[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Lalo Schifrin's COOGAN'S BLUFF

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Lalo Schifrin's COOGAN'S BLUFF
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:00 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

COOGAN'S BLUFF
Composed and Conductd by LALO SCHIFRIN
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 223

The overall shape of Lalo Schifrin’s score to the 1968 Universal Pictures film Coogan's Bluff is one big arch, similar to what takes place on screen. The music encompasses a variety of idioms from western to eastern, journeying through outdoor desert to the urban sprawl of the Big Apple, through jazz-rockfunk and the underground dance scene right into the sixties counterculture replete with tabla and sitar. Two dynamic vocal numbers, composed and conducted by Schifrin with full big band accompaniment, get prominent main title credit. Like the film, the score ultimately comes down to an exciting chase, with Schifrin bringing his orchestra back in bravura style. Coogan’s Bluff proved to be terrific training ground for Clint Eastwood and Lalo Schifrin, whose Dirty Harry series was on the horizon a few years down the line.

For this album, Intrada was given access to the complete, original 1/2˝ three-channel stereo scoring session masters, housed in the Universal Pictures vaults in mint condition.

In the film, Coogan’s (Clint Eastwood) superiors send him to Manhattan to extradite James Ringerman, a drug addict wanted for a murder committed in Arizona. Expecting an in-and-out visit to the Big Apple, Coogan is frustrated by big city bureaucracy and is expected to cool his heels indefinitely until the prisoner is released to him from Bellevue. Coogan bluffs his way into the hospital to retrieve Ringerman, only to lose his prisoner—and his gun. He makes his way through New York’s seedy underbelly in search of his prey, both helped and hindered by two women. Coogan manages to capture Ringerman in a lively motorcycle chase and finally submits to the bureaucratic delays before taking his prisoner back to Arizona.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 223
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7918/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Lalo Schifrin's COOGAN'S BLUFF
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 pm 
I recently asked for more Schifrin, and here's some Schifrin at his most entertaining. Love it.

We are extremely fortunate that so many older scores have had their masters kept in such excellent condition. Thanks for the good work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 pm 

Ordered!

Don Siegel/Clint Eastwood/Lalo Schifrin :shock:

Finally a CD of this excellent late 60's classic! The film is damn good, Don Stroud's performance as the riff-raff fugitive evading capture holds strong to this day. A great actor, his "bad guy" roles are menacing as hell. If memory serves I believe Clint Eastwood beats the hell out of one or two New York hippies along the way. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:47 am 

Ordered! One of my holy grails! The samples sound great. Cool stuff and a prelude to Schifrins Dirty Harry Score.

Is JOE KIDD next? ;-)

Holy Grails: PSYIII/ESC TO ATHENA/M'RAKER/WILD GEESE II/NIGHTGEN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 am 

A excellent release. One of the year's best. Instantly ordered

Thanks, for this one, Intrada!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:15 pm 

This is the year of Lalo Schifrin! This one is also ordered - thanks again to Universal, Doug, Roger and the Intrada team.

Keep bringing out those Universal goodies!!!...:-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:06 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:11 am 

Just had to bag this little treasure.
First High Plains Drifter & now this.
Hope we get to see a few more unreleased scores to Eastwood's classics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:55 am 

The Eastwood scores are really a large field with many gems still to unearth!

But it's unbelievable to already have Drifter and Coogan. I would have never thought that.

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 am 

I'm really enjoying this. A very fine release. Initially I was getting ready to moan about the cue "Pushie's Pool" being joined to the sitar cue I wanted to program out (I hate the sound of sitar)... but I soon saw that "Pushie's Pool" was also in the extras section, separated and free of the sitar stuff. So I'm very happy about having the option to choose between the two, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 am 

More Lalo is always welcome! Ordered along with Conan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:01 pm 

This a just a wonderful release! To hear this early Schifrin/Siegel/Eastwood collaboration in such pristine sound is thrilling beyond words. (And I'm glad to have "Pigeon Toed Orange Peel" at long last.)

One suggestion for future releases--might I suggest that cues like the "Cartoon Background" be relegated to the bonus cues. It has a tendency to take one out of the score proper. This is nitpicking of the highest order, I hasten to add.

Thanks to Doug, Roger, and the crew at Universal for gifting us with this Schifrin gem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm 

Coogan's Bluff arrived today. I just finished my first listen, really enjoyed it, brilliant sound, lovely release. It's been a long forty four year wait but worth it. Thanks Intrada folks! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 am 

I enjoy reading the booklet notes almost as much as listening to the recordings. They're always well balanced, never condescending and very informative.

Coogan's Bluff is a landmark release.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 pm 

This is just a wonderful CD - a great listen along with the usual outstanding liner notes.

I'm proud to have added this to my collection.

Thanks again to Intrada for a truly fine release!...:-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next