Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces James Horner's THE ROCKETEER
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:55 pm 

Please always maintain the original wide dynamic range!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:54 pm 

I was just comparing the new Cutthroat Island to the Prometheus release. Interesting and similar case. The Prometheus release has the natural dynamic range, the LaLa has the audio compressed. The latter has a thicker sound. On the other hand, the Prometheus release has too much noise reduction used which has removed some of the high end. The sound is crisper (and a little hissier) on the LaLa, which I prefer. I would prefer full dynamic range and little noise reduction as possible. Yikes!

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:35 pm 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
Ironically sound had to be compressed for LPs because the physical material of vinyl wouldn't allow for a wide dynamic range. It was one of the original selling points of the CD medium that you could have a full dynamic range without the need for compression. Kind of interesting that people seem to prefer the compressed sound! Or perhaps they just don't appreciate the natural acoustic. Thoughts?

I just answered this question on the FSM board, and then wondered why I hadn't posted it here instead. I am not under the misapprehension that anybody is waiting on my opinion with baited breath, but since you asked…

I personally love the full dynamic range of CDs. But my life doesn't love that dynamic range so much.

I have a not-bad stereo system (it sounds good to me, though I have no doubt that audiophiles would turn up their noses). But it only gets played (for my CDs) maybe a half-dozen times a year. The sound travels through most of my house. So when the kids are doing homework, or sleeping, or my wife is working, or just wants some peace and quiet, it's really not an option (at least not at the volume needed to appreciate the quieter parts of that dynamic range).

So the vast majority of the time, I listen to music on smaller speakers in my home office, or in my car (my commute is now close to an hour both ways). And honestly, some compression (not a huge amount, certainly) can make it easier to appreciate the music in those circumstances.

Now before you say to me "Just because you can't listen to your stereo system so often, I should have to suffer with compressed music?", let me assure you that is not my wish. I do believe in preserving the widest range.

But if the request was for thoughts on why sometimes a compressed sound might be preferred… well, it's just a pragmatic choice based on my own life. I can appreciate the natural acoustic, but in my general life, it's not an option very often. I'm sure I'm not alone. For people who live in apartment buildings, or dorms, or with roommates, or who can't afford higher end audio equipment, the full dynamic range can be problematic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:58 pm 

Absolutely love how Intrada in particularly handles their projects with so much care to present the recorded music in close to its original dynamic range. Agreed the days of LP compression are over (and then some) There is no joy in listening to the score when compression robs the oomph and high end of the recording. A recent Intrada job such as WARLOCK where all the missing channels and mixes made for an indelible sound. Comparing the original Intrada release and its subsequent reissue was matter of night and day. Absolutely riveting sound field. Then there was RCA Victor label, who had one job to do and they ruined THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK/RETURN OF THE JEDI 2cd sets by using too much compression. Leaving a sour note to the fans.

Listening to THE ROCKETEER in its original dynamic sound and the OST program is a feast. I like both the versions and yet both sound clear and pristine.

With the superb JAWS restoration ( a miracle on its own) and of course the mono /stereo presentations of CHINATOWN are very good examples of Intrada's talent and genius in faithfully reproducing the original sound as close to the real deal. Kudos!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:41 am 

I like natural dinamic range.
My problem is with excessive hiss, which specially in scores with high dinamic range can be distracting in the quieter parts.
I find amazing what Matessino has done with minimizing the hiss in FSM Poltergeist (using the same source used for the Rhino) and Jaws, keeping the music natural. I'd love if Intrada revisited Jaws The Revenge and Love At First Bite to reduce the hiss on those.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:26 am 

danbeck wrote:
My problem is with excessive hiss, which specially in scores with high dinamic range can be distracting in the quieter parts.
I find amazing what Matessino has done with minimizing the hiss in FSM Poltergeist (using the same source used for the Rhino) and Jaws, keeping the music natural. I'd love if Intrada revisited Jaws The Revenge and Love At First Bite to reduce the hiss on those.

The dynamic range and hiss are not related, it has more to do with the source elements and how it was recorded. I don't think the sources on Poltergeist and Jaws were as hissy as the other two you mentioned. You can only remove so much before you start altering the high range of the music and another policy of ours is not to use so much NR that it affects the music.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:38 pm 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
danbeck wrote:

The dynamic range and hiss are not related, it has more to do with the source elements and how it was recorded. I don't think the sources on Poltergeist and Jaws were as hissy as the other two you mentioned. You can only remove so much before you start altering the high range of the music and another policy of ours is not to use so much NR that it affects the music.

Yes I mixed things a bit. If you have a hissy source compressing it will also highlight the hiss in the softer portions were the volume was increased.

On dinamic range I'm in favour to keep it as natural as possible. And Intrada is doing the right thing to this respect. I'm very happy with the sound of the Rocketeer complete score.

On noise reduction I tended to agree with the less is more approach. However more recently I've been convinced that it is possible to minimize hiss without sacrificing the music. Hiss can be distracting, specially on scores with softer passages. Rhino's Poltergeist was hissy and from the comments of Mike Matessino it seems that Jaws was very very hissy, but he managed to minimize it keeping a very good and natural sound on these scores.
In the case of Jaws The Revenge the alternative could be to go back one generation to the multy tracks and remix it, but I understand that it is not a major score that may be worth the cost/effort of doing it (and in that case then having a lot of people complaing that the new mix would be different to the film mix).
It is just that Intrada could consider a bit more NR on very hissy scores, to minimize the hiss a bit when distracting.

In any case Intrada remains my favourite label, for doing the best to preserve the natural acoustics of its releases. I really hate distortion/brickwalling that sometimes exist in other labels releases.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:49 am 

danbeck wrote:
Roger Feigelson wrote:
danbeck wrote:

Yes I mixed things a bit. If you have a hissy source compressing it will also highlight the hiss in the softer portions were the volume was increased.

On dinamic range I'm in favour to keep it as natural as possible. And Intrada is doing the right thing to this respect. I'm very happy with the sound of the Rocketeer complete score.

On noise reduction I tended to agree with the less is more approach. However more recently I've been convinced that it is possible to minimize hiss without sacrificing the music. Hiss can be distracting, specially on scores with softer passages. Rhino's Poltergeist was hissy and from the comments of Mike Matessino it seems that Jaws was very very hissy, but he managed to minimize it keeping a very good and natural sound on these scores.
In the case of Jaws The Revenge the alternative could be to go back one generation to the multy tracks and remix it, but I understand that it is not a major score that may be worth the cost/effort of doing it (and in that case then having a lot of people complaing that the new mix would be different to the film mix).
It is just that Intrada could consider a bit more NR on very hissy scores, to minimize the hiss a bit when distracting.

In any case Intrada remains my favourite label, for doing the best to preserve the natural acoustics of its releases. I really hate distortion/brickwalling that sometimes exist in other labels releases.

We generally go to the primary source when we produce albums, and Jaws The Revenge was from first generation masters. I'm listening to it now with headphones and barely hear any hiss. Are you sure you're not confusing our current release with the promo that came out that was derived from Small's personal 1/4" copies?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 pm 

I'd like to chime in too. My work has taken me to recording sessions and feature film mixes for the past twenty-plus years. I don't generally prefer my film music listening experiences outside studio environments to be noticeably compressed, in no small part because the whole reason I listen to film music outside the film is to recreate a dramatic/emotional experience. You simply can't do that successfully without making the music as capable of impact and surprise in that environment as it was in the film itself. To that end I'll often catch myself riding the levels of my CDs on transitional cues where it feels just a bit too flat on the album to deliver the fullness of impact. (Remembering Childhood from HOOK, at that moment where Charlie connects with the ball, is an excellent example of this.)

Compression may be great for subway travel, but unless it's applied very, very judiciously – I mean VERY minimal compression, as would be applied in necessary situations only – it ruins the intent of the music, even subliminally. I want the score to soar. For years I'd sometimes avoided listening to the Horner-produced ROCKETEER album for exactly this reason.

Dynamics are everything – in music as in life. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:34 pm 

I also vote in favor of retaining the natural dynamic range. No compression whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:47 am 

BACK IN STOCK! :D

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10318/.f