Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnum, P.I. Needs an Album Release Now
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:07 pm 

For a few reasons, it seems that reboots mark a death knell for original series scores to get a release within a reasonable amount of time. One such silly reason is that studios don't want to create confusion in what is marketed.

Well, Magnum, P.I. is getting a reboot. Now is the time to get a few discs worth of the original series' material out before the new series mucks it all up.

Post subject: Re: Magnum, P.I. Needs an Album Release Now
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:19 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
For a few reasons, it seems that reboots mark a death knell for original series scores to get a release within a reasonable amount of time. One such silly reason is that studios don't want to create confusion in what is marketed.

Well, Magnum, P.I. is getting a reboot. Now is the time to get a few discs worth of the original series' material out before the new series mucks it all up.

This probably falls under the category of 'so expensive to release it hurts' like many other TV shows.

I really wish this surge of 21st century remakes would stop. I can't think of any of them that are better than the original. Perhaps Battlestar Galactica.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:54 am 

litefoot wrote:
This probably falls under the category of 'so expensive to release it hurts' like many other TV shows.

I really wish this surge of 21st century remakes would stop. I can't think of any of them that are better than the original. Perhaps Battlestar Galactica.

Would a 3-disc set of Magnum, P.I. cost more than, say, LLL's 3-disc set of Wonder Woman or their 4-CD set of Wild Wild West? That's a serious question, because I have no idea as to what the answer is. What I do know is that Magnum, P.I. will be forever popular with my generation and the generation before me, as indicated by this reboot. Presumably, all it takes is a sale of about a couple thousand units to be profitable.

Picking cues would be easy, so easy that even a "dart board" approach should suffice. To be honest, this and The A-Team should have been released around the time the Amazing Stories sets were produced. It would have provided a much more secured retirement for the hamsters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 am 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
litefoot wrote:

Would a 3-disc set of Magnum, P.I. cost more than, say, LLL's 3-disc set of Wonder Woman or their 4-CD set of Wild Wild West? That's a serious question, because I have no idea as to what the answer is. What I do know is that Magnum, P.I. will be forever popular with my generation and the generation before me, as indicated by this reboot. Presumably, all it takes is a sale of about a couple thousand units to be profitable.

Picking cues would be easy, so easy that even a "dart board" approach should suffice. To be honest, this and The A-Team should have been released around the time the Amazing Stories sets were produced. It would have provided a much more secured retirement for the hamsters.
Honestly I didn't know about a Magnum P.I. reboot but I have to agree with you guys regarding a new rebooted score not living up to the original. I know there are brick walls / a long waiting game when it comes to scores like this & The A-team but now is the time to celebrate the awesome works of Mike Post & Pete Carpenter before its seriously too late. I love the box sets that LLL & Intrada put out and I'm sure these will do very well if released.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 pm 

We really need to see the original HAWAII FIVE-O scores released before a MAGNUM CD...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm 

MRAUDIO wrote:
We really need to see the original HAWAII FIVE-O scores released before a MAGNUM CD...

Well, we know that Hawaii Five-0 ain't happening anytime soon, so there's no point in delaying Magnum just to first release an album of scores mired by litigation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:57 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
MRAUDIO wrote:

Well, we know that Hawaii Five-0 ain't happening anytime soon, so there's no point in delaying Magnum just to first release an album of scores mired by litigation.

Do we know it's not happening anytime soon? I've not seen this discussed anywhere, short of Lukas saying he couldn't get CBS to license the music in 2010. I had a look online to see if I could find any info - even a small news article - but found nothing.

As regards Magnum PI, for all we know it could be just around the corner. OK, just kidding, but we don't know for sure.

I recall Roger mentioned earlier this year that he had a 4-CD set and two 3-CD sets in for approval. Hopefully TV projects, as they very rarely do film releases with that many discs. One of the 3-CD sets must have been Shogun, so what are the other two? I'd certainly be in for Knight Rider, A-Team and many other scores from that period. A nice juicy classic TV set!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:37 pm 

litefoot wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:
MRAUDIO wrote:

Do we know it's not happening anytime soon? I've not seen this discussed anywhere, short of Lukas saying he couldn't get CBS to license the music in 2010. I had a look online to see if I could find any info - even a small news article - but found nothing.

As regards Magnum PI, for all we know it could be just around the corner. OK, just kidding, but we don't know for sure.

I recall Roger mentioned earlier this year that he had a 4-CD set and two 3-CD sets in for approval. Hopefully TV projects, as they very rarely do film releases with that many discs. One of the 3-CD sets must have been Shogun, so what are the other two? I'd certainly be in for Knight Rider, A-Team and many other scores from that period. A nice juicy classic TV set!

There's an ongoing lawsuit filed by the Stevens estate over rights to his main theme as used for the current series. Jon Burlingame stated that this will put off any possibility of an album for a very long time. Yet another example of a reboot destroying the chances of a prompt album for the original.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of those remaining sets is Scarecrow and Mrs. King, a favorite of Roger's. From what little I've heard, it would be an immediate buy for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:33 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:

I really, desperately hope the DuckTales reboot hasn't mucked up the original series's chances of getting its score released.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:42 am 

kenisu3000 wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

I really, desperately hope the DuckTales reboot hasn't mucked up the original series's chances of getting its score released.

The X-Men, Beverly Hills Cop and Ghostbusters franchises have certainly affected LLL's plans to release scores from those series and caused huge delays.

Having said that, Disney was not involved in those productions so I don't know if they'd take the same tack.