[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's WARLOCK

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's WARLOCK
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

WARLOCK
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 310

Jerry Goldsmith’s score to the 1989 New World film Warlock combines his developing fascination with electronics with trademarks from earlier eras in his career. Goldsmith wrote for a sizable but judiciously utilized group of 70–80 players of the Victorian Philharmonic Orchestra in Australia. Both his complex, agitated string writing and rattling percussion recall earlier scores like The Mephisto Waltz and Planet of the Apes. The film’s main title presents the score’s three key elements. A dry, primitive-sounding utterance of Goldsmith’s theme for the warlock opens the score, played by synthesizer, but with a sound not unlike the medieval instrument the serpent. His hymn-like theme for the character Redferne, also initially voiced by synthesizer, follows the warlock theme; and finally a repeating, percussive motif that will permeate the rest of the score is introduced, played by xylophone and other percussion—a signal for the presence and evil intentions of the warlock.

Goldsmith was not enthusiastic about the mixes made in Australia. At the time when Intrada prepared the original release back in 1989, rather than remix everything, Goldsmith requested Intrada assemble and master the LP and CD from the ½” four-track units but remove some of the electronic effects and woodwind colors assigned to the center channel where the problems were most prevalent. That left something of a vacuum in the final two-track stereo master. As a result, a then-generous 54 minutes of music with inherent compromises became the souvenir of Goldsmith’s impressive work.

For this release, the original 2” 24-track session rolls were unearthed, containing all of the information that did not make it into the four-track units and allowing for a brand new mix from scratch, resulting in the first proper two-track stereo mixes with all of those previously missing tracks. The final results are an altogether different audio experience, putting on display all of those additional orchestral colors and myriad electronic effects. And yet there's more -- now there is also a wealth of previously unreleased music to go with the stunning sonics—72 minutes in all!

Warlock Will also be available on 180-gram vinyl later this summer.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 310
Retail Price: $19.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9559/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's WARLOCK
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm 

finally :) i have been holding of getting the old Cd, waiting for the Big Boys to release this baddie :)
Thanx guys for doing this justice

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:39 pm 

I always liked this score. I even have one signed by Jerry Goldsmith. The samples sound terrific and I can't wait to hear the entire score, complete with superb sound. Much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:58 pm 

Wow,
In just sampling SALT FLATS with all overlays, I'm floored!
Similar to POLTERGEIST II's peculiar original album issue that just included electronics & orchestra and no chorus. WARLOCK was always good 'n' creepy, but seemed rather shallow... Now I know why. ;)

Always nice to get a superb, deluxe edition from the same source!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:36 pm 

Amazing! Somehow I've never gotten close to this score. Thanks a million once again, Intrada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:45 am 

Love it, need it :mrgreen: Thanks for a new great Goldsmith!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 am 

Nice to see this back in circulation with a complete overhaul.
Not only am I grateful for Intrada putting out reissues, but to improve on them is just something else.
Cant wait to get my hands on this new version of Warlock.
Thank you Doug & team Intrada.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:12 am 

Great news! It'll be fascinating to completely rediscover this score, which I've always enjoyed. I'm so familiar with the original Intrada release – it's had fairly regular plays over the past 20 or so years!! :shock: :shock: – that the new mix and elements will take a while to get used to, but it'll be great to hear something closer to Goldsmith's original intentions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:26 am 

Fantastic! Thank you very much. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:12 am 

I bought this as soon as I read the description, didn't even need to listen to the vastly improved clips.

I still think that the opening sounds like a glum hippopotamus tromping through the Bois de Boulogne in the year of our lord 1337. About the oddest start to a Goldsmith horror score ever, but an interesting follow-on from Lionheart from a couple years before.

And in some of the clips I'm hearing a connection to some of his action writing in Total Recall, never noticed that before, but no surprise, as he often trades ideas among contemporaneous scores as he adds more tools to his toolbox.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:42 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:05 am 

Wanted to say thanks for this magnificent release! Gave it a spin just now and the unreleased material as well as the new synth layers over the album tracks are a joy to behold. I've always hoped for this kind of treatment for Warlock and was afraid the previous album was all you had to work with, I'm glad that wasn't the case! Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:01 pm 

I can hardly believe how tremendous this score sounds now!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:41 am 

If you think you know this score from the first release--you DON'T. You've never even heard it. There are countless ways the addition of cues, synth overlays, and the wonderful new mix just lift his score to a new level. I used to occasionally pull out the old release for a listen and find myself admiring it on an intellectual level but not making much emotional contact. In this new iteration the score comes to life beautifully.

Thanks to Doug, Roger, and all involved with this release. You've given us a virtually "new" Goldsmith to revel in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:15 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next