[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Holy Grail Make Your Own Cover Thread

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Make Your Own Cover Thread
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:38 pm 

Beautifully nostalgic, the music composed by Henry Mancini for Robert Ellis Miller's THE GIRL FROM PETROVKA is the one and only among Mancini output not yet released from the first half of the 70's. Romantic melodies with a Russian flavour (oh, those balalaikas!) for every Mancini fan. You can't miss it. Would anyone dig in Universal Pictures vaults in search of this forgotten gem? :D

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:55 am 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 am 

That wonderful cover art submitted by Ed Kattak would be perfect for SWEET LIBERTY, which is also one of my absolute Holy Grails. Broughton is not new to Intrada, so releasing this title could be possible... :D

And now a new addition from my personal (and endless) Holy Grails list. This time presenting two versions of the cover for the amazing music of DEAD CALM, the intense Australian thriller directed by Phillip Noyce in 1989. If I'm not mistaken, this was the first score composed by Graeme Revell for a long feature... And what a score! :shock:

And the flip cover:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:00 am 

SWEET LIBERTY is very short in the movie. I clocked, maybe, about 10 minutes of music. That's why it would have to be paired with something else. I couldn't think of anything better than the other ALAN ALDA film in which he scored, BETSY'S WEDDING. Again, I don't know how much actual music was recorded for BETSY'S WEDDING, so maybe this would turn out to be a short CD. Nothing says it couldn't be a digital download only, if need be.

I understand that Mr. Broughton may not have liked the end result of SWEET LIBERTY - and it is understandable considering the amount of music and nature of its use (mainly variations on the theme). But it is undeniable that he wrote one of the most wonderful and infectious themes coming out of that era. I was in college at the time and actually saw this film on the big screen. The theme has stuck with me ever since. In the case of BETSY'S WEDDING, I have the 1 cue that was including on the DOUBLE FEATURE 2-disc promo that came out nearly 20 years ago. Again, I don't know exactly how much is there in total. All I know is that SWEET LIBERTY is from Universal and BETSY'S WEDDING was released by Touchstone (Disney). Is it possible? I'm sure if it were immediately possible, we'd seen it already. Anyway, count me in as a fan and it would by such a release in heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:59 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:02 am 

The late Johnny Mandel composed in 1982 this wonderful score of baroque music (arranged for modern sensibilities) for Sidney Lumet's murder-comedy DEATHTRAP. Lots of harpsichord setting the pace and brilliant Malcolm McNab as trumpet soloist make the music of this Warner production a beautiful object of desire for every soundtrack collector. The main cover with the famous Rubick's cube poster art is accompained by a flip cover with a less known illustration.

And the flip cover:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:09 pm 

Cross My Heart is a wonderful cover, but the both DEATHTRAP covers are great! DEATHTRAP is another movie that I probably shouldn't have seen on the big screen in 1982(?), but I went, I saw, and like it - even at 15 years old!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:06 am 

Who doesn't remember those glorious days (late 70's, early 80's) when a small independent label called Varèse Sarabande released, one after another, the rarest (but brilliant) scores for the rarest (now classic) horror movies of the time? Each of them highlighted by evocative album covers printed in hard (and sometimes textured) cardboard, containing black vinyl records. From that period was the only score by Arlon Ober released on any format: EATING RAOUL, the 1982 cult classic directed by Paul Bartel. I've always had an interest for this composer, whose BLOODY BIRTHDAY and X-RAY (aka HOSPITAL MASSACRE) scores, both from 1981, would have been two highly collectible albums for the Varèse catalogue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:20 am 

I saw this on Ebay listing I hope no one minds, but I do like the cover of the 3 main characters. Sorry my computer won't let me post the actual picture. :oops:

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:49 am 

One of the rare infidelities of Blake Edwards to Henry Mancini was THE TAMARIND SEED (1974). John Barry composed the movie's gorgeous score. Other of his famous infidelities were with Jerry Goldsmith in 1971 for WILD ROVERS and Lee Holdridge in 1984 for MICKI & MAUDE (the cover for this one is in progress). No doubt Mr. Edwards had an exquisite musical taste.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:30 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:02 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 am 

There are still some great Lalo Schifrin titles waiting to be released on CD. One of them is the little-known RAGE, a dramatic thriller directed by George C. Scott in 1972. Schifrin's own label, Aleph Records, released a 4-disc set in 2012 containing one theme from this obscure and violent film. Here are a couple of different layouts for a hypothetical CD release. The official and most expressionist, and the flip cover using original art by brilliant George Akimoto. I hope you like them both :D

And the flip cover:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:59 am 

Another Schifrin rarity that could be released on CD, FAST-WALKING was an adult prison movie directed by James B. Harris in 1982 for Lorimar productions. Legendary Israel Baker on violin and wonderful harmonica player Tommy Morgan added color as soloists. Sadly, only one track of this score is available in any format, once again included in Aleph's four-disc set "Lalo Schifrin: My Life In Music". The art used for this cover was painted by Spanish cartelist Jano, who took the American poster as a model.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:12 am 

Another title from the 4-disc collection 'Lalo Schifrin: My Life In Music', deserving an expansion (only 7 minutes were included in that set). Subtle and sparse score by Lalo Schifrin for one of Don Siegel's best films: THE BEGUILED (1971).
Three covers for this one. The first, based on the original American poster art, and the other two based on French posters. What's your favorite? :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next