[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The James Bond Theme - What's Your Favorite Arrangement?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: The James Bond Theme - What's Your Favorite Arrangement?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:58 am 

Discounting the original from Dr. No, what is your favorite version of The James Bond Theme from any of the films in the series? For example, for me,"James Bond With Bongos" from FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is the perfect rendition of the theme as far as orchestration goes. Plus it helps that its tempo(?) is spot on, keeping time with Sean Connery's strut through Istanbul's airport.

Post subject: Re: The James Bond Theme - What's Your Favorite Arrangement?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:22 am 

I'm particularly fond of Bond 77 theme from The Spy Who Loved Me.
Just love that era for music.

A special mention must go to A License To Kill, only because I crave to have that score released.
More Kamen is a must.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:38 am 

There's a lot of "trains" running through this thread already! In fact, "Bond '77" must be my favorite cue from Marvin Hamlisch's entire career. But my preference is split between two cues by the master, John Barry:

1) GOLDFINGER's "Bond Back in Action" -- for me the definitive rendition of that theme. The sequence gives us everything: urgency, speed, the danger of Bond's solo demolition mission, and the agility of Sean Connery in his prime. But the propulsion of Barry's underscore lifts the action (and along with it, the series) into legend.

But there's also:

2) DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER's "Bond Meets Bambi and Thumper" -- to me, the single most sinister arrangement. Although I haven't actually watched this in many years and have largely forgotten the picture, 44 years of revisiting the soundtrack album have kept vivid in my memory the sight of the unarmed Bond (Connery back in the role and looking, appropriately, older and more vulnerable than ever) warily backing away from the two bikini-clad, highly dangerous young women who advance toward him, backed by the low-key tension of Barry's cue. (The prospect of our habitually womanizing gentleman hero facing his end at the hands of two females, who sport the names of two innocent, cheerful Disney cartoon characters, heightens the ironic dread which Barry achieves.)

Edit: I'm sorry, but a better-informed friend has told me that "Bond Meets Bambi and Thumper" plays in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER as Bond arrives at the house and ends before he is actually attacked. Therefore, my remarks above reflect my internal associations from decades of listening to the album, rather than what the cue truly does in the movie. In that case, another arrangement I'll cite is:

3) ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE's "This Never Happened to the Other Feller," which has an aggression born of Barry's apparent intention to "sell" the audience on a new actor cast as Bond (before his full face is revealed), as well as referencing the eventual high-speed jockeying of the two sports cars on the deserted beachside road. This one I know well from its film.

Last edited by Steven Lloyd on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:40 pm 

BOND BACK IN ACTION has always been a favorite. Versions in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS and ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE are also good. My all time favorite, however, is not from a film: Roland Shaw's full orchestral version. Just seems to have a fuller-bodied, sophisticated feel to it than the movies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:44 pm 

My favorite arrangement of the James Bond Theme is the version by Sy Zentner and his orchestra.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:02 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:47 pm 

I love it in 'A View To A Kill' when Bond is chasing MayDay on the Eifel Tower and the full orchestral version of the Bond theme kicks into gear with no electric guitar, just violins!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:23 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:55 am 

My favourite will always be Ice Chase from The Living Daylights. Classic orchestral style fused with (for the time) a great modern production.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:18 pm 

It's a very brief arrangement, but I've always loved "Bond to Holland" from DaF, the way it begins with the cool, unflappable strings, and then starts to build with the jazzy cymbal and low brass punches, and culminates with Derek Watkins' screaming trumpet work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:53 pm 
My vote also goes to Kamen's slick arrangement for License to Kill. Special mention goes to the performance on the 1966 album "Great Movie Sounds of John Barry." That album contains some of the fiercest brass you'll ever hear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]