Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herrmann/Hitchcock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am 

I know this is a subject much bandied about, but one thing we've discussed around here is rerecording THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. No, it's not going to happen any time soon. It's an interesting score, what with a stunning prelude, but more subdued in many other sections. The master tapes appear to be missing. But while searching for parts recently to see if rerecording would be straightforward (no, still not scheduled, just some preliminary research I guess you could simply attribute to curiosity for when that day came), we did stumble upon something relatively intriguing. It was a manuscript labeled "pajaros" which took me a few minutes to dust off my defunct Spanish skills to translate to "Birds." Birds? The film everyone always jokes about a soundtrack release, when all the film has in the way of music is the sound of school kids singing in the classroom, heard from the street? Where Herrmann's involvement was limited to the bird sound effects? After flipping through the pages, it appears Herrmann had composed a handful of cues for The Birds. While it's hard to gauge length from paper alone, we're guessing somewhere around 25 minutes, including a Prelude and End Cast. Orchestration seems heavily dominated in the woodwinds, particularly doubled flutes and piccolos. No brass instruments in the orchestration, but augmented violas in the string section. I suppose at some point the decision was made to tacet all instruments! But you'll never get to hear this because we can't record what actually does not exist. Welcome to April everyone!

Post subject: Re: Herrmann/Hitchcock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:53 am 

Good one, Roger!

Yavar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]