Poltergeist, Alien, Blue Max and dozens of others.

Goldsmith put out some very interesting music in '72, though when actually watching the content I sometimes get a sense of what he said in an interview about how he would score some TV projects without even seeing them. In other words, some of the music seems to take on a "one size fits all" type of approach.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]