Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quartet have a stab at Barry's White Buffalo!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:38 am 

Many people who bought the last release of John Barry's White Buffalo weren't too thrilled with the sound.. Quartet have just announced they're releasing it again, using a different mono stem from the previous release, and the skills of Chris Malone.

Doug's take on the last album:

Douglass Fake wrote:
MWRuger wrote:
What was wrong with the Prometheus release of Whit Buffalo (other than the art which didn't look to good to me)?

It seemed to include heavily processed music & effects sources with some bleed through of the sound effects as well as fades and edits that reflected the film needs rather than the recording sessions themselves. Perhaps it was the best that could be made available, but I wasn't thrilled that these anomalies were never disclosed anywhere on the album itself. A little bit of a "buyer beware" thing, I guess. But that's just an opinion. Having a rare John Barry score on a CD in any manner should still be a treat.
--Doug

The blurb says:

"Prometheus Records released Barry’s soundtrack for The White Buffalo—taken from the mono music stem (the only available source since the original recording sessions have been either lost or destroyed)—almost fifteen years ago. For this new release, we have transferred a different mono stem—one that is in much better shape and which includes some brief passages from one reel not included on the Prometheus. Also, all dialog bleed has been successfully removed. The Shire score (also in mono—as it was recorded) comes from a personal copy generously provided by the composer.

Thoroughly restored and expertly mastered by wizard engineer Chris Malone, the John Barry score returns in much improved and complete form, while David Shire’s music can finally be heard—at last! The liner notes by film music journalist Tim Greiving include quotes from a new interview with Mr. Shire."

Sounds like this will be an improvement - plaudits to Quartet if so. We shall see!

Post subject: Re: Quartet have a stab at Barry's White Buffalo!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:42 am 

Not a very interesting score for an album, in my somewhat humble opinion. Another stem source, albeit better than before, makes matters much worse. However, I just might be swayed by the Shire offering.