Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 am
Posts: 15
T. Newman Fan wrote:
McD wrote:
I've never detected much of Christopher Young when watching A Matter of Minutes. But with the clarity on the available sound sample, you can tell instantly you are listening to no one else but the composer of Hellraiser.

That is one of the quintessential Twilight Zone scores, styled not too dissimilarly from some of Goldsmith’s masterful work on the original series (think "Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room").


I'm not familiar with it, but I have all the blurays, so will check it out today probably. It's a shame Jerry couldn't have done a token NTZ episode just to keep his hand in for every incarnation. [And more importantly, to guarantee 2,000 sales of whichever volume his contribution appeared in]

You can hear Young's horror mode dripping in Goldsmith on Elm Street #2, but by Hellraiser it's the same voice with much less of the influence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:53 pm
Posts: 25
I saw a few of these back in the day, but never saw most of the episodes. (My favorite is One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty, a lovely performance by Peter Riegert.) But I've been so intrigued with this release that not only did I order the music, I'm also getting the dvd collection so I can see 'em all.

So glad Intrada went to the trouble and expense of putting this together. Anyone hoping for a volume 2 better darn well order this toot suite. Nothing tells a company "don't bother" like not purchasing the (maybe) first edition.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 2798
This album reaffirms “Dead Woman’s Shoes” as my favorite of Safan’s scores. Great string writing that melds perfectly with the sax.

The JAC Redford score did not resonate with me when I saw the episode, but I find it a bit more enthralling on album.

Of his two efforts, I already mentioned my preference for Kaplan’s score for “Red Snow” in the pre-release thread, though like the Redford score, this album gives me a bit of a newfound appreciation for his work on the Camelot segment. That said, Ron Goodwin will continue as my usual go-to for excellence in regality. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 am
Posts: 15
Oh my... the first report from a civilian.

T. Newman Fan wrote:
This album reaffirms “Dead Woman’s Shoes” as my favorite of Safan’s scores. Great string writing that melds perfectly with the sax.


His NTZ scores, or everything?

Dead Woman's Shoes is great stuff, although I've always preferred Safan's best two, To See The Invisible Man and Opening Day. That said, I posted elsewhere that DWS might work best of Safan's NTZ scores for those who listen cold and haven't seen (and perhaps have no intention of seeing) the actual episodes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 2798
McD wrote:
Oh my... the first report from a civilian.

T. Newman Fan wrote:
This album reaffirms “Dead Woman’s Shoes” as my favorite of Safan’s scores. Great string writing that melds perfectly with the sax.


His NTZ scores, or everything?

Dead Woman's Shoes is great stuff, although I've always preferred Safan's best two, To See The Invisible Man and Opening Day. That said, I posted elsewhere that DWS might work best of Safan's NTZ scores for those who listen cold and haven't seen (and perhaps have no intention of seeing) the actual episodes.

Among his Twilight Zone scores. Overall, I am extremely fond of his work for the likes of Son of the Morning Star, Remo Williams, Last Starfighter and Corvette Summer.

I’m personally quite familiar with the actual episodes, but Dead Woman’s Shoes has my favorite music. For the actual show itself, music notwithstanding, To See the Invisible Man is my favorite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 am
Posts: 53
Location: Chicagoland
I am currently listening to the samples... DAMN!!!!

I am only vaguely familiar with this series. I really enjoyed the Amazing Stories anthologies, and I figured that this would probably be in similar in style.

The music on this set is even better than I expected.

It is rent week so I can't buy it today, but next week, I am SO ordering this set.

Thanks Intrada!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:47 pm
Posts: 3680
JeffM wrote:
I am currently listening to the samples... DAMN!!!!

I am only vaguely familiar with this series. I really enjoyed the Amazing Stories anthologies, and I figured that this would probably be in similar in style.

The music on this set is even better than I expected.

It is rent week so I can't buy it today, but next week, I am SO ordering this set.

Thanks Intrada!


It's actually a great companion to the Amazing Stories albums.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 pm
Posts: 74
any notions on which autographs are whose? The top left looks like it might be Alan Brennert.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 am
Posts: 15
sans sense wrote:
any notions on which autographs are whose? The top left looks like it might be Alan Brennert.
Image


Top left is Brennert. Right, up the side, is Safan. The squiggle in the middle is Dennis McCarthy.

William Goldstein was supposedly also in attendance according to one report, but doesn't appear to have signed the copies that were posted out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 am
Posts: 15
Finally received all of this set... Wow! Huge congratulations. The absolute jewel in my soundtrack collection.

I heard that the music comes from pristine master tapes. And it sounds like it. But can I ask Roger, or anyone else in the know, if Craig Safan's 'Wong's Lost and Found Emporium' came from another source? It doesn't sound bad at all, but everything else sounds so immediate and in stunning clarity... Wong sounds more distant than everything these. It may have been recorded like that, so was just wondering.

But what a set!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 2798
McD wrote:
But can I ask Roger, or anyone else in the know, if Craig Safan's 'Wong's Lost and Found Emporium' came from another source? It doesn't sound bad at all, but everything else sounds so immediate and in stunning clarity... Wong sounds more distant than everything these. It may have been recorded like that, so was just wondering.

But what a set!

I also took note of that as a small bit of curiosity. That score sounds like it was perhaps sourced from a mono backup copy, while others are in relatively crisp stereo.

I, too, am loving this set (especially the Poledouris, Goldstein and Steiner stuff).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 am
Posts: 15
The theme and end titles have a distant sound to them too, although they were like that the first time on the '98 Silva Screen disc. And I really can't tell if they're supposed to sound sharper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 am
Posts: 1313
Location: USA
Great release! I'm with Roger, too; this is a great companion to the Amazing Stories release. Intrada, once again, shows why they remain my favorite label. Thanks to all involved on this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 747
And on sale for $24.99 as of 11/22/16.

Terrific set, beautifully put together - receives a lot of play here. I thought I'd bump this in light of the sale & 'Doug's Corner', which adds a little more insight from Intrada's poobah.

-Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces THE TWLIGHT ZONE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:10 pm
Posts: 1
If there is any chance of a volume 2, please try to include The Star from season one by Morton Stevens.

And I want to thank you so much for including the music from Her Pilgrim Soul on this first volume. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group