[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Bruce Broughton's LOST IN SPACE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Bruce Broughton's LOST IN SPACE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:30 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

LOST IN SPACE
Composed and Conducted by BRUCE BROUGHTON
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 340

With the latest release from their long-standing relationship with composer Bruce Broughton, Intrada revisits Broughton's massive score to the 1998 film version of Lost in Space. Broughton had two-and-a-half weeks to score the film and that it’s one of the richest, grandest scaled and most thematically compelling scores of his career is a testament to Broughton’s professionalism and talent. Not only scored on a tight schedule, but the picture underwent numerous changes even as Broughton was attempting to finalize his score and record it with the Sinfonia of London. The composer had to write and record in haste and revise and re-score numerous sequences right up until the last minute. The resulting score is remarkably coherent, strongly melodic in its thematic elements, powerful in its majestic moments, and ferocious in its action sequences.

This new release expands upon the previous release, and now covers 2-CDs, including many alternates and revisions. Intrada revisited the complete session masters, recorded digitally during February and March 1998. The assembly follows Broughton’s initial plan, with full cues playing in their originally intended sequence, including a significant highlight -- the almost completely unused action set piece "Major Mayhem" that follows the main title.

The film retains the narrative of the original Irwin Allen TV from the '60s on which the movie is based. A space family Robinson sets out to colonize Alpha Centauri, only to lift off with a saboteur trapped on board. The ship is sent off course and is lost in space as the Robinsons deal with deadly space spiders, time bubbles and exploding planets, only to come out without any idea where they are or how to get home.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 340
Retail Price: $29.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9966/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Bruce Broughton's LOST IN SPACE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:03 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
A welcome release as far as I am concerned, as I have not picked up any prior release.
Excellent. Will order this along with the Twilight Zone Set.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:29 am 

This may be my favorite Broughton score. Simply phenomenal orchestral writing. To give just one example, the darkly sinuous cello in "Decades Old/I'm Your Son/Time Machine," starting from around 2:12 ... the way the line flows and coils around the spectral time warp theme ... it gives me chills every time I hear it. Magnificent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:35 am 

I picked this up at the Creature Features signing event along with Rescuers Down Under.

Bruce Broughton is a bit of a new discovery for me, and I'm really enjoying those long form themes, and I guess "bright" composition.

He's also got a knack for aggressive action cues on occasion, and was really cool in person to boot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 pm 

You're discovering the master Bruce Broughton with 2 of his greatest works. 2 very melodic, strongly thematic, orchestrally rich scores. His Indiana Jones and his Star Wars, back to back ! Some of the best scores ever written for movies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:47 pm 

Dunno how I missed out on this score before (outside a DL of the end title I bought some years ago), but this is great. Broughton at his Broughtoniest (:D).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:41 am 

Can't wait to receive my signed copy from Creature Features! I didn't expect such a release, that's great! More is better.

I'll keep my original CD (MAF 7086) I own for 18 years (!), as it's an album very well conceived.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:00 pm 

At first I wondered if this would be worth a purchase as the original Intrada is such a good album - even a bit long (because so much of the music is a workout), though I love every minute. And I'm also not much for alternates by and large.

But Broughton is such a fine and inventive composer that I just can't resist hearing more of what he did here for one of my favorite of his scores. Plus I tend to see these purchases as votes of support for what Intrada is doing - and this one gets two discs up!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:17 am 

So excited for this! This was my first soundtrack album I ever bought, back when I was 13 I believe. Definitely one of Broughton's best film scores; amazing themes, great action sequences, and some pretty emotional sections.

I'm also really hoping this is one step closer to getting Broughton's theme park music released.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:40 pm 

Picked this one up in the sale as I wasn't 100% sure I wanted a full on presentation as I don't play the previous release much apart from the through the planet cue. But I must admit more is better in the case of this one. Definitely a Broughton epic and of course they just don't write these scores any more which is a great shame. Great to have the Space battle music and the alternates to through the planet. The Spider attack was always a cue I never really enjoyed for some reason but now that has changed. Really intense piece. Overall sound is a step up too; much more weight here.

I was wondering why Jerry Goldsmith was not mentioned as the original composer for this in the notes though. I am sure JG was the original choice and had intended to do it but had to finish U.S. Marshals I think?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]