[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Alan Parker's JAWS 3-D

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Alan Parker's JAWS 3-D
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:56 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

JAWS 3-D
Composed and Conducted by ALAN PARKER
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 322

For this latest edition in the Intrada Special Collection, Intrada has revisited an earlier Special Collection release -- Alan Parker's score to Jaws 3-D -- and remixed and reassembled the entire score for this 2-CD set. Although Jaws 3-D was Alan Parker's his first feature film assignment, he delivered an exciting and sometimes even romantic score, being the first Jaws score to feature a love theme. It is a rousing mixture of his own original material and the world-famous John Williams theme. Like Williams’ Jaws 2, it frequently takes a high-spirited approach, emphasizing the fun nature of the Sea World setting, with the main title featuring both the shark theme and a rousing motif for the water-skiers. Parker put his own stamp on the film’s shark music:

“While the main motif is exactly the same as John Williams’ [basses and cellos], I did a different horn thing for my own shark theme that would have a slight edge to it. There are two Great Whites here, a mother and a baby. So I wanted the score to differentiate their identities and level of threat. While their motif is the same, the baby has a lighter presence with two horns, woodwinds and strings. And when the mother comes in, she’s scored with six horns and intelthe entire trombone section. It’s music that has more ‘weight.’ It’s the difference between saying that one shark isn’t too bad and then suddenly hitting the audience between the eyes with something bigger and nastier.”

Parker composed and conducted enough music for two pictures. He made numerous rewrites and often recorded two different versions of his cues, recording one version at a given session, then making significant changes that altered not only the timing but the tone and intensity of the cue involved and recording the new version during another session. In the final cut, almost all of Parker’s cues are truncated, with a large portion of them being used in places for which they were not originally intended. For this release Intrada was provided with all the original 1” eight-channel scoring session masters of every cue; the ½” 15 ips Dolby A-encoded three-channel stereo mixes of all of the rewrites, overlays, stingers and other short bits; and the ¼” 15 ips Dolby A-encoded two-track stereo mixes of the source cues—everything that was recorded in London between late April and mid-June of 1983.

The film takes place in a brand new water park, where chief engineer Michael Brody is expecting a visit from his younger brother Sean, who is still terrified of the water after the shark attacks that haunted his childhood. As a series of mysterious deaths and disappearances plagues the park, Brody and his girlfriend, marine biologist Kay Morgan, discover another visitor—a small Great White shark. Kay tries and fails to keep the shark alive in captivity, but soon the cause of the deaths becomes apparent—the shark’s full-size mother, who is stalking the park’s lagoons.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 322
Retail Price: $29.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9653/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Alan Parker's JAWS 3-D
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:44 pm 

Ordered!

Another grail out of the list. Thanks Intrada.

There are some intriguing music in the listing, like "Tunnels and Tentacles". Also it is interesting to know that some alternate scenes for a TV version were considered and scored (but as far as I know never released - maybe they intended to suppress/replace some of the "out of the screen" 3-D shots on which the effects do not look soo good in 2D). Hope the film came out in Blu Ray 3-D someday with some of the various deleted scenes from the orginal edit supervised by Joe Alves.

The cover is an improvement over the previous edition (the title was a little stretched vertically in the other and covered the sharks eyes).

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:21 pm 

Good God!!
How many splendid, gargantuan 2CD sets do you have scheduled for release this year??!!

Unexpected DoubleD goodness here!!

Thanks, Hamsters!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:40 pm 

Auto-order!, Intrada is releasing some amazing music. This has been a banner year thus far.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:57 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:37 pm 

Just awesome. Intrada has the last word on another comprehensive Jaws release, and so shortly after the previous one! Can't wait for more. :)

Thank you, guys.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:50 pm 

This will have a very treasured place in my soundtrack collection.

Sheesh, it's been over thirty years since I first saw this in the theater. Hard to believe its been that long since I was first introduced to 3-D, heard Alan Parker's score in Dolby Stereo (which led to me promptly begging my Dad for the soundtrack, which I didn't expect since I'd thought you could not have Jaws without John Williams composing), and found myself introduced to Lea Thompson in a swim suit (along with John Putch's college cowboy Sean Brody in speedo underwear). One of the things that surprised me was how large the orchestration was, with a triumphant theme played by strings and horns for the water skiers, a gorgeous melody for Sea World (and the dolphins) for full orchestra, and the expected "shark theme" by Williams for the monster itself. Alan Parker didn't seem to do much film composing outside of this third installment of the Jaws series, but he did a fantastic job and provided one of the film's highlights.

Anyway, thanks so much to the Grand Poobah, everyone at Intrada, and Universal for coming together and making this one happen. Nice to know that it's been preserved in full along with Michael Small's score for Jaws: The Revenge.

2 down, 2 to go.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:19 pm 

Intrada is the only label getting my $$ this year. Phenomenal job.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:24 pm 

This. is SO. Ordered.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:13 pm 

My GOD!

The Opening Day revised version is breathtaking! The violin chasing the horns in the "Silver Bullet" theme is heaven recorded!
I am impatiently awaiting my CD in the mail!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:39 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:34 pm 

By the way things are going,
I'll bet by the end of this year, one of Roger's clues will be...

"2 of 4"

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:49 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:30 am 

Hello all,
I don't mean to sound unappreciative or even like an old sour grape but I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the "pending fulfillment" status a little longer than usual with this 2CD edition of "Jaws 3-D"? I am assuming that this particular release is very popular and therefore a lot of orders need to be finalized but I still felt I needed to ask because I've always received really quick responses from the team at Intrada when ordering items, it just seems a little unusual. Sorry Roger, I am a patient person albeit a little concerned, is all.

UPDATE: Ah, just received confirmation that my order has been fulfilled. Hope I didn't upset anyone, I'm just excited about receiving this particular soundtrack!

Last edited by Silodweller on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:58 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next