[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces James Horner's THE ROCKETEER

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces James Horner's THE ROCKETEER
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:55 pm 

Please always maintain the original wide dynamic range!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:54 pm 

I was just comparing the new Cutthroat Island to the Prometheus release. Interesting and similar case. The Prometheus release has the natural dynamic range, the LaLa has the audio compressed. The latter has a thicker sound. On the other hand, the Prometheus release has too much noise reduction used which has removed some of the high end. The sound is crisper (and a little hissier) on the LaLa, which I prefer. I would prefer full dynamic range and little noise reduction as possible. Yikes!

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:35 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:58 pm 

Absolutely love how Intrada in particularly handles their projects with so much care to present the recorded music in close to its original dynamic range. Agreed the days of LP compression are over (and then some) There is no joy in listening to the score when compression robs the oomph and high end of the recording. A recent Intrada job such as WARLOCK where all the missing channels and mixes made for an indelible sound. Comparing the original Intrada release and its subsequent reissue was matter of night and day. Absolutely riveting sound field. Then there was RCA Victor label, who had one job to do and they ruined THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK/RETURN OF THE JEDI 2cd sets by using too much compression. Leaving a sour note to the fans.

Listening to THE ROCKETEER in its original dynamic sound and the OST program is a feast. I like both the versions and yet both sound clear and pristine.

With the superb JAWS restoration ( a miracle on its own) and of course the mono /stereo presentations of CHINATOWN are very good examples of Intrada's talent and genius in faithfully reproducing the original sound as close to the real deal. Kudos!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:41 am 

I like natural dinamic range.
My problem is with excessive hiss, which specially in scores with high dinamic range can be distracting in the quieter parts.
I find amazing what Matessino has done with minimizing the hiss in FSM Poltergeist (using the same source used for the Rhino) and Jaws, keeping the music natural. I'd love if Intrada revisited Jaws The Revenge and Love At First Bite to reduce the hiss on those.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:26 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:49 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 pm 

I'd like to chime in too. My work has taken me to recording sessions and feature film mixes for the past twenty-plus years. I don't generally prefer my film music listening experiences outside studio environments to be noticeably compressed, in no small part because the whole reason I listen to film music outside the film is to recreate a dramatic/emotional experience. You simply can't do that successfully without making the music as capable of impact and surprise in that environment as it was in the film itself. To that end I'll often catch myself riding the levels of my CDs on transitional cues where it feels just a bit too flat on the album to deliver the fullness of impact. (Remembering Childhood from HOOK, at that moment where Charlie connects with the ball, is an excellent example of this.)

Compression may be great for subway travel, but unless it's applied very, very judiciously – I mean VERY minimal compression, as would be applied in necessary situations only – it ruins the intent of the music, even subliminally. I want the score to soar. For years I'd sometimes avoided listening to the Horner-produced ROCKETEER album for exactly this reason.

Dynamics are everything – in music as in life. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:34 pm 

I also vote in favor of retaining the natural dynamic range. No compression whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:47 am 

BACK IN STOCK! :D

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10318/.f

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:07 am 

Hi Doug/Roger

So I understand only DISC 1 is remastered here and disc 2 was already had the same level of remastering that the OST here. (Or any adjustment made on Disc 2 OST Program this time as well? )

Kindly clarify. I do intend to order this again. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:14 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 am 

Thank you sir, regards.

Amer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:18 pm 

Sold out already wow, glad I ordered right away. Amazing how one of Horner’s fastest to compose works was one of his best

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next