[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Possible Future Recordings

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

What score would you like to get a brand new recording?
Jungle Book 18%  18%  [ 68 ]
Suspicion 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
The Man Who Knew Too Much 14%  14%  [ 54 ]
Face of a Fugitive/Black Patch 20%  20%  [ 76 ]
Strangers on a Train 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
The Haunting 12%  12%  [ 43 ]
Joan of Arc 13%  13%  [ 47 ]
Brute Force 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 373
 Post subject: Possible Future Recordings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 am 

Not that we're going to dive right into another Kickstarter right away (especially since I want to see how the costs actually come out compared to the budget), but thought I would get a preliminary sense of popularity on a few titles. You can vote for up to three. This is just to get an early pulse. Don't be offended if ultimately we don't chose the most popular title, as there are a lot of factors that go into what to record that goes beyond the most popular. I would love to do Jungle Book, but it's big with chorus and could easily cost $20K more than the more straight forward Dial M...making it possibly harder to raise the funds for, even if more popular. Not that that wouldn't stop us from trying necessarily. . Feel free to write in any suggestions in the thread itself, we'll watch and ponder. We aren't considering titles that elements exist or have good enough releases out already (sorry...no Lionheart). In the meantime, we have work to do to get Dial M going.

Post subject: Re: Possible Future Recordings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 am 

As much as I love the restored and remastered versions of the OSTs of Herrmann’s ‘Journey to the Centre of the Earth’ and ‘Beneath the 12 Mile Reef’ I’ve always hoped for re-recordings of them in modern sound to really revel in the orchestrations of each. The Herrmann conducted ‘Phase IV’ suites of each sound amazing but I’d love to get the complete scores some day. Similarly I adore the Intrada release of Rozsa’s ‘The Golden Voyage of Sinbad’ but I’d love a re-recording of that for the same reasons and also because I believe Rozsa was unhappy with the original recording.

I understand people’s desire to only record things which have not yet been represented on disc but these are the three potential projects about which I’d be most excited and keen to contribute towards. Thanks again for the ‘Dial M for Murder’ campaign, can’t wait to hear it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am 

I can only encourage everybody to watch "Face of a Fugitive". Thev only way to date to enjoy this outstanding (!!!) early Goldsmith score.

It's scored for a modest orchestra and the scores reportedly surviived. So this should not that expensive to re-record. And a double-header with "Black Patch" would be the icing on the cake!

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 am 

Thanks chriss -- I'm right there with you!

And I'll add that if people want to familiarize themselves with those scores, we've covered both already on The Goldsmith Odyssey (Black Patch a little less in depth since it was our first regular episode, and we were still figuring out our format) with a whole bunch of sound clips:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... ccata-1958

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/ ... patch-1957

But I can make my best argument for Black Patch in just 5 minutes...listen to this fantastic sequence FSM user zooba pulled from the film audio (minimal dialogue/effects) -- just a GORGEOUS long-lined theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo4jD5xF3YA&t=1s

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am 

I would love to see any Alfred Hitchcock film scores for which the master tapes have been either lost or damaged be reconstructed and recorded. "Dial M" is a great start... "Stage Fright" would make all my dreams com true!!! Even some of his old British films like the original "Man Who Knew Too Much", "The 39 Steps" and "The Lady Vanishes" would be fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:03 am 

Come to think of it...how cool would it be to pair BOTH complete Man Who Knew Too Much scores (the Benjamin and the Herrmann) together, with the Storm Clouds Cantata by Benjamin the common link between the two?

But Roger, is this definite confirmation that Universal actually has no surviving elements for the original recording of the Herrmann score? I must say I'm disappointed as we know Marnie and others survive, and Intrada has been releasing Universal scores for some time...

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 am 

At the risk of sounding dense, I assume that THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH would be the Herrmann score from 1956? That would be my top want from the list provided above.

My own personal choice would be Herrmann's ENDLESS NIGHT, which is virtually the only Herrmann film score to have never been anthologized on vinyl or CD in any form.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:46 am 

"The Man Who Knew Too Much" is really lost? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am 

Love to see that Goldsmith twofer included here.

One that comes to mind that's not here is NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:53 am 

I'm definitely for JUNGLE BOOK, first and foremost. It's THE score that first got me into film music! There's so much more to it than can be heard in the popular concert suite, and the surviving archival tracks are so very compromised. One thing I haven't done is attempt a serious comparison of the orchestrations between the suite and the film versions of cues, but it seems possible that having the former would make reconstructing the latter significantly easier than doing it by ear alone, and perhaps that would be a time/money saver. Anyway, it certainly gets my vote!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:09 am 

Jungle Book. Rozsa seems to sell, so....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:33 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm 

I posted these over on the FSM forum, but I'll post these clips of Friedhofer's score for Joan of Arc here again so people can get a taste of the score:

The Overture (Gothic Prelude):
https://hugofriedhofer.dudaone.com/gothic-prelude

A three-and-a-half minute sample of the main title as heard in the uncut version of the film can be found in the link below:
https://filmscoreclicktrack.com/9-oscar ... discovery/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:12 pm 

Not in the poll, I'd also be very interested in Night of the Hunter, The Four Feathers, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, and The Lady Vanishes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm 

Yes to all of those for me too...especially the first two!

Yavar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next