[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Alex North's CHEYENNE AUTUMN

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Alex North's CHEYENNE AUTUMN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

CHEYENNE AUTUMN
Composed and Conducted by ALEX NORTH
INTRADA Special Collection 362

The epic scale and musical vocabulary of Alex North's score to the 1964 Warner Bros. film Cheyenne Autumn places it alongside Spartacus and Cleopatra as three lengthy and complicated works that form something of an unofficial trilogy, unique among all of the composer’s other remarkable output. North chose to emphasize emotion over setting and dialogue, electing to write in an idiom that was far removed from what audiences of the time expected from a western.

North's score surges with dissonance; it is painted in unorthodox colors— omitting violins and violas, leaving only cellos and basses. The cellos often cover territory normally played by violas, resulting in aggressive, tense qualities in the higher range and dense, thick sounds in the lower register. The absence of upper strings heightens the effect and is a dramatic color North also employed in portions of Spartacus. The flute section alone included piccolo and C flute as well as alto flute and bass flute. Double reeds included multiple parts for oboe, English horn, bassoon and contrabassoon. Other expansions included a large brass section, sometimes utilizing no fewer than six French horns, four trumpets and four trombones plus tuba, with players both open and muted. The percussion requirements covered the full range of snare drums, tenor drums, bass drums, log drums of numerous sizes, a large timpani section, wooden, metallic xylophones and all manner of beaters and shakers.

To present all the music recorded under North’s supervision, Intrada was given access to the entire Warner Bros. scoring session elements, newly transferred across some two dozen reels of film. Every reel survived in pristine condition, including all of the original score as well as the folk tune arrangements made specifically for the lengthy Dodge City sequence that originally brought Act I of the film to a conclusion. These elements also yielded “Overture” and “Entr’acte” cues as well as a brief fanfare recorded for the intermission card and a more deliberate one for use as a possible exit cue. The scoring sessions were captured on six-channel magnetic film with an additional six channels containing overlays of harp glissandi, xylophone hits, triangle and other colors that would be synchronized with the other six channels during postproduction mixing.

It is not just the music of Cheyenne Autumn that attempted to break the mold of traditional western filmmaking…

Intending to tell the story of the heroic, 1500-mile trek of 286 dispossessed Cheyenne Indians from a reservation in Oklahoma to their ancestral lands in the Dakotas during 1878–79, director John Ford noted, “I’ve killed more Indians than anyone since Custer.” This time he wanted to make a film from the Native American perspective. “This is their side,” he said. He wanted to portray the Cheyenne neither as heavies nor as ignorant, misguided savages. If there was to be a heavy, it would be the distant United States government, a government blind to the Indians’ plight. Indeed, U.S. troops and their leaders are variously depicted in the film as conflicted, maniacal or inept as they pursue the hapless Indians.

INTRADA Special Collection 362
Retail Price: $29.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10543/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Alex North's CHEYENNE AUTUMN
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:25 pm 

Gotta love all those auxiliary instruments...

Just to be sure -- entire release, including all source music, is stereo, yes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:37 pm 

An astoundingly brilliant score from the resplendent Alex North. I really look forward to capturing this Two CD set, and plan on spending many hours listening. Another masterful stroke from Doug Fake and company!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:14 pm 

Wow...just wow! This has got to be one of the few times where I am instantly sold on this release just from the cover alone. But after listening to the samples, I am even more intrigued by it. I will definitely snag a copy when I get the funds for it (which will be sooner than later, I hope). Doug, you and everyone at Intrada have done a justifiable service to another golden-age score release, you all deserve a pat on the back and free drinks. Awesome job! ^^

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:34 pm 

Fantastic! Keep the western scores coming, will order soon.

* Would love to see Alfred Newman's "Nevada Smith" released in a 2cd set if possible?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:30 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:25 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:35 pm 

Some VERY tempting new music in the sound samples!

My birthday is next week, so maybe I'll buzz over to the (lavish :) ) Intrada offices to buy mine in person, so I won't procrastinate, then have to wait an additional 8-10 years like I did for CAPRICORN ONE to reappear.

"Ask [the director] where the camera comes from and I'll tell him where the music comes from" (David Raksin)

Last edited by davidinberkeley on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:40 pm 

"Ask [the director] where the camera comes from and I'll tell him where the music comes from" (David Raksin)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:25 pm 

Thank you, Doug, for pursuing this passion project. The sound is sumptious and it's wonderful to hear this epic score in all it's complete glory. Like many of North's scores, this is one that one will get in the mood for and then listen to straight through just to appreciate it's magnificent architecture and the marvellous dark textures of the piece.

Like DRAGONSLAYER, it's challenging but yields up a bounty of enjoyment to the discerning listener. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:22 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:34 pm 

Mine arrived today, I can't wait to give it a serious listen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:13 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:10 pm 

I tend to listen to this one twice through each time. Lately I'm on something of a John Ford kick and while the movie this goes with is not one of my favorites, North's music is right up there. Thanks for making this happen! :)

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next